“Mandarin the name says a lot....but not the best one out there”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 19 September 2011

We were on a boys trip to Macau and had to change hotels midway as Wynn (which I reviewed earlier) did not have rooms for Friday or Saturday night. I am an Amex Platinum member and so through Amex got a decent deal at Man O Macau. The rate was about 2600 HKD per night which included breakfast and upgrade to a jr suite.

The hotel is actually very close to Wynn. From the back casino exit of Wynn you can walk across to the One shopping center (which is linked to MGM) and the shopping center is connected to Mandarin. But we had some luggage and so had to take a taxi. The cab driver must be wanting to increase the meter charge so it took us 10 minutes to get to Man O which is a 5 minute walk from Wynn :).

We got in at about 1 PM. We enquired about the upgrade and they upgraded us to a bay facing room which was the next category as they claim they did not have a junior suite. But another reviewer has mentioned they he was upgraded to a jr suite so not sure if the hotel was trying to not give us the Amex guaranteed rate.

The room itself was pretty small as compared to Wynn. This cant be a Mandarin Oriental room. I can understand if they give a small room at HKG due to real estate cost. But not at Macau. I was disappointed with the room size. The floor has wood paneling and as always with wood after some time you get that wood smell. I am not a big fan of wood on hotel floors. The door etc did look a bit dated. the edges were chipped. I am surprised how as the hotel is less than 2 years old. Seems that they are not continuously maintaining and upgrading the small things. Expect more from Mandarin.

The hotel has 1 main restaurant and a 1 lobby cafe. The restaurant food was quite nice and is worth trying. It is multi cuisine and the dim sums were really good. Did not try the spa so cant comment on that.

There is a free drop off to the ferry termina (as with all hotels). The concierge went out and bought our tickets in advance for a small 10% service fee. Well worth it. They charge for internet. Quite expensive. It was 190 HKD for a day. Wynn charged 110 per day.

Overall good hotel but a REAL Mandarin. When I stay at Man O I have high expectations. Unfortunately this one could not meet it.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank VCG

Reviewed 3 September 2011

Very nice Mandarin Oriental on Macau Island. I was upgraded to a junior suite which had lovely views and all the amenities that you expect from the Mandarin. The lobby feels luxurious and quiet - you can walk though some shops to get to the MGM for gambling. The breakfast buffet was just excellent.

All in all, first rate, which is exactly what you'd expect.

Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2011

It's great without the casino inside the hotel. Thanks God! At least much more quiet and no cigarette smell fill up air-con system. If you want to know how lucky you are, just next door through the shopping mall 24hours - MGM.
It's much more like boutique hotel, nice interior design with so much details, especially in the bar. Lobby bit small but very stylish with nice staffs. Guest room is nice too with nice bay view and big bathroom plus closet (love it). Swimming pool is not very big but also with a nice bay view. F&B service not quite active, pool side, the waiter never come to us when glass empty. and all sudden present the bill without telling us why we have to pay now when we want to order some more drinks. Same issue happen in the restaurant too. Apart of those everything great.
Little Tips (maybe many of u notice), if you see the taxi stand very busy, you can take MGM shuttle, then go through shopping mall then you will be there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 August 2011

I have stayed at the Macau MO during the month of july 2011. It’s now my favorite hotel in Macau, and that comes from someone who has tried at least 15 different hotels in Macau and Cotai (yes I know I’m a sick gambler who spends 50 days per year in Macau, no need to remind me!).
Being European what I liked at the MO is that everything is tasteful (by European standards that is – I’m French!-). Everything isn’t like that in Macau, the night before I was staying at the StarWorld (5’ walk from MO), I have nothing against the starworld and its friendly staff, except the fact the room were a big too bling bling for me… I just didn’t like the décor.
That’s quite the opposite; I really enjoyed the sober luxury of MO… Everything is fine, a special mention to the friendly staff who speaks perfect English (which is NOT common in Macau!). Thumbs up for the HR manager, because aside from their English skills, the ladies from the staff, were smiling (that’s not always the case towards westerns in Macau hotels) and very elegant. (light make up, strict but elegant outfit etc…).
As you can see the photo the room is a bit small but the bath room is huge and has windows. From your bath you can look at the river. The internet is ridiculously expensive (I think like 150-180 HKD which is roughly 15 Euros), but the cables and wiring is close to perfection. You can plug your laptop to the plasma / LCD screen.
The restaurant is really nice, the menu is like 15 pages! It contains asian and western food. It’s a tad expensive, (ie : it’s a bit more expensive than Grand Lisboa’s Eight Cantonese restaurant which has 2 michelin stars!) but within acceptable standards for European customers. (we paid 1500 HKD for 3 persons)
I’m expecting Michelin to give the MO oriental restaurant 1 star in its 2012 edition!
The pool is a bit narrow, but has a very respectable size, and its shape allow to make a proper swin. There is a small bar on the pool deck which serves drinks & snacks.
What I enjoyed at MO is that it’s such a cosy and quiet place, that you feels like being far away from the casino madness, and at the same time the hotel is connected to the MGM and has a passage to access the back entrance of the Wynn in two minutes!
It would be perfect if it was a bit cheaper! : ) As a gambler I often stay in Macau for 2 or 3 consecutive weeks, and it seems they doesn’t have a long term rate, so 3K HKD x 21 = 63,000 HKD for a 3 weeks stay, and I’m not even sure I’m including all the week end surcharge! Ouch! Especially in case of negative casino sessions!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank DR_MOJITO
Reviewed 24 July 2011

The service was a knock out experience, very attentive to detail, best among all the hotels we stayed so far. We celebrated our 30 th anniversary there and they sent a cheese cake tray together with a nice bottle of red wine and card. The next day, a beautiful fruit platter with some Asian dim sum. Staffs were very helpful and friendly to make us feel welcome. Their service were unbeatable! Best yet there is no casino on their property...very quiet and good air quality. The bay view was beautiful. Stay there and you won't regret!

Room Tip: Don't be shy to let them know if you have something special to celebrate. Get the bay view if po...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 July 2011

Is one of the best hotel in Macau. The accommodations are superb, the service is what makes this hotel the best, expect to be greeted by name by the hotel staff. The rooms are extremely well appointed. Except that F&B breakfast buffet lack of selections and no free bus shutter like the casino hotel.
Had a good experience in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank yv0nnet
Reviewed 14 July 2011

I stayed here for two nights, overall it was was below standard with only one or two highlights.

When I got to the room and unpacked my bag I went to take a hanger off the pole and it crashed to the ground, that was the beginning of my list. Then took a shower and the shower head shot off. So I called the front desk to inform them and they told me it would be taken care of. We went out and asked the bellboy to tell the cab driver where we wanted to go. 1) he hardly spoke English and 2) did not know where the main Square was.

When I woke up the next day I went to take a shower and noticed that the shower head was broken, so I got in the bathtub and used the shower head connected to the bathtub and as I pulled towards me the head shot off again and the water shot up everywhere and got the entire bathroom wet. Proceed down to breakfast were they forgot my order for a Latte twice and good luck ordering eggs or omlette at the egg station as the cook doesn't understand English, so spent my mornings using hand signals.

So after two days both my shower and bathtub didn't work it seemed like majority of people didn't speak English.

Now I know people will say that I'm travelling to a foreign area, but I go here all the time and this is the first time I've had this problem. And almost no one speaks Portuguese there any more so English is always good.

However, there were three good staff members there. Francis at Concierge, Vera and Jose in the restaurant.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends