“An Idyllic Hotel in an Idyllic Location”

Cordial Mogan Playa
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Puerto de Mogan
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Where to start? I first visited the enchanting Puerto De Mogan on business in 1995 when all that existed was the old village, the marina (little Venice) and a very rocky beach to the left of the inlet. Subsequent years have seen some considerable development but not to the detriment of the locality which in my opinion has retained a charm that makes it among the best resorts in the Canaries. Furthermore the recently completed motorway link has reduced the 1½ hour travelling time to 30 minutes which is in itself a major bonus.

So what of the Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa where I have just returned from ten days of sheer bliss? I have previously rated only two other 4* hotels (St George in Paphos & Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro, Sorrento) as outstanding and this hotel is up there with them and probably the best of all. I have no desire to go anywhere else in the Canaries now. Initially I struggled to understand the official rating that has been allocated (4*+) as it had all the hallmarks of a quality five star but having visited two 5* establishments in Melonoras during our stay I can understand the differentisl in terms of building facilities, but nothing else. The quality and standard of this hotel can be evidenced by it’s inclusion in Thomson’s 2013 summer A La Carte programme.

Rooms
I contacted the hotel prior to travel requesting a quiet, top floor room with afternoon sunshine if at all possible. I was allocated a superb room with two French windows, one opening onto a Juliet balcony and another onto a private terrace housing a table and chairs together with two sun loungers. The room itself was spacious with a flat screen TV that received Sky news, BBC1 & BBC2. Unique to the Canaries from my experience. There was a fridge to keep the personal drinks supply cold and a safe deposit box somewhat surprisingly charged out at €2 per day but “c’est la vie”. Needless to say the room was serviced spotlessly on a daily basis and nothing was too much trouble for the maid who despite limited English was always friendly and polite.

Facilities
The architect responsible for the building of the hotel in my opinion deserves an award for taste and inventiveness. Built into the hillside of the Mogan Valley the design has incorporated a huge Atrium which serves as the fulcrum of the main reception building and which houses a central piano bar positioned above the restaurant and night club which appear to have been cut into the rock face. The restaurant has a conservatory extension surrounded by water and a waterfall and an area within the atrium which gives the appearance of eating in a tropical garden. The extensive site incorporates residential buildings, waterfalls, streams, an ancient archaeological site, two swimming pools, Spa and gardens that resemble a botanical nursery with all the plants identified by labels. Located in the grounds is a small chapel ideally suited to wedding planning with a small piazza outside for additional seating and at the opposite end is a restaurant capable of housing the social reception.

Dining
I cannot comment on the two restaurants providing lunchtime dining facilities and located near the swimming pools as we stayed on a half board basis and after breakfast, which is served until 10am, lunch was not a requirement. Evening meals are taken in the main buffet restaurant which accommodates two sittings during the times 6pm-7.30pm and 8.30pm-10pm which ensures the provision of fresh food on both sittings. Guests on a half board basis are able to exchange the evening meal for lunch if desired. I have read criticism of the catering by previous contributors and quite frankly cannot believe that anyone could not find any suitable choices from the huge variety of food on offer. On a daily basis the restaurant offers two soups, a wide range and variety of salad dishes, a carvery offering three meats, a griddle producing three fish varieties and a wide range of other dishes served in sources or stir fried. A speciality table serves a daily range of food from different nations which included by way of example fresh Japanese Sushi and Mexican Enchiladas. Needles to say the wide range of main courses are complemented by an equally wide range of deserts. All food was well prepared, served hot and very edible. Drinks are quite expensive in comparison to local bars but not excessive to general hotel prices.

As an alternative to the buffet there is the Los Guayres a la carte restaurant located above the main buffet which boasts some prominent gourmet credentials in terms of the chef, the menu offered and the quality of food served. Residents on half board are allowed a €15per person deduction from the final bill. A glass of champagne awaited our arrival at our table as we dined alfresco on a Saturday evening in extremely warm temperatures and the whole experience was excellent. The maître d’hôtel took our order, recommended a quality Rioja that was not on the wine list and attended to every need with the support of his waiting staff. We chose the €42 six course taster menu for what was a special occasion and every course was presented to the highest of standards and tasted thoroughly delicious. I have no hesitation in saying that it lived up to all its self professed platitudes. If Michelin stars were awarded in Gran Canaria I would anticipate this restaurant would be suitably rewarded.

