“Mixed review but nice hotel”
Review of Zorbas Beach Hotel

Zorbas Beach Hotel
Ranked #2 of 23 Hotels in Tigaki
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Mixed review but nice hotel”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

Just got back from Zorbas Beach Hotel, as with all hotels I am sure that anyone can find fault or moan about something. We found that the 2 bedroomed room that we had was excellent, yes beds are a bit hard and some of the pillows a bit lumpy but nice and clean. It was great to be able to have breakfast, lunch and evening meal outside rather than in a stuffy indoor hotel restaurant and as yes all inclusive the food can get a bit repetitive but for the cost we paid for 2 adults a 12 year old and a 15 year old it was fine for us and we felt fine going for a few meals out. Entertainment was great for the kids early on with the usual stuff but there was nothing for older teenagers. There are only 3 machines to play on, an air table, a snooker table and rickety football table which were regularly out of order whilst we were there. I know you only get local drinks in the all inclusive but the so called whisky brandy and other spirits on offer with the all inclusive were the worst I have ever tasted and couldnt drink them. The Taverna restaurant where you can book for an 'Italian' or 'Greek' meal in my opinion was awful, not impressed at all and you had to prebook what you wanted the day before, really could have done with the option to purchase some bottled wines rather than just the all inclusive wine on offer that didnt do a lot for me. Every evening we had the smell of sewerage from the drains outside. On the positive side there were always plenty of sunloungers with parasols and 3 good sized pools, one being for adults only but if were going with kids we wouldnt have stayed there as it is not really an adult only hotel. I know there are some negative's that I have mentioned but is actually a really nice hotel and it was good value for money.

1 Thank Mark H
george l, Manager at Zorbas Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear guest,
We wish to thank you for having taken some of your valuable time for a feedback on trip advisor.
We appreciate your positive comments;
In reference to the quality of drinks provided, we kindly inform you that are local alcoholic, clearly described on each of our brochures.
Theme restaurant operates under prior reservations, in order to serve our customers better; as for the dishes provided, it hasn't been disclosed on us which of , was you did not like.
Maybe dishes besides tzatziki or greek salad, or feta cheece and souvlaki, do not match to your tastes.
We are really sorry that your accomodation in Zorbas Beach did't meet your expectations, as our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services will never cease and is what we strive for.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cannock
Reviewed 2 June 2014

i don't know whether i am doing this hotel a great injustice, but from my past experiences of 4 Star Hotel's this did not match up at all.
Pro's : Our Room was kept spotlessly clean and maids were very friendly.
Children's Pool area was good, with plenty of loungers to allow to watch whilst daughters played (within a certain area so could be seen at all times ... over protective mom :-) )
Room was at front of hotel, family room which was plenty big enough and had gorgeous view of sea. (if you get room 104 make sure you don't lock bathroom door ... i got locked in & luckily maid was around to get me out!)

Negatives:
Bathroom looked ok, but could only use shower if held in hand, could not reach the shower head holder (i'm 5ft 2 ) so not ideal with twin girls aged 5 .... baths were fine thou.
Television : ok i know we don't go away to watch tele, but it was not worth having a tv in the room at all, reception was awful and limited programmes.(did not use)
Food : i can never understand people moaning about food whilst abroad & being a vegetarian i always struggle, so was not expecting much and would not normally moan but oh my days i have never been to a 4 * with so little choice ... we don't eat much, mainly just fruit and vegetables .... both were noticeable in their absence! ... What fruit they did have was cut up, apples, pears, banana's which obviously browned/blackened as were left out. yes there was feta & salad but 7 days of dinner & tea was tedious, we ate out the last 2 nights.

Entertainment : Poor Poor Poor .... boring, and not suitable for children's viewing, daughters now discussing about a man dressed up as a woman with skirt keep going up, Man in bed with man dressed as a woman, another man comes in etc etc .... Mini disco ... girls got bored. Props and stage poor quality.

Kids Club : did not send my daughters, but our friend sent hers once, daughter did not like & walked past the swimming pools on her own back to her mom crying, her mom then went back to club to apologies and the staff member was not even aware her daughter had left!!.

In past reviews people praised the staff on their friendliness, although not unfriendly, good customer service definitely was not paramount. The Pool bars were pretty poor, tired & old, Ice Cream was nice but again had to wait for service. Had swim up bar for food !? but could not use, pieces of cake in snack bar, or hotdogs or pancakes (restricted to what times could have). The bar on an evening is situated inside and although we did not have to wait excessively once again i did not find the staff friendly or helpful.

Location .... Opposite a beach which we were so excited about ... went running to it only to find it was a very small stretch of beach and not worthy of staying on ( went to Tingaki beach further down which was lovely)

We, as we always do had quality family time and yes a holiday definitely is what you make it, but i would not return again and would definitely question the 4* rating

Dear guests,
We greatly appreciate you having taken some of your valuable time for a feedback in trip advisor;
thereby,enables us even now to reply in reference to your comments.
Bathroom locks do not have a key, are Italian made and it is really difficult to be locked inside; we apologize that happened.
TV has 3 British channels, and in total 12 European, as well as 3 Greek ones.
Fruits are shredded served in order to provide better service; as there is a selection of melon and water melon among the rest, it is impossible to serve different.
Animation programm is a difficult task as it appeals to people of different nationalities.
There are times that someone can easily get 'lost' in translation.
There are 2 Pool Bars operating during day, and 3 bars in total during evenings, serving guests
the best and quickest way possible.
The beach that lays opposite our Hotel is just as described in our broshures( small, sandy,with shallow water).it is a 15 minute walk to Tingaki's main beach from our Hotel.
All issues you have brought to our attention are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.
It is only through constractive observations of our guests that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement we strive for. We assure you that we will never cease in our efforts.
We are trully sorry your accomodation with us didn't meet your expectations, as our aim is our guests satisfaction and quality service.
We thank you for visiting Zorbas Beach,
Cwmbran, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks as a family with 2 children. I must say we we're let down by the hotel as it was not a 4 star in our book. The area is gorgeous though, well worth visiting the island
Pros
Lovely location, only a 15 minute walk into tigaki, a small little town with lots of tavernas and shops. You can hire a bike for 5 euros each, they are well worth it ...

Weather was lovely

Staff are friendly, although we never spoke to the manager, he just seemed to hover around the restaurant looking glum...he didn't manage too well!!

3 great pools

Cons
The room was too small for 2 adults and a child. My daughter had a small camp bed put up which was not what I paid for.
The bath leaked water ever time we used it so the bathroom was flooded pretty much every time..had to use the towels ever day to soak up all the water

When eating you dare not take a breathe as staff are onto you to take ur plates away....now some May like this quick service but I felt it was very rude of them to make u feel so rushed.

I never seen any cleaning around the pool which I would expect to

Toilets around the pool smelt of sewerage a lot...not great!

Smoking guests around the kids pool which in my book is totally wrong, the hotel should not allow this

Entertainment was pretty rubbish, bingo, very bad karaoke and a little bit of Greek dancing, oh and mr and miss hotel....very sad! I might sound boring but compared to other holidays we have been on the entertainment here was rubbish lol

Food.....all I can say is I would go self catering next time...food was very boring and I barely ate much as it was same old every day....we ate out when we could and the gyros are lovely, a must to try.

Sorry to have more cons than pros but we felt let down so don't get ur hopes up too much...

A holiday is what you make of it so if u can get over the bad bits the area does make it a lovely holiday and the Greeks are lovely

Room Tip: We had room 243 by the kids pool and you do hear the entertainment until 11pm...small room too!!
1 Thank Tara G
george l, Manager at Zorbas Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear guest,

We write in reference to your feedback relating your stay in Zorbas Beach Hotel.
We greatly appreciate you having taken some of your valuable time to write down your interesting comments,in order to take corrective measures may be necessary to ensure the improvement of the services of the hotel,which you have brought to our attention.
The official category of our Hotel is indeed 4 stars.
We provide 3 different room types for each of which a complete description is recorded in all catalogues of our partner tour operators.
Our daily menu in the restaurant consists a variety of 15 warm dishes, 20 cold, 6 desserts and 6
fruit kinds. In case of a request, we are always pleased to sutisfy the demand to it, if informed.
Our animation team consists of more members and continually modify the programm to the demands of our customers.
Our room maintenance service acts promptly repairing any damage that will occur, if reported to reception.
Finally, we would like to thank you again for taking the time to write your observations.
In Zorbas Beach we beleive that only by listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers, that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service that we strive for.
We are sorry that your stay in our Hotel did not meet your expectations but we assure you that Zorbas Beach will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of the services provided.

Zorbas Beach Management.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We've just got back from a week at the Zorbas beach hotel, stayed 22-29th May 2014 (half term week) as a family of four (kids aged 7 and 4). I was a little concerned before we went, due to some less than positive trip advisor reports, but there was absolutely no reason to have been concerned. The hotel itself is lovely, very nice open and clean reception and bar area, buffet restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating, 3 pool bars, 3 pools (main pool including a kids paddling pool, a children's pool and an adults only pool), lovely clean bedrooms, mini supermarket, mini golf course, tennis courts and a small children's park. I'll review each area separately to give an idea of the pros and cons.

The room - we stayed in a 2 bedroom room, which consisted of a twin room for the kids, a large double room for us, full bathroom with shower and bath, and a double balcony (opened from both bedrooms) looking on to the pool. Positives - the room was lovely and modern, TV in each bedroom, working and effective aircon in each bedroom, v large double bed, plenty of wardrobe and storage space, safe available to hire, fridge in double bedroom, maid service was fantastic - the kids loved seeing what they'd done with the sheets and towels each day. Negatives - the beds are quite hard, the hot water was a bit hit and miss in the bathroom, the shower could do to be upgraded, any rooms facing the pool will experience a lot of noise on a night from the evening entertainment.

The pools - all excellent, the main pool is large with a small paddling pool at the shallow end, at the front of the hotel there's an adults only pool and a kids pool both with lovely views of the sea. We never had a problem getting sun beds even though we often didn't get to the pool till 11am. Pool areas very clean.

The bars - There's a pool bar at the adult pool, one at the main pool and the main bar in the hotel reception area. Wine and beer is self service in the main restaurant. I've seen a lot of people on trip advisor complaining about the bar queues and the quality of the drinks. I'm not really sure why! I never queued for more than about 10 minutes for a drink, and mostly didn't queue at all. My husband assures me the beer was fine. The wine wasn't the best I've ever had, but was perfectly drinkable. I never tried the pre mixed cocktails. The vodka certainly didn't taste watered down to me, and the measures poured were very generous. The bar staff were all lovely. The all inclusive drinks do finish at 11pm, but that's quite common in AI hotels, and certainly didn't cause us a problem. Bar staff had no problem with you collecting a larger round of drinks just before 11pm. The drinks are served in plastic glasses (like the ones you get from a water cooler) at all of the pool bars. This seems sensible as people are drinking by the pool where kids are running around. The "glasses" don't split and I had no problem carrying a few at a time. Drinks from the main bar and the main restaurant are served in proper glasses. The soft drinks aren't branded soft drinks, but you wouldn't expect them to be. The lemonade is similar to bitter lemon, lemon and lime more like "our" lemonade - bit like sprite. The coke and diet coke taste like panda pops - perfectly drinkable. Fruit juice available was apple, orange or grapefruit I think.

The restaurants - breakfast, lunch and dinner are all served in the main buffet restaurant. Breakfast is 7am - 10.30am, lunch 12.30 - 2.30pm and dinner is 6.30pm - 9.30pm. In between meal times there is ice cream, hot dogs, pizzas, toasties, cakes etc served at the pool snack bars. There is an a la carte restaurant which alternates daily between serving Italian and Greek food, it needs booking (and food ordering) the day before, and is shut on Sundays. The buffet food was fine, and exactly what you'd expect at an all inclusive buffet. I like "real" food rather than processed rubbish, as do my kids, and we had no problem finding really nice meals every day. Breakfast consisted of fresh bread, cereals, fruit, yoghurt, ham and cheese, warm croissants and pain au chocolat, freshly made pancakes and fried eggs, bacon, sausage, omelette, scrambled eggs, hard boiled eggs, french toast, potatoes and tomatoes. No, the sausages and bacon aren't "british" sausages and bacon. But if that's really going to make or break your holiday, maybe you should stick to Blackpool! Lunch there would always be a very good salad selection, fresh bread again, at least one kind of meat being freshly cooked on the grill, chips, and plenty of vegetable / pasta / rice / meat dishes in the buffet. Evening meal was similar, but with the addition of 3 trays of "kids buffet" chip / nugget type stuff. I found the food to be varied, tasty, and always served hot. A good choice of desserts available every day, as well as ice cream. The feta cheese was delicious. We never queued for a table. The restaurant staff were lovely, and I'm not really sure why so many reviewers weren't keen on the restaurant manager, as he seemed pleasant enough. The only suggestion I would have is that an occasional theme night wouldn't go amiss in the main restaurant, just to vary things a bit more. Sadly I wasn't impressed at all by the a la carte restaurant. We went on the Italian night, which was possibly a mistake. The food was significantly better in the buffet, and service was painfully slow.

The entertainment - the evening "shows" were exactly as you'd expect in a family oriented all inclusive resort in Greece. Very cheesy, but the kids absolutely loved it all, and the entertainment team work very hard. During the day there are aqua gym sessions, water polo, team sports, quizzes etc happening.

The kids club - my kids have never been to a kids club before, but absolutely LOVED it. It's available 10am - 12.30 and 3-6pm. It's run by the hotel, not by Thomas Cook. The girl who runs it is a delight with the kids, the club doesn't need booking in advance, you just turn up, and it's free. They play games in the "hut" where it's based, go on walks around the grounds collecting butterflies, play in the pool together go get ice creams together and generally have a great time. There is the option to book for your kids to have dinner or breakfast with them a couple of times a week, but we never used this. The kids club is closed on Sundays.

The beach - the beach area outside the hotel is very small and pebbly, but there are a few sun loungers out there if you want them.

Location - The hotel is a short walk from the resort of Tigaki. As an adult walking alone, it took me between 15v and 20 minutes walking to the centre of the Tigaki. Obviously this takes longer with kids. There's no footpath by the road, but the road isn't very busy. My kids were fine walking down the side of the road, but if you have toddlers you'd probably need to take a buggy. You could walk most of the way along the strip of sand leading to the main beach if you wanted. Tigaki beach is lovely, nice gentle sloping beach with shallow water for the kids to play in. A little bit pebbly in areas, and some seaweed in the sea. Tigaki itself is a small resort with the usual strip of bars, restaurants and tourist shops. There are a couple of travel agents there who can arrange reasonably priced trips.

The staff - without exception, all of the staff that we came into contact with at the hotel were absolutely lovely.

Thomas Cook - we saw our rep once, when we arrived at the airport. Never saw anybody from Thomas Cook at the hotel.

In conclusion, we had a very lovely holiday here, and would all gladly go back again!

Room Tip: If you want quiet, ask for a room away from the main pool.
6 Thank Layla047
george l, Manager at Zorbas Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Dear guests,

