“Cosy Portuguese”

Cuisines: Portuguese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 17 December 2013

We dined here for lunch last week with a group of five, as it was recommended by locals. Yes the restaurant was small but certainly did not lack atmosphere. The owner was friendly and helpful with suggestions. The beer was cold
Would recommend the old fashioned desserts. Worth a visit for traditional Portuguese food.

1  Thank jkochaustralia

Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Not sure what everyone is talking about. Starting going here a few years ago during our yearly visits to Macau and love it every time. I think it's about the approach you take with the owner. The last 3 times we went with bigger groups between 6-12 and simply told the owner to order for us based on what we sort of wanted and stuck with the house red wine which is acceptable. Best part it's more intimate than Fernando's and they take reservations. Food was great. 6 people 2200 HKD including water, wine and desert not bad.

1  Thank EazyGold
Reviewed 17 September 2013

Stopped in for dinner. Very little room to move around, with each table bulging in to another. You are practically elbow to elbow to the person on the next table. Forget about taking a bag or coat in. Reasonable to high prices (90-190 MOP for main disk, 100 MOP for 1L of house wine). Menu is limited which I like (but my friend didn't), and authentic Portuguese. However, atmosphere and service have much to be desired. Not exactly a place for a couple.

Reviewed 24 August 2013

I went to O Manel last Monday as when we lived in Macau we always liked going there for some basic Portuguese food. For a Monday evening the place was not busy. I have no problem getting a table whereas a year or more ago that would not have been possible. I noted the review about the Owner being rude. I know what the person means but that is just his natural make up. Believe me, he is not the rudest owner I have come across in Macau over the years. I had Octopus Salad which was if I am honest a disappointment. Far too oily, not enough salad and the Octopus was quite chewy. For main course I had my usual Favas (Bean Stew). It was as tasty as ever but I noted the portion size had reduced since we used to eat there 12 months ago. Maybe the Owner thought I could not eat a full portion. I have in the past experienced him questioning the amount of food we used to order as a family of four (but we never left anything). I suppose he thinks he is doing you a favour but the price does not reduce to reflect the portion size or his concern about your indigestion. For desert I had the egg pudding which was passable. I can only say overall it was average and if the Favas had not been that tasty it would have been below average.

1  Thank AgedMan
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Why the owner feels the need to be rude to his customers is puzzling, to say the least.
He sneered at my wife's request for water (she is teetotal) and scoffed at our request for French fries, which he tried to change to chips.
Happily, my wife speaks Cantonese, and was able to change to order back when his attention was elsewhere.
The food is very good, but the owner's attitude to paying customers makes this place worth avoiding. There are plenty of other Portuguese restaurants in Macau.

2  Thank Bairz