Entertainment
Not the strongest section of the facilities on offer with some quite basic artistes but they helped to pass an hour on as the very substantial dinner digested.

Conclusion
I apologise to readers for the length of this review but a hotel of this quality deserves to be properly reflected. If this hotel continues to operate as at present or even continues to develop it cannot fail but to go from strength to strength. It is certainly the Cordial group flagship and having stayed at the Cordial Golf Plaza in Tenerife I have no hesitation in saying that there is no comparison. I cannot wait to return and I am currently exploring the possibility of spending Christmas there this year.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Candreac
Write a ReviewReviews (4,291)

Reviewed 28 April 2013

The Wife and I came for a week in early April. we werent sure what to expect to be honest as we dont really do package deals let alone half board type places. However we are both astounded with the experiance at the Cordial Mogan playa hotel.
Our room wasnt massive and didnt have the best of view (other than an enormous bird of paradise tree!) but this didnt matter one bit.
the room was very clean and brightly decorated with excellent facilities in the bathroom, again very clean and well maintenaned.
Our "usual" type of holiday is to relax on the beach and exploring the local area and resturants etc. its fair to say due to the qualitiy and facilities at the hotel this all changed.
As mentioned elsewhere, the quality and variety of the food at both breakfast and evening meal was outstanding with something for absolutley everyone im sure. On one night they had a sushi chef in to make fresh sushi (if thats your thing). If there was something that let it down it was that the veg's werent the best as they were kept warm too long or slightly overcooked for our liking. Also the drinks service in the resturant in the evening could be a little hap-hazard as the staff were just working so hard, you kind of had one hit to get everything ordered, if you wanted a second round of drinks or wine, it was a little difficult to get shall we say. We did venture out one evening to "give it a go" but actually ended up back at the hotel ! thats how good the food was...

Also, the hotel grounds are stunning with something like over 300 different trees and shrubs etc and the gardens are immaculate, and given the size of the place it was totally possible to escape the pools and all that goes with them.
La playa del mogan seems like it had a LOT of money spent on it a few years back, but unfortunaly there are many empty shops and a "shopping center" with almost nothing in it. that said i understand things may chnage in the very near future due to a new motorway, and to be honest the hotel is so good you dont really need to venture out much (other than to the fantastic Spar shop a few minutes walk away).
Would i go back ? already planning it !

2  Thank magoodliffe
Reviewed 28 April 2013

We are just back from an idyllic week in this fabulous hotel.. I can only echo the last few reviews.. Hotel is faultless.. Lots of lush greenery everywhere.. Food is beautiful and accounts for all tastes, be as healthy or as naughty as you like (!) I stayed here with my husband and 3yo son and my 70+ parents and all had a ball, if it is a sun drenched week of fab food and lots of bits to do for all you could not do better. Special mention must go to Claudia and Carlos in kiddies club.. Our son Hugo adored the kiddie disco every night,super fun! I cannot imagine anyone having a bad word to say about this hotel.. We will definitely return. Staff were just amazing, lots of friendly Germans and French staying same time as us which to me was a great sign! ;) all had the same impression as us.

The only advice I would have is regarding the shuttle taxi in case you book one ( like we did with a travel package)... It is approx 35 mins by motorway to this resort from airport (which we found out on our return!!) the transfer we booked and paid for took approx 3 hours whilst it dropped off people from other flights .. Up and down hills.. Reversing in and out of car parks.. Dropping off 1/2 people in other resorts.. A bit of a nightmare with a tired 3yo and elderly parents. My advice.. Pay for a taxi!! ;)