We would like to thank you for your comments as they are really valuable!
We are happy to know that you appreciated the friendliness and assistance of our staff members
and that our service exceeded your expectations.
we all look forward to welcoming you back in Zorbas Beach,
Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel needs to be re-rated. It is most definitely not a 4*. 3* at most. Rooms clean but rather tatty, bathroom nice size and clean. Very uncomfortable beds and only had one very thin pillow. Asked for more, came promptly. Awful smell from drain every night outside apartments. We all received terrible bites from mosquitos.
Poolside wasn't kept very clean, not washed down every night like I have seen in other good 4* hotels, same dirty tables not wiped down night after night. Pool itself quite clean. 3 pools in all, although the other two pools seem disconnected from the hotel.
Reception staff friendly, lobby nice and comfortable.
Food very repetitive, and not best quality, glad only there for a week. This is the first A/I I have been to to where have to ask at the bar for everything, including kids drinks, ice cream and coffees. Usually it's help yourself and I have never seen it abused. Only one staff member at bar in the day so any snacks/drinks took an age. Snacks reasonable. Animation team great, daytime activities plentiful and we didn't feel pushed into it. Evening entertainment not great, 3 bingo nights in a week, €5 for one game!
All in all, disappointing. Think this is probably the last all inclusive for us now, we missed decent food, and it seems to attract just English chavs. Did I just say that out loud?! The air was thick with smoke every evening, even in the outside dining area. Not good.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
george l, Manager at Zorbas Beach Hotel, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear guests,
In reference to your feedback, we kindly inform you that,
Zorbas Beach is a 4 star hotel, according to the official consultation of local authorities, as well as of major Tour Operators we cooperate with.
There are 2 bars open during day and 3 during the evenings, operating with the appropriate staff.
We provide quite a diversity of dishes with several choises on warm,cold plates, salads and desserts. There is also the choise of our theme restaurant, where dishes from the Greek and Italian cuisine are provided.
Our Maitre d' Hotel, up on request on something different, in a reasonable time, is always pleased to provide it.
In terms of the 'isolated pools' in our Hotel, the majority of our customers characterizes them ideal as allows them to isolate and enjoy away from any distubance.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 May 2014 via mobile

On arrival hotel reception and pool looks fabulous but soon found faults our room bathroom shabby with water coming up from the floor when emptying bath making our clothes and bedding damp every night in our room. Food was ok but got to be a bit repetitive over the week, the cook must love rosemary because it was on everything even the chips ,as for cereals milk was always warm in a morning something I don't like and no jam in sachets another pet hate of mine. Found the staff good but bars understaffed and all inclusive finished at 11.00pm after that you had to pay, evening entertainment crap high light of the week was bingo and karaoke, hotel is out on it own and not much to see making walks a little boring would highly recommend hiring some kind of transport it was our savior of our holiday got to see most of the best bits of Kos in 4 days. Hotel Zorbas is a great place for people with small kids or if you go away as a group of people

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank NurseJax
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you most sincerely for your feedback;
In reference to your comments, we kindly inform you that water on bathroom's floor appears just when the bath valve is not set correctly. If reported, we are sure that our maintenace service responded promptly. Animation programm, the variety of dishes, anything that is our guests wish, are those that we strive daily to improve.
We beleive that it is only through listening carefully to the comments and suggestions of our customers,that we will be able to achieve the constant improvement, guest satisfaction and quality service; therefore your comments are of the greatest importance and assistance to us.
Be assured that Zorbas Beach will never cease in its efforts to constantly improve the quality of the services provided.
Sincerely yours
Reviewed 30 May 2014 via mobile

Nice hotel must say more 3 star than 4 food is ok not fantastic some dishes are questionable and the fresh fruit is chopped so goes brown ( apples, pears and bananas) instead of leaving it in whole pieces . The drinks aren't fantastic only 2 pre made cocktails to choose from per day so not much choice but the beer is good , the staff are friendly enough and the views are stunning , the car hire man in the hotel was lovely and is very reasonable for car , bike and scooter hire his scooters are quite new compared to a lot of the other hire companies . The pool area was nice there is 3 pools including an adults only pool but the sunbeds aren't very comfy and some were broken, but there are plenty to choose from, this would be ok as a 3 star plus but definitely not a 4 star but good for a family holiday make sure to take plenty of mosquito repellent and sun screen

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jomaxzi
Dear guests,

We thank you very much for having taken some of your valuable time for a feedback as well as for your interesting comments, in order to take corrective measures that may be necessary to ensure the improvement of the services of the hotel in the future.
Fruits are provided chopped for better service, some necessarily, like water melon.
In accordance to the contracts with our partner Tour Operators, just one coctail is to be provided daily; the second one is an offer from the Hotel as an option. Our Bar tender would have been pleased to provide one of your choise, if requested.
Our Hotel is officially registered as a 4 star Hotel, and is accepted by all major Tour Operators we cooperate with.
We thank you for visiting Zorbas Beach Hotel,
Hotel Management
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tigaki
Sun Palace Resort & Spa
#9 of 49 in Kos Town
Tigaki's Star Hotel
Tigaki's Star Hotel
#8 of 23 in Tigaki

Been to Zorbas Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!