“Quirky and full of character”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of SanVa Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
SanVa Hotel
Ranked #84 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Xiamen, China
“Quirky and full of character”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Don't expect anything more than basic, but we found this place charming. It fits perfectly into the characteristic narrow corridors and rustic history of Macau. The walls are little more than cardboard sheets but you have everything you need. Really well located too - can get to most tourist attractions in a 15 min walk... 20 min walk from Macau tower. Really nice fresh fruit store right underneath- perfect for breakfast juices and smoothies. Good way to soak in the real culture of Macau.

Room Tip: Twin room with window is good.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Melimei

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed 30 October 2013

This hotel is recommended as one kind of a hostel in Macau. Finding an affordable (cheap) accommodation in Macau is nearly impossible. That's why I decided to give it a try. They clearly state in their website that the place is a bit rundown. So, I've prepared myself. When I arrived, a 50's man was the receptionist. He only speak very basic English but he's friendly & I could understand what he's saying. So, no hassle with check in and check out. They asked me HKD/MOP100 for deposit which would be returned on my check-out.

I booked the "deluxe" room for HKD220/night. Okay, the room made me speechless. It's worse than I expected. The wall doesn't go up to the ceiling so it is easy to hear your neighbour's conversation. To be fair, the room and the bathroom were both very clean & spotless. However, it still gave me some goosebumps. They provide you a cupboard, sink, cups, chairs & table in the room. But, I did not dare to open the cupboard yet put my luggage there. I simply put my luggage on the chair because the cupboard seemed very old & (maybe) dusty inside.

I stayed only one night here because I was going back to Hong Kong the next day. Despite all of those creepy feelings, I could sleep quite well that night. I think it's more because I have neighbours. I could not imagine if there was no one in the next rooms. Yeah, it's dirt cheap for an accomodation in Macau. But, if you aren't an adventurous person, you're better not staying here.

Room Tip: I think it's better to choose a balcony room. Spend some money to get a sunnier room. It's a...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Ursula L
Daejeon, South Korea
Reviewed 20 August 2013

I always stay in hostels, and this was recommended as a kind of hostel in Macau. First problem: It's a very difficult location to find. It took me two hours of wandering through the sweltering Macau heat in the summer with my bags to find. When I did, the lady at the desk was very old and spoke no English, nor did anyone else there, which isn't a problem usually, but they weren't friendly at all. The biggest problem was that there are no walls for your room. Only dividers. My "room", which was quite small and not very clean, was between two other "rooms". Both rooms on the side of me smoked all night, and as I have an allergy, I felt ill the whole time. There's "No Smoking" signs all over, but no one pays attention. And you can't complain, because the people at the desk are either asleep or completely unhelpful. Spend the extra money and go somewhere else. I spent my whole trip tired and miserable because of this place.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
6 Thank AsiaTraveler99

Travellers are raving about these Macau hotels

Hobart
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I booked two nights in advance in a 'deluxe' room. The only reason I didn't leave immediately was because it was late at night and I was alone. I left early morning instead. It is all well and good to say that something is 'heritage', but this place was a hell hole. The walls do not go to the ceiling (noisy), the bathroom and showers were disgusting and pieces of the ceiling literally kept on dropping onto me and the floor of my room. The staff member spoke absolutely no English (which isnt necessarily a problem), so was unable to answer even the most simple of queries (ie. what time do I have to check out by). I wouldnt say this place has 'character' as such...it certainly wasn't charming. it depends on what kind of conditions you are willing to put up with. I am not new to roughing it, but this simply wasn't worth the money and was particularly unpleasant.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank meggles2012
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 21 March 2013

The Sanva website and email exchanges to book the room made it clear the accommodation was basic and a bit rundown, so that part was not unexpected. We had noisy neighbours though, and as there is a large gap between the ceiling and wall to the adjoining rooms didn't sleep very well.

Also, my friend and I had booked a twin room for 4 nights, and after flight delays arrived at 4am on the first night, only to be woken at 11.30am that morning by one of the staff yelling and shaking the door to tell us to get out. He then said we had to move to a room with a single bed for 2 people and tried to not let us back into our room. We insisted in staying in our room, stayed there for one more night and then moved to more comfortable accommodation at Hotel Royal for about $10 more per night each.

Nevertheless, it was an interesting place to stay with a lot of character (and characters) and in a great location for wandering around the prettier parts of Macau. Just be sure to bring everything with you (towels, toiletries including hand soap, sleeping bag/sheets, earplugs and eyemask for sleeping etc).

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Sarah A
Reviewed 1 March 2013

When I read all review of this place it makes me kind of worried about stay at this place but I can't find any where else cheap like this at the limited time before going there.

But when I arrived there, it's not that bad as I heard (in my opinion). As the owner said when I have booked vie e-mail. this place is a hundred year old building, of course it is quiet old but not too bad to stay. The building and the room make me remind of old Chinese movie.

I got a room with balcony. The room is okay in this price, bigger than room in HK, old and the cleanliness is not that bad. There are 2 shower rooms with water heater and 2 toilets which clean. But there are space between wall and ground and wall and roof so you can hear what's people in next room doing (also the noise from shared bathroom). And this place is surround with shops so it's quite noisy at night.

So if you want a 5 stars clean room DO NOT stay here.
If you can't sleep with noisy place DO NOT stay here.
If you can't climb up about 30 stairs with your stuff to go to your room DO NOT stay here.

But if you will be fine with all of those and have limited budget so this place is one of your choice.

Room Tip: In weekend the price is up from normal price about 100 MOP/HKD. So it's better to stay at Macau...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Ach S
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed 20 February 2013

If you want a quiet, romantic night with your special somebody, look elsewhere. If you want a great place to bring your kids and 14 suitcases, look elsewhere. BUT, if you want a cheap place with tons of character and quirks, San Va is for you. My wife and I recently stayed there over CNY and we really enjoyed our experience. It almost felt like we were camping, but not.
Things to know:
The location is awesome - right in the heart of historic Macau.
It gets loud at night and the "walls" are paper thin, bring earplugs or headphones.
The bathroom is communal and runs out of tissue, but is kept fairly clean.
The price is much lower than anything else out there, but don't expect any frills.
The front desk doesn't speak English, and if you miss your check-in time they will give your room to the next paying customer.
Overall, you get what you pay for. We went in knowing what to expect and really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple