“Good restaurant”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Taverham
Stroud, United Kingdom
“Good restaurant”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

Day four of our cycling tour of East Anglia and we are staying at the Wensum Valley Hotel tonight (Aug 17th). On arrival the complex looks nothing too special: another reviewer said "a bit like a school" which is a perfect description. The receptionist was helpful and directed us to the covered cycle parking lot to park the tandem. Our room was on floor 2, overlooking a quadrangle. A decent size room, a big bed, and good bathroom. All very clean. When we went down for dinner there was a wedding party in the function room next to the restaurant. The waiting staff were attentive, and the food very good and we had a great view out over the golf course and beyond - pretty much a perfect meal. Back in our room we are kept awake by very loud music until midnight (the wedding party I guess) and woken at intervals through till dawn by noisy guests. A very bad night's sleep. Breakfast was ok. This is a good hotel, but I would recommend enquiring about wedding parties before booking.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (108)
Norwich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 September 2014

I recently spent 2 nights at the hotel for a family wedding and I can not praise highly enough the whole experience, yes, the décor is a little dated & tired and reception needs a little work ( a couple of room booking hiccups! ) but on the whole the stay was excellent, waiting staff in the restaurant are lovely and the food is good and the wedding co-ordinators (Tym & Gennie) could not do enough for us even though they were incredibly busy, I stayed in 2 different rooms and they were clean, comfortable & spacious. We will be using the restaurant again in the near future and I will happily recommend "The Wensum" experience. NB a special mention must go to the team in the onsite salon Aristocuts, all the girls were amazing, Thank you everyone.

2 Thank Anna221961
Beccles, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 August 2014

We were non residents at the hotel as we live local!

I was treated to a lunch at the hotel to cheer me up. We were greeted in a friendly manner and shown to our table. We enjoyed our drinks whilst trying to decide what to have from the extensive menu.
This gave us chance to enjoy the surroundings and the amazing view over the gentle rolling countryside.
Our order was taken and the food arrived in a reasonable time. The food was nicely presented, It was hot and the chips epic!
It certainly is somewhere I would go again as nothing is too much trouble, everything is gentle and un hurried, very professional and the staff very friendly and polite.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2014

the hotel was dated ,the food horrible ,the cleaning surely is an option however the staff was good.
Breakfast is a joke ,it is better to have tea or coffee from the kettle in the room.
for sure I won't go there again

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Wensum Valley is a great all round hotel for all ages no matter what your interests are. The rooms are clean and very spacious, the food is generally very good for breakfast and dinner, the leisure and spa facilities are great for relaxing and it has 2 beautiful and challenging golf courses for those who play. The Valley course is forgiving whereas the Wensum course combines beauty with lots of water along with narrow fairways and other hidden challenges. I will without doubt be returning there in the future. However, I left asking asking myself one simple question...how is this place only a 3 star hotel?

1 Thank Connor W
Kent
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I stayed here for one night on a business trip to Norfolk. The location was OK, if a little hard to find (the sat nav takes you in the back way, as the receptionist helpfully pointed out!) Reception was OK, I was allocated a room at the far end of the hotel which was enormous, a family room with multiple beds and a sofa (again, helpfully, the receptionist pointed out that this was a feature with bookings made for single business travellers via bookings.com) perhaps a little common sense could be applied! It felt like I had been allocated a small dormitory and it smelt very musty.

I returned to reception in the hope that I would be able to change for something a little less uninviting. I was then allocated a double ground floor room by a receptionist who had clearly never been told that a smile and eye contact are useful attributes in the hospitality industry!. Room 39 was tired and uninspiring, it smelt strongly of cigarette smoke but this is because it faces the outdoor courtyard and has doors opening onto a verandah. That's where the smokers stand when the weather is inclement, then they don't get wet!. The furnishings had mostly seen better days and there was no bulb in the bedside light and no headboard to the bed.

Arriving late in the afternoon I was please to see that the hotel offered afternoon tea on their menu. Got to the bar area only to find that there was no afternoon tea just tea or coffee (from a machine) oh and some very uninspiring cake.

I considered eating out in the evening but as I didn't want to navigate Norwich in the evening opted to dine in the hotel. Things looked up from that point and I have to say a big thumbs up to Gill and Juan in the bar. The evening meal was delicious and the service top rate. I suggest Gill from the bar is given more say over the hotel, things might improve.

The leisure facilities are lovely, well appointed and spacious, they appear well run too.

Breakfast like dinner was very good, Sammy served me and was there when you needed her but not intrusive. It was pleasant to be able to have a freshly cooked breakfast rather than serve yourself from a buffet.

Overall, I think this place misses badly as a hotel but the food is good and some of the staff clearly take a pride in what they are providing.

Room Tip: Downstairs rooms facing courtyard smell smoky
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Uley, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

kerb appeal of the hotel is poor, looks more like a school, however, the facilities/staff/rooms etc were all very good. The views from the back of the hotel are amazing and the golf course seemed immaculate and gorgeous

Travelling with my wife and 2 young children, I was concerned that the room wouldn't be large enough as we needed a single for my toddler plus a cot for my youngest.
The room was a good size and although a little tatty/dark (only 1 smallish window), was absolutely fine.
It was a really hot weekend so air con would have been nice and the view from the window was a brick wall and another window which appeared to be an office.

In terms of the wedding, they did a fantastic job, very professional, amazing food, drinks weren't too expensive and everyone had a fab time
Staff were brilliant so all in we had a wonderful time

Room Tip: We were opposite the swimming pool in the main building, the rooms off the courtyard had their own e...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Taverham
Dunston Hall
#2 of 7 in Cromer
Stower Grange
Stower Grange
#1 of 1 in Drayton

Been to Wensum Valley Hotel Golf and Country Club? Share your experiences!