“Great family day out”

Curraghs Wildlife Park
Ranked #1 of 2 things to do in Ballaugh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Curraghs Wildlife Park is on the Ballaugh Curragh which is a site of special scientific interest and designated as an internationally recognised wetland habitat of importance (Ramsar site). With nearly 100 different species set in over 30 acres of open walk through exhibits and a beautiful tranquil setting this is a wildlife Park with a difference. The Park is s laid out in geographic regions; African Bush, Asian Swamp, European Marsh, Amazon forest, American Trail, Outback and the Pampas. In the popular children's adventure play ground area you will find the Meerkats and Prairie dogs. The Orchard line miniature railway is one of the longest miniature railway line in the British Isles and is loved by all ages, it runs every Sunday as well as other holiday days. With the Giant Bouncy Jumping Pillow and Mni-diggers this is the premier all day attraction on the Isle of Man. For rainy days there is an indoor soft play area to keep the kids entertained.Summer 2014 will see the adition of an exciting new play area called 'Enchanted Wood'. The restaurant is open every day and serves everything from snacks, home baking and ice creams to sit down meals. The nature trail is an excellent easily accessible way to see the Curragh (Manx willow bog) and all the diverse indigenous species it supports. You can spend a whole day here and just relax but even if you only have a couple of hours it's still worth the visit. We are open every day from 10am-6pm from Easter until the end of October, in the winter we are open weekends and school holidays. We are a BIAZA and EAZA member attraction.
Wishaw, United Kingdom
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Great family day out”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I visited curragh's in August with my husband and two children aged 20 and 15. We have visited this park before around ten years ago. I was worried that the children would have out grown it, but I need not have worried. This a great attraction that suits young and old. The animals are obviously well cared for and the park in general is well looked after. There is a great mix of animals, lots of which roam free. The bat house was a particular favourite! We had lunch in the café and the food was hot, fresh and tasty, and not to badly priced. Since we were last there, a new children's play area has been added, and although this was no use to us, it must be of great benefit to parents with young children, particularly the free indoor play barn - wonderful for showery days! This is a great value day out not to be missed when visiting the Island.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank LCunningham2013
Kathleen G, General Manager at Curraghs Wildlife Park, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Thank you for such positive feedback- you make a good point that you don’t have to have young children to enjoy this Park; it is appreciated by all ages. The couple who run the cafe are always keen to hear feedback, as well as providing snacks they cook all meals fresh to order and it has been expressed to me that people feel they provide very generous portions for the cost! Thanks for reviewing us it is much appreciated.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Ashford, United Kingdom
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great variety of wildlife without miles of walking”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

We've been before on a previous years holiday and thought it worth a return visit. Good balance of animals from around the world, generally in nature enclosures not in cages. The animal displays were supplemented by nature walks with explanation of the development of the local habitat to add interest. On-site cafe served a good lunch for a reasonable price. Appreciated the level access throughout.
Only disappointment was that we waited ages for the advertised animal feeding but gave up after 20 minutes of nothing happening.

Visited September 2013
Kathleen G, General Manager at Curraghs Wildlife Park, responded to this review, 8 October 2013
Great review, thanks for paying us a visit. I am concerned that we let you down on the feeding talk and I do apologise for this. I would like to know what day you visited and what animal talk you missed, that way I can find out if there was a reason or mix up so it doesn’t happen again. We do our best to stick to the times and don’t want to disappoint anyone. Thanks.
Colby, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The animals look a little sad”
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We go for the kids but to be honest the animals always look a little sad and half the pens are empty. On the plus side it's a lovely space and easy to get to.

Visited June 2013
Kathleen G, General Manager at Curraghs Wildlife Park, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Thanks for writing a review. Regular visitors that live on Island are really important to us. Please do have a chat with one of the keepers or Richard our Collection Manager or myself; we would be happy to chat to you about the animals here at the Wildlife Park. It is not uncommon for people to misinterpret certain animal behaviour as ‘sad’ when in fact they may just be relaxed. We have over 400 animals in large paddocks or enclosures and they are often larger than conventional zoos and offer a lot of natural vegetation, this is good for the animals but does sometimes mean not all animals will be seen all the time which might give the impression there are less animals as they are not packed into a small space. We are working to improve our enclosures from a visitor viewing point of view, while still keeping the natural spaces which make them good enclosures for the animals. I hope that you will understand that with a limited population here that the more visitors we get the more we can put back into the Park so please do continue to visit we really appreciate people supporting their local Wildlife Park. Thanks.
Derby, United Kingdom
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Good”
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

I dragged my sister to the wildlife park whilst on holiday. To be fair at the beginning she wasn't impressed. But as we walked around she became more interested. I really enjoyed it (after the mishap with my sat nav taking us down the old railway track lol) we had lunch at the cafe. Which was good value for money. Clean and staff polite.
I must admit that some of the enclosures do look tired. But the animals all looked cared for. My only true disappointment was I didn't get to see the red panda which was the main reason I wanted to visit :-( they where sleeping I hung about as long as I could but alas nothing. Would recommend for families. Loads to do for the kids. :-) n big kids with cameras like me lol.

Visited September 2013
Kathleen G, General Manager at Curraghs Wildlife Park, responded to this review, 3 September 2013
Thanks for paying us a visit. It’s a very good point you make about the sat nav, it takes you to the back of the Park where there is no entrance as the post code covers a large area! So do stick to the A3 TT course route and look for the Otter sign between Ballaugh and Sulby. Glad you had a good day, sorry you didn’t see the Red Panda, the staff are happy to help increase your chances of getting a good view of a specific animal, just ask when is the best time and they may well tell you when they will be feeding them. Thanks for your review we do appreciate our visitors giving us good feedback and we are continuing to improve the look of the Park for visitors, while keeping the natural essence that makes the Park feel spacious and a pleasant enviroment for visitors and animals.
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Enjoyable day out at 'Curraghs Wildlife Park' for a couple of big kids at heart...”
Reviewed 22 August 2013 via mobile

We've just spent a 'very' enjoyable day out at 'Curraghs Wildlife Park' we arrived just after 11am and we didn't leave until just before 5pm. So much value for so little money at £8.40 each I particularly enjoyed seeing the Otters, Meerkats and Prairie Dogs (I even climbed into the viewing pod to view the Prairie Dog still a big kid at heart at 40). I managed to capture some great photos on my camera as a lasting memory of our trip out. I would really recommend a trip out for families and as myself and my husband did as a couple. Finally thank you to one of the members of staff who was feeding one of the Otters as I captured my best shot there due to the lady keeping the Otters attention. We will visit again.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank mel_marsden60
Kathleen G, General Manager at Curraghs Wildlife Park, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
We really appreciate it when people give us feedback; we love hearing that people have had a ‘very’ good day. Staff are always happy to help make it a good day for our visitors. We are so glad you enjoyed the Park and we look forward to seeing you again.