“Good value and great staff, but.”

Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taverham
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We booked into this hotel as we were visiting the nearby Dinosaur Park as a family. My 2 sons and their families and my wife.
The hotel staff were very good and very attentive, the room was fine, but a little dated. The food was very good, both the evening meal and breakfast. The staff in the Pro shop were very helpful, and I enjoyed the course.
But I would ask the manager to look at two small problems that do need his attention, first we asked for a cot to be provided in the room, it was very dirty, and my son had to clean it before, before his daughter could use it.
The internet connection is the worst I have ever experienced in any hotel I have stayed at. The hotel advertised free internet, I could get a connection in my room, but when I tried to download my daily newspaper it failed after trying 3 times, so I decided to go down to Reception to see if there was a better connection there, it was very slightly better, but still poor. At home I can download my daily newspaper in about 25 seconds, and the longest I have waited in any other hotel was just over 2 minutes. It took me OVER 30 MINUTES at the Wensum Valley Hotel, this is a disgrace for a modern hotel, please, please rectify and update your internet.
I will return in the future as apart from the above problems, I enjoyed my stay.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 30 July 2014

For such a beautiful location I was underwhelmed by the quality of the room. It was really no better than a Premier Inn - basic and clean but with no feeling of quality or special touches. Tea and coffee were provided, but milk was those awful little UHT plastic things. No biscuits. No bottled water, and if you brought your own you would have to use the nasty plastic cups provided in the bathroom.

I had made the booking several weeks in advance, and having read Trip Advisor reviews, asked for a first floor room so that we wouldn't be disturbed by overhead noise. When we arrived, this request had not been carried out, and so we had to take what was left, which had a less than inspiring view over the courtyard. I had hoped for (and asked for) a view of the golf course, as this was to be my birthday celebration. Very disappointing.

The weather was stifling hot, which is not the hotel's fault, however there was no air conditioning which I gather has been complained about many times in the past. Time to get this fixed!!
We asked for a fan, but none was available until after 10pm when the Reception staff no longer required theirs and it was lent to us. Fans are extremely cheap to buy, there should be one in every room if there is no air con. This is basic stuff! In the end we had to resort to laying on the bed with wet towels over us, just to be able to be in the room. Not a pleasant experience.
Of course, being a Saturday in the summer, there was a wedding going on. And with all the windows open, the noise was loud and late.

I mentioned all these points to the receptionist on our departure, but the response I received was 'oh dear. Sorry to hear that'. It would have been nice to be offered a discount off our drinks bill or something meaningful, particularly with the inefficiency of the booking system and disappointment caused to me on my birthday.

Wifi is available free of charge, but the signal was very weak in our room.
The only high point was the excellent meal in the restaurant, and the friendly waiting staff in there.

Room Tip: If you really must go to this hotel, ask for a first floor room with a good view, and call again a f...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2014

I admit from the start that my impression of this place may be clouded by the fact the room next to me and opposite were allocated to group of drunken lads with no regard for other guests, arriving back at the hotel at 4am shouting, swearing, slamming doors, etc. This of course is not the hotel's fault, but didn't help with the general impression of the place.

We arrived only to be given one key, although two rooms were booked. Eventually the mistake was realised and two keys handed over. Vague directions to our rooms were given to us and we proceeded to find our rooms. We were on the 1st floor, and it became apparent the building has no lifts. Fortunately I was able to lift our cases up the stairs, but the lack of a lift was not mentioned at the time of booking and made me wonder about disabled provision.

Between them, the rooms had a kettle not working, a main light not working, an old tissue and earplug down the side of the bed, two old twix wrappers behind the bed, and grit in the bath
and sink.

Although there's a bath, no water runs out its taps - it comes straight out the shower with no setting to change it to the bath taps. A notice about this would have been helpful which would otherwise have prevented me getting drenched.

Dinner was a 50 minute wait one evening from the time of ordering, and when we queried it we were told our order had got lost. Food average. Breakfast times were busy, and the staff seemed overworked. Several people around us received the wrong order and had to send the cooked breakfast back. A fried egg on one occassion was almost raw - the replacement was fine to be fair. The buffet cereals and fruit is pretty limited compared to other similar hotels, but not an issue for me.

The walls really are paper thin, and had quite a few marks/stains on them. Room was very hot at this time of year with no air conditioning or fan. Our rooms backed onto an enclosed central courtyard which didn't get much of a breeze through the open window.

The grounds are lovely although can't be explored if you're not golfing - got told off by a member of staff (in a nice way to be fair) for walking through the grounds because we might have got hit by a golf ball. Fair point, but it limits what you can do at the site.

The leisure facilities are good, although the leisure reception was manned on and off in the evenings yet our room keys (with the numbers clearly written on them) were left on the reception desk with no one about at all. Anyone could have walked in and taken them - not very secure.

There were weddings both nights we stayed at the hotel and the music was very loud in our rooms. Again, to be fair, it was turned down on both nights around 11pm and not an issue after that.

Overall, a bit of a disappointing stay.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Monsoon176
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on our annual mini golf tour. The rooms maybe a bit basic, however they were adequate for the purpose of our trip. The food is quality. Good wholesome food in the restaurant and the bar (this improves my rating of the hotel). Slightly disappointed that breakfast wasn't the standard buffet, but we generally had enough. Definitely a place to consider for a golfing break.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This is our fourth annual visit to Wensum Valley Hotel and will be going back again. Staff were wonderful as usual and the food quality at both Dinner and Breakfast was amazing quality. In addition the golf course was in wonderful condition .

Room Tip: The family rooms No 70 and 71 are large and easily hold a double bed and at least two singles. In ad...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Hard to know where to start here but there are so many issues with this hotel it is ridiculous. I think it is without doubt one of the poorest establishments I have stayed at for a long time. Even as I pulled into the car park I felt I had made a mistake and once entering the building my worst fears were confirmed. From the outside it looks very much like a residential care home rather than a "Country Club". The décor looks like it hasn't been updated in the last 25 years and it feels miles and miles out of date especially compared to other establishments I have visited in the last 12 months.

The bedroom was spacious but the décor and everything else was drab, dull, dated and generally very uninviting on the eye.

The bathroom was not great either and although functional didn't look very nice or appealing.

The food was also very poor and I had the special of the day "Rack of ribs" which were so tough you could barely get the meat off the bone. Clearly they had been reheated and the chips were also very well cooked.

When I went to the bar afterwards for a drink before I went back to my room there were groups of golfers / guys in the main bar and the language was awful. I'm far from a prude and I used profanity from time to time but in a public place I think it is unnecessary.

My breakfast in the morning wasn't to bad but how far wrong can you go with two poached eggs.

I complained to the staff this morning as I checked out and they were apologetic which was decent but again they were all wearing their own clothes and there was no way of distinguishing them form the people staying there. It's been an awful long time since I have been to a hotel where the staff wear there own clothes to work.

I would try and give a balanced review and give some positives but I'm struggling. The whole place feels run down and In need of some serious investment and the clientele it attracts probably isn't helping it's image. It just feels like a place that is struggling financially and doesn't have any money spent on it unless absolutely necessary.

The golf course I played was a bit bland and not very exciting at all but I appreciated you don't get much for £15.

I wont be going back that's for sure.

Room Tip: Book somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bhewettm
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We had our wedding here at wensum valley in July 2014. Gennie the events manager is fantastic, she cannot do enough for you & is just excellent.
The food is superb. It is not advertised enough, as before booking our wedding here we didn't even know they served food. Definately a hidden treasure in terms of eating out.

The hotel rooms are quite dated, and could do with a freshen up decor wise, however they are comfy & clean. We stayed in room 51 (honeymoon suite) and was quite dissapointed that the jacuzzi bath didn't work :-(
Gennie, Tym and the rest of the
Team put 100% into making sure we had a brilliant time and it's safe to say we had a day we will never forget. Thank you Wensum Valley !! PS you need to let the world know how amazing your food is !!!!

• Stayed: July 2014
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taverham
Barnham Broom
#1 of 1 in Hethersett
Stower Grange
Stower Grange
#1 of 1 in Drayton

Been to Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!