Where to start? I first visited the enchanting Puerto De Mogan on business in 1995 when all that existed was the old village, the marina (little Venice) and a very rocky beach to the left of the inlet. Subsequent years have seen some considerable development but not to the detriment of the locality which in my opinion has retained a charm that makes it among the best resorts in the Canaries. Furthermore the recently completed motorway link has reduced the 1½ hour travelling time to 30 minutes which is in itself a major bonus.
So what of the Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa where I have just returned from ten days of sheer bliss? I have previously rated only two other 4* hotels (St George in Paphos & Grand Hotel Nastro Azzurro, Sorrento) as outstanding and this hotel is up there with them and probably the best of all. I have no desire to go anywhere else in the Canaries now. Initially I struggled to understand the official rating that has been allocated (4*+) as it had all the hallmarks of a quality five star but having visited two 5* establishments in Melonoras during our stay I can understand the differentisl in terms of building facilities, but nothing else. The quality and standard of this hotel can be evidenced by it’s inclusion in Thomson’s 2013 summer A La Carte programme.
I contacted the hotel prior to travel requesting a quiet, top floor room with afternoon sunshine if at all possible. I was allocated a superb room with two French windows, one opening onto a Juliet balcony and another onto a private terrace housing a table and chairs together with two sun loungers. The room itself was spacious with a flat screen TV that received Sky news, BBC1 & BBC2. Unique to the Canaries from my experience. There was a fridge to keep the personal drinks supply cold and a safe deposit box somewhat surprisingly charged out at €2 per day but “c’est la vie”. Needless to say the room was serviced spotlessly on a daily basis and nothing was too much trouble for the maid who despite limited English was always friendly and polite.
The architect responsible for the building of the hotel in my opinion deserves an award for taste and inventiveness. Built into the hillside of the Mogan Valley the design has incorporated a huge Atrium which serves as the fulcrum of the main reception building and which houses a central piano bar positioned above the restaurant and night club which appear to have been cut into the rock face. The restaurant has a conservatory extension surrounded by water and a waterfall and an area within the atrium which gives the appearance of eating in a tropical garden. The extensive site incorporates residential buildings, waterfalls, streams, an ancient archaeological site, two swimming pools, Spa and gardens that resemble a botanical nursery with all the plants identified by labels. Located in the grounds is a small chapel ideally suited to wedding planning with a small piazza outside for additional seating and at the opposite end is a restaurant capable of housing the social reception.
I cannot comment on the two restaurants providing lunchtime dining facilities and located near the swimming pools as we stayed on a half board basis and after breakfast, which is served until 10am, lunch was not a requirement. Evening meals are taken in the main buffet restaurant which accommodates two sittings during the times 6pm-7.30pm and 8.30pm-10pm which ensures the provision of fresh food on both sittings. Guests on a half board basis are able to exchange the evening meal for lunch if desired. I have read criticism of the catering by previous contributors and quite frankly cannot believe that anyone could not find any suitable choices from the huge variety of food on offer. On a daily basis the restaurant offers two soups, a wide range and variety of salad dishes, a carvery offering three meats, a griddle producing three fish varieties and a wide range of other dishes served in sources or stir fried. A speciality table serves a daily range of food from different nations which included by way of example fresh Japanese Sushi and Mexican Enchiladas. Needles to say the wide range of main courses are complemented by an equally wide range of deserts. All food was well prepared, served hot and very edible. Drinks are quite expensive in comparison to local bars but not excessive to general hotel prices.
As an alternative to the buffet there is the Los Guayres a la carte restaurant located above the main buffet which boasts some prominent gourmet credentials in terms of the chef, the menu offered and the quality of food served. Residents on half board are allowed a €15per person deduction from the final bill. A glass of champagne awaited our arrival at our table as we dined alfresco on a Saturday evening in extremely warm temperatures and the whole experience was excellent. The maître d’hôtel took our order, recommended a quality Rioja that was not on the wine list and attended to every need with the support of his waiting staff. We chose the €42 six course taster menu for what was a special occasion and every course was presented to the highest of standards and tasted thoroughly delicious. I have no hesitation in saying that it lived up to all its self professed platitudes. If Michelin stars were awarded in Gran Canaria I would anticipate this restaurant would be suitably rewarded.
Not the strongest section of the facilities on offer with some quite basic artistes but they helped to pass an hour on as the very substantial dinner digested.
I apologise to readers for the length of this review but a hotel of this quality deserves to be properly reflected. If this hotel continues to operate as at present or even continues to develop it cannot fail but to go from strength to strength. It is certainly the Cordial group flagship and having stayed at the Cordial Golf Plaza in Tenerife I have no hesitation in saying that there is no comparison. I cannot wait to return and I am currently exploring the possibility of spending Christmas there this year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Odigeo, TravelUp, LoveHolidays, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, 5viajes2012 S.L. and Cancelon so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria