“Could do with some work”

Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taverham
Worcestershire, United Kingdom
“Could do with some work”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

Great reception area and nice bar area. Rooms dated and walls paper thin. Avoid a downstairs room unless you want to hear the upstairs bath water dripping. Super slow wifi which is frustrating these days

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms are the best
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank GuestHere2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
East Kilbride, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

I recently stayed in this hotel for 1 night during a business trip to Norwich. On arrival we were allocated our room which seemed to be furthest from the main hotel, the room was boiling hot - no air conditioning or even a fan. It also smelled as if someone had been smoking in the room. the furniture was marked, the bathroom floor was split and looked as if the dirt was ingrained into the floor covering. the walls were marked. the saving grace was that at least the sheets were clean.

Some of the guest were so drunk and loud that thankfully the girl behind the bar refused to serve one girl with any more alcohol. Whilst I understand that the hotel cannot be held accountable for guest behaviour it was very off putting.

Next morning while my husband was finishing breakfast I went to reception to pay the balance of our bill, which I paid in cash. We then went off to our business meeting only to be met with a voicemail from the hotel saying we had left without paying the balance of our bill. Naturally I was a tad annoyed about this and explained that I had paid in cash that morning. The person on the phone asked around the others at reception and finally I heard one girl say " oh yeh that's right I forgot"?????????????????? The person speaking to me did not even apologise for the call or voicemail - I was simply told " It's ok - goodbye" ???

I travel all over the world on business and this is undoubtedly the 2nd worst place I have ever stayed- I have no idea how this hotel has a 3 star rating. I would like to point out that the boy behind the bar on Monday night was extremely pleasant and helpful, otherwise it seemed as if the staff could not care less.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Gail B
Witham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Just returned from my 3rd visit with my golf society. Everything as I would haver hoped for. Rooms spotlessly clean, dinner excellent, bar fairly priced etc. Both courses were in excellent condition - shame my game wasn't up to them!
Above all it's the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff that make this place stand out. Every year they put up with our crowd of 30 or so grumpy old men with a smile. Thank you again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

We booked our wedding at Wensum Valley as that is where we had our first date over 10 years ago!!! We got married on Easter Sunday 20th April 2014 and our day was so special to us in every way. Gennie the Events Manager was so helpful and all of the staff could not do enough for us. The day went so smoothly and that is what I needed as I was 4 months pregnant so I just wanted a chilled out day. All our wedding guests were so complementary about the venue and the food. Also my Dad who is a hard man to please said the day could not have gone any better.

I would recommend this venue to anyone, I am a florist and visit a lot of venues and Wensum are always so professional and helpful.

Michelle Ashby was Cannell

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Michelle A
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2014

We booked our wedding here over 18 Months ago after falling in love with the stunning views across the golf course. The wedding finally took place on the 25th May 2014 and we could not have asked for a better service from the staff from start to finish in the planning and on the actual day.
Nothing was too much trouble to organise from the menu down to the table decorations, all was taken care of by the staff taking the stress away from ourselves on the build up and on the day. Gennie the events manager could not have been more helpful, accomidating anything we asked for and keeping in costant touch with us.
The food was excellent and many compliments were made by our guests, with all dietry requirement being met and special menus for fussy eaters and children.
The bridal suite we had for the whole day to get ready in and stay the wedding night in was cleaned and set out to a very high standard, with towels and complimentary toileteries provided
All in all we would highly recommend booking your special day here and intend to revisit again soon.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sue O
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

For what you get from these standard rooms they are over priced. Although they are clean they are basic rooms nothing special to warrant the cost. We were kept up the first night until around 2-3am which turned out to be the snooker room extractor fan which the owner found the next morning as the staff in the evening could not sort. Having played 11 holes the golf course is good. The food is ok nothing to shout about again should reflect in the price. Staff were helpful when required, however to sum up 5 star prices for 3 star rooms.

Stayed May 2014
Laxfield, null, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2014

We booked a family room with breakfast at the Golf club for a Wedding we were attending. Having never been here before we didn't have any expectations.
The Reception Area and all the rooms were clearly marked which always helps. When we arrived the receptionist that checked us in was really efficient, making check in short so we could get to our room.
I have to say that my boys faces were a picture when they went into our room, it was huge! It consisted of a King size (or maybe super king, not sure) bed and 3 single beds plus seating area and large TV. The bathroom had both a bath and walk in shower, which was a surprise. The room was very clean, well presented and plenty of towels and toiletries for our use. The only down side I could find for our entire stay was that there was no air conditioning or ventilation, which would have helped on such a warm day.
We all enjoyed the Wedding at the Venue, the meal we had at the Wedding was really good and they catered really well for a Gluten Free Diet. Drinks were sensibly priced and all the staff were friendly. Good day had by everyone.
Breakfast in the morning was lovely, Cereals, Yogurt and a coupe of tinned fruits along with fruit juices were available for you to help yourself. The staff quickly poured any coffee and teas required and took orders for a cooked breakfast, again gluten free bread was readily available as soon as requested. The breakfast was really good.
After breakfast we made use of the swimming pool, there was also a spa, sauna and Jacuzzi and also a gym. The staff were so helpful, towels were supplied and during our swim one of the lifeguards saw that we were teaching our boys swimming so got some floats to help us.
A fantastic time had by all, would recommend to anyone and hope to visit again when time to use more of the facilities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
WensumValleyHotelGC, Front Office Manager at Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Hello Sandra,

Thank-you for your kind review, we are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Wensum Valley, we are also glad that the Leisure team were able to support you in helping your sons to swim.

I will pass your kind comments on to all the departments and we will look forward to Welcoming you back to Wensum Valley in the future.

Kind Regards
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taverham
Dunston Hall
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,075 reviews
Holiday Inn Norwich
Holiday Inn Norwich
#21 of 50 in Norwich

Been to Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!