Spent 11 days at the lovely hotel in early February 2014. Booked it after reading such glowing reports on Trip Advisor and wasn't disappointed in any way. Wanted a sunshine break in winter for my Dad and myself. My Dad had his 86th birthday whilst we were there and he received a Birthday letter and cake from the hotel management (unprompted by me, they just noticed and put them in our room whilst we were out for the day). A nice, thoughtful touch. Dad was thrilled (he thought it was my doing initially!).
The hotel complex is huge with lots of different accommodation blocks built around quadrangle gardens which are just amazing. Large trees, plants, waterfalls, bridges, stepping stones etc. I'm sure later in the season there would be spectacular flower displays but in January there were only a few plants in flower. Inside the main hotel the gardens continue with more streams, waterfalls, bridges and even more outside around the pools. It really is more like a botanical garden.
The hotel was spotlessly clean everywhere. Even around the pools the 'sandy beaches' were raked and cleaned every evening. Rooms were cleaned daily and beds were comfortable without any plastic covered mattresses. DVD player was provided - a pleasant surprise. We took a travel kettle but could have borrowed one at no charge from reception. Have never come across this service before. Large beach towels provided at check in for use around the pool. Change them as often as you like for a clean one.
The food in the restaurant was mostly well cooked and plentiful - eat as much as you dare but you'll come home a stone heavier if you do! Never had to queue more than a minute or two at the 'a la carte' counter and fish and meat cooked to your preferred taste. There are 2 sittings in the evening and you need to select this on arrival (and keep to your choice for the duration of your stay) but this seemed to work very well. We opted for 1st sitting, could go down anytime between 6 and 7pm and as long as we were out by 8pm, there was no rush or pressure from staff. The restaurant is large and things are spread out over a large area with fish in one corner and meat at the opposite end, with food stations for the 'help yourself' food at both places. Soup and cold meats/salads and puddings/sweets scattered around in between. For those with mobility problems, this might mean quite a lot of too-ing and fro-ing unless someone is with you to go and collect it for you. Tea and coffee at breakfast served in pots on your table - non of these hot drinks machines we've experienced in previous hotels.
For those with mobility issues (like my Dad) I would recommend emailing the hotel in advance and ask for a room in the first accommodation block nearest reception, preferably get a room near a lift too. We did this and were glad we did. My Dad walks okay without a stick but he still struggled to get from our room to the restaurant as it is quite a long way and involved 2 lifts. We ended up hiring a motorised scooter through reception for a week (about 90 euros) which was delivered to hotel for us. You can also get wheelchairs and frames and all manner of gadgets from the same company. The scooter meant my Dad wasn't exhausted by the time he got to the restaurant and meant I could leave him during the day and he could get to and from our room to the pool etc. any time he wanted. Puerto de Mogan is also flat enough to tour about on one of these scooters without any difficulty. We also used it to have a grand tour of the hotel and gardens which my Dad couldn't have managed on foot.
If you want a room with sun on the balcony you'll need to be on 4th or 5th floor (some 3rd floor ones okay) as the trees are so tall in places any sun or scenery is blocked. Many balconies do not have much outlook at all or may be in total shade so don't be afraid to email your request in advance - the hotel was most helpful to my request.
There was evening entertainment every night - some better than others and may not suit all tastes. Upstairs in the bar there was a violinist some evenings and a pianist too one night. They were okay but not the best. As background music the violin was fine but the pianist was a bit too loud - and I didn't rate his singing..... but others guests seemed to enjoy them so maybe just not my taste.
Can't add any more to the other reviews already posted. It really is by far the best hotel I have stayed in and I know my Dad was similarly impressed. It helped that we had some lovely weather with lots of sunshine and no wind (previous holidays in Tenerife and Lanzarote were cold in comparison) but maybe we were just lucky this time. Thank you to all staff at this fantastic hotel for looking after us so well. We hope to come back next year.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Expedia, Odigeo, Booking.com, Southall Travel, TravelUp, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly and Ebookers so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria