Overall: A great quality hotel in a good location and we would definitely return for Los Guayres alone (see Food).
About us: English couple, 40s, looking for somewhere quiet and warm, 30th October - 6th November 2010. We booked with Portland and stayed half board.
Location: During the 90 minutes bus transfer from the airport you'll be getting worried as you pass through the other resorts. Thankfully most of the other passengers will be deposited at these McDonalds-clad hell-holes and you'll be whisked round the side of the mountain into the infinitely more pleasant resort of Puerto Mogan. The hotel is situated at the foot of the hills with an easy 10 minutes walk to the port. The port is known locally as Little Venice but in truth it's more like Little Blackpool. It's not to my taste (sun beds on the beach, characterful buildings spoiled with the frontage of cheap restaurants and bars) but nonetheless a vast improvement on the larger resorts. Don't bother with the Friday market: it's the same junk you'll find at your local car boot. There is an adequate Hiper Dino store within yards of the hotel where you'll find pretty much everything you'll need, with the exception of a smile from the surly staff. There is also a Spar on the way down to the port. A new, partially let shopping centre stands opposite the hotel. The area also has abandoned developments but these are screened at street level and do not detract too much from the otherwise stunning view to the mountains from the hotel.
Trips: We have been to the island previously and didn't feel the need to leave the resort. There is a zig zagging road up the hill opposite the hotel which leads to a narrow ridge along which you can walk to the transmitters above the port. Allow 90 minutes, take a phone and water.
Hotel facilities: The hotel was built in 2004. It is modern but definitely not tacky. It is quite big (I believe about 500 rooms). The main building is very well designed and has several interesting features, including a stained glass dome and man-made cave (it's more tasteful than it sounds). There is free wifi throughout the public areas which has only low bandwidth but is sufficient for writing Tripadvisor reviews on my iPhone. There is a free gym, a bowling alley (€4/game), spa, tennis and other activities. Most of the activities are located at or around the "blue building".
Grounds: The gardens are interesting and very well maintained. There is an unusual archaeological feature (an ancient graveyard) in the grounds and a well-hidden, card-operated exit behind the chapel, which provides a shortcut down to the port.
Food: Breakfast and dinner are the typical canteen style buffets. If you enjoy having plates shoved in your ribs and tripping over abandoned toddlers then you won't be disappointed. A particular problem here is that although the food is good, it is only lukewarm and the plates are cold. At breakfast get your own coffee from the machine (near the juices) as this is much better than the jugs they put on your table BUT READ ON. The hotel also has an a la carte restaurant (Los Guayres) which provides exceptionally high quality food and service. IF YOU DO NOTHING ELSE ON THIS HOLIDAY GO TO THIS RESTAURANT. It is open Tuesday-Saturday but needs to be booked at reception. If you would like an outside table (who wouldn't?) make sure you ask reception to write this on your reservation. You will receive a €15 per person discount on your bill and (contrary to what the rep told us) this is valid each day of your stay. We have eaten there every day that it has been open and have typically paid €30 for the two of us after discount. For lunch there are poolside bars. However we have preferred to get bread, ham, bottled beer, etc. from Hiper Dino and eat on the balcony.
Room: The room is very comfortable, clean and has plenty of wardrobe space. There is a mini fridge for your own drinks, air con and a TV. Before we arrived we requested a quiet room on a high floor and they obliged. There is a safe in the room. This was free, although the rep said there was a €2.60/day charge.
Pools: There are two pools: the one near the main building is much quieter than the one near the blue building. The usual problem of morons with towels applies but there are pool men around who will change your towels and move the beds to wherever you want them. The mattresses on the sun beds are very comfortable.
Entertainment: There is an act each evening in the downstairs function room. I don't think they are very high quality acts but that doesn't really bother us We have been to only one (a Chinese act). I felt sorry for them because there were only a couple of dozen in the audience. There is a piano in the reception lounge bar. This is often set to play automatically rather than by a pianist.
Guests: I would estimate that 90% of the guests are German, with a few English and Spanish. On the whole this is better than a hotel full of loutish English but there are some cultural differences that will possibly irritate you over time. As our children are now grown we often go on child-free holidays. This hotel does have children and you will definitely notice them but, with a couple of exceptions, they have been well behaved.
Staff: All the hotel staff have been polite and attentive. The head waiter in Los Guayres is exceptionally dedicated.
Reps: The Portland/First Choice/TUI rep was sweet but dizzy. The day we arrived was her last day. Much of what she told us turned out to be wrong so it's worth checking everything with reception. Unless you book a trip you probably won't see a rep during your stay, which is fine with us.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This impressive resort represents a Canarian Village and consists of 9 different buildings. There are 487 rooms, distributed in 399 double rooms, 33 single rooms, 5 double suites and 50 junior suites. There isn't a feeling of being in a large resort - the original architecture which includes a chapel speaks for itself. All rooms are equipped with air conditioning, satellite TV with integrated DVD-player, mini bar (for supplement), safe (on charge), bathroom with hairdryer, furnished terrace or balcony and more. The total surface of 48.000 M2, includes about 10.300 M2 of subtropical garden area with two splendid swimming pools (heated in winter) and whirlpools, kid's pool, kid's playground, solarium with sun beds, mattresses, umbrellas, and pool restaurant with terrace. This luxury resort offers a buffet restaurant, a-la-carte restaurant "Los Guayres," 3 bars, Discobar, Kiosque, a meeting room, a TV room, an internet and reading room (Internet on charge), Wellness and Spa Center "Spa Inagua" (for supplement, entrance up to 18 years old) and a large variety of sport activities (bowling alley, multi-sport field, gym, ping pong, darts, boccia, garden chess, aerobics, aqua gym...). Some activities may be on charge. The Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa is a unique combination of a luxury vacational resort with an authentic Spanish atmosphere in a peaceful and beautiful surrounding. The wonderful subtropical climate allows the visitor to enjoy water sport activities and to play golf all year round. • In January 2009 opened the international Dive Company. Extra Divers is based within the hotel offering dive courses and excursions• In March 2009 the archeological park "Las Crucecitas" was inaugurated. It forms part of the hotel and shows newest remains and findings of the ancient burial grounds of the Guanches• In November 2011 opened "Hike & Bike" offering bike rental, excursions etc.• WiFi free of charge in whole hotel area. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, Travel Republic (UK), TravelUp, Priceline, Expedia, HotelsClick, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Cordial Mogan Playa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cordial Mogan Playa Hotel Puerto De Mogan
- Mogan Playa
- Hotel Mogan Playa
- Hotel Cordial Mogan Playa
- Cordial Mogan Playa Puerto De Mogan, Gran Canaria