Stayed: April 2013
3  Thank Bagheeralouis
Reviewed 26 April 2013

We enjoyed our visit to this fabulous hotel so much last year that we decided to return.
We were not disappointed. From the friendly 'champagne' check in greeting to the final check out it was a dream holiday. A special mention must be made to Christian - Public Relations Manager - his assistant Alexandria and our waiter Patricio Eduardo who all contributed to making our stay such a pleasant experience.The cleanliness throughout was exceptional - there always seemed to be someone cleaning something somewhere, whether it be in the rooms, gardens, pool, or atrium. I do not know how some trip advisors can criticise the food. The breakfast was superb with such a variety - even sparkling wine was available.
The evening meal was even better. Everyday there was something different. There was always a choice of fish (sea bass, hake, sole and swordfish to name but a few). There was a choice of 2 soups, meats (entrecote, fillet beef, lamb, pork, veal, duck and even rabbit) and some superb sweets, pastries and ice creams. The chocolate fountain was to die for.
They had themed nights with chinese and mexican foods. Even my mother-in-law ate heartily and that is the best compliment the restaurant could ever have. The new spa was well worth a visit even though it was not cheap. The only criticism I could find, even though it did not directly impact on our group, was that the 'no reserving sun loungers' rule was not observed and as far as i could see not enforced (but if truth be known I did my bit by swapping a few towels around). To summarise:- This hotel has everything. It is ideal for all ages. It has activities for both children and adults. The food has to be seen to be believed. The rooms are spacious and cleaned daily. The balconies can take 6 chairs and 3 round tables. The port is about a 10 minute saunter away and flat which was ideal for the elderly. There is a supermarket only 2 minutes away. The bus station is about a 5 minutes walk. The cabaret / entertainment was a bit hit and miss but we did see one of the best groups for a long while singing motown songs of the 70's. All in all an excellent experience. A must try place.

Room Tip: Unlike most hotels the top floors are easily accessible. We were on the top floor and despite many v...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank John T
Reviewed 26 April 2013

Having already discovered Mogan, probably the most picturesque resort in the Canaries , we were delighted to see the building of the Cordial Mogan Playa and have now stayed there for the last 7 years, mainly as a couple but also with friends and on one occassion with our grown up children and grandchildren. Perfect for each scenario. Beautiful hotel, great staff, pretty gardens,wonderful location and of course loads of sunshine !Can't fault it, we'll be back next year and hopefully for many more.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 April 2013

We've stayed in a lot of Spanish hotels and this was by far the best. I really don't know why it isn't a 5-star. The staff were great, the food was brilliant and so much choice each day at the buffet that the only problem was choosing what to have. The whole place was kept very clean and the gardens were lovely and extremely well kept. Our room was perfect, we even had enough wardrobe space and that takes a lot of doing. Playa de Mogan must be the best place to stay in Gran Canaria - away from all the endless built-up hotels and apartments in some other parts of this beautiful island. We wouldn't hesitate to go back because we know how good it will be. It could NOT be faulted.

Room Tip: They're all good.
Reviewed 23 April 2013

This is a lovely 4 star hotel.
Customer service – excellent. Friendly, English speaking, very accommodating.
Rooms – comfortable, clean, spacious. I believe some other Tripadvisors have advised requesting a sea-view. I didn’t have this luxury, but was perfectly comfortable in my room (for the little time I spent there).
Spa – beautiful, relaxing, though expensive. If you want a basic mani/pedi – there are plenty of local salons which are much much cheaper.
Swimming pools – lovely. However be warned, although it is documented in the hotel brochure that reserving sun loungers is not allowed, I observed many people doing this. People put their towels down the night before, came down before breakfast and swapped them for clean towels, disappeared off then reappeared around 11am. Some people therefore secured the best spots at the pool for their entire stay. There are some other sun loungers around in sunny places, but I did find it annoying.
Food – excellent buffet breakfast. Half-board meant that there was a buffet evening meal. If you want the earlier setting, you need to specify this clearly early on, maybe prior to arrival, as this sitting seemed to be the most popular. I was also informed that if you preferred to have lunch, this was possible too. However my experience that the breakfast was so plentiful, and you could take a “doggy bag” of fruit and pastries, so you don’t really need lunch if you are having your evening meal in the hotel. I had no complaints about the food, unlike some other Tripadvisors.
Activities – there are numerous sporting activities which, as far I could tell from the hotel brochure, are free. I didn’t get involved in many of these, but the aquagym looked fun.
Beach – 5 minute walk away. Sun loungers for hire. A lovely walk in the evening to Puerto de Mogan. Lots of things to see and do. I particularly enjoyed watching locals playing dominoes.
Entertainment – I thought this was great despite some of the other comments of Tripadvisors. Family-friendly, good fun.
Supermarket – 2 minute walk away. I would recommend stocking up on water and soft drinks here.
Summary – fantastic relaxing family-friendly hotel.

Room Tip: If possible get a sea-view, or south-facing view.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Cala Blanca
Cala Blanca
#11 of 16 in Mogan
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia

Been to Cordial Mogan Playa? Share your experiences!