“Know before you go”
Review of SanVa Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
SanVa Hotel
Ranked #85 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Taipei, Taiwan
“Know before you go”
Reviewed 20 February 2013

If you want a quiet, romantic night with your special somebody, look elsewhere. If you want a great place to bring your kids and 14 suitcases, look elsewhere. BUT, if you want a cheap place with tons of character and quirks, San Va is for you. My wife and I recently stayed there over CNY and we really enjoyed our experience. It almost felt like we were camping, but not.
Things to know:
The location is awesome - right in the heart of historic Macau.
It gets loud at night and the "walls" are paper thin, bring earplugs or headphones.
The bathroom is communal and runs out of tissue, but is kept fairly clean.
The price is much lower than anything else out there, but don't expect any frills.
The front desk doesn't speak English, and if you miss your check-in time they will give your room to the next paying customer.
Overall, you get what you pay for. We went in knowing what to expect and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Colton L

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Mountain View, California
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

Take four playing cards and put them edge up and arrange them into a square. That would pretty much summarize a room at Hospedaria San Va, where if I were to violently slam my door shut I'm afraid I would bring down not only my room but the adjacent ones as well. I can literally throw a tennis ball over my one wall to the next tenant, whose conversations (and cell phone alarms) I can hear clearly. I also don't happen to have a window.

But! I did ask around and most of the hotels nearby that aren't casinos charged between 850 and 900 MOP a night, so in addition to getting a bargain you're also within walking distance of historic (and beautiful) Macau. The staff don't speak English, the shower and toilets are shared, and you're advised not to drink the tap water from the sink in your room, though they do provide two drinking glasses.

On the whole, you do get what you pay for. Great for the budget traveler who doesn't want to shuttle back to Hong Kong and instead enjoy the night out.

Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank truediarist
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 13 January 2013

well, nothing so much to expect from a very cheap cost per night room stay from more than 100 old heritage guest house located in the center of Macau. It's very few minutes walks from the Senado square, few more walks to Grand Lisboa and St. Paul ruins.

there are a lot of authentic Macanese resto nearby, cheap eats. It's perfectly located at all your needs (drugstore, mcdonalds, 7/11, supermarket etc etc). Easily located and well known guest house for taxis. But to avoid problems upon your arrival, better print its name and address in Chinese characters (provided by the hostel reservation officer when you reserved online, do make reservation atleast a month because it's always fully booked), as not all drivers can speak/understand English.

Well, our room is two beds good for 4 people (we are three), quite big space with good ventilation, no airconditioning or heater, clean sheets.
BUT.... the room is made of thin wood-walls so you can hear all the noise at the other room and corridor, well, it might be "peaceful" sleeping IF OTHER GUESTS are considerate enough and do care enough to LOW their volume when talking. The guest house mostly occupied by Chinese people from mainland China and I guess, that's explains it.
there's free water at the front desk, bathroom is common, so you gotta bring your towels, soaps etc and be sure to be there early as there's only two showers available per floor.

other than nothing to complain, it's safe, it's ensuite with cameras and all.

suggest to the owner that since rooms walls are made of thin wood, they put signage saying "OBSERVE SILENCE AFTER 9:00PM until 8:00AM" or "BE A CONSIDERATE GUESTS, PLEASE LOWER YOUR VOICE."

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank catbearkiss
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 December 2012

dont be fooled by how cheap this place is!!!! it was supost to be under renovation when we were ther but it has been for a very long time! the rooms were budget style and so i didnt expect too much but the showers were absolutly disgusting and our room was filthy. the bed sheets wernt changed and we stayed in several room in the hotel. the sheets and blankets were revolting and when we asked them to be changed the owner got angry with us. i cant describe how bad they stunk!!!!!
we have stayed all over asia and in china and have never experienced anything so vile as this (and we have stayed in alot of budget rooms/hotels) i would definatly recommend looking on late rooms.com or a casino package as you get some really cheap deals.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Macau hotels

Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I booked this hotel due to the movies, and would like to experience the ambience. I say I come prepared. I did run into likeminds during my stay.

For less than USD 20 a single room, this is an ultra budget accommodation option, less than one-quarter of the cost of guest houses in the neighborhood. However, they still offer online reservation service.

It is an over hundred years old building, as most of the buildings around, no air conditioning, no ensuite should be expected. I will think give a second thought in a hot summer day.
For backpackers and heritage lovers, you will enjoy a stay here. If you are looking for star hotel services, you may want to think twice.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank Leungleo
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed 9 May 2012 via mobile

It was 1st exprience that no provide any towels at all accomodition since I was started travel.

I must bought towel by myself at supermarket.

However good locaton.

• Stayed May 2012
5 Thank matsukiyo70
South Pole
Reviewed 4 November 2011

I always stay in the most old / decrepit / authentic places I can find, and I'm glad I did San Va -- but I wouldn't do it again. Those infamous paper-thin walls not reaching the ceiling let in so much noise I was 'enjoying' my own surreal radio theater play all night long. To my left, three demimonde femmes played dice and phoned various men; to my right, the mainland guy bleated like a goat to block them out, and later snored like an helicopter. A rich Italian couple moved in across the hallway for a fling like Anouk Aimee and Marcello Mastroianni in the beginning of La Dolce Vita (enough said).

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo