“superb property; service needs improvement”

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #2 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 26 November 2011

Mandarin Oriental is one of the only smaller hotel with a boutique feel that you can find in Macau.

I had a premier room with excellent lake views -- especially at night. The room itself is very tastefully appointed, and the bathroom is nothing short of spectacular. The bed is extremely comfortable. All in all, one of the best hotel rooms I've stayed in a long time.

The infinity pool is not big, but very enjoyable. I had a virgin mojito poolside, which was delicious! The gym is also quite decent.

My only complain is the service. While the staff tries to be helpful, they are just not polished enough for a 5-star Mandarin.

Room Tip: make sure to get a lake view room.
1  Thank jonjon97

Reviewed 23 November 2011

I am bit late on my review but stayed at the MO Macau early this year around March. The service was excellent as expected from any Mandarin Oriental, the rooms a gorgeous with great views. The room design of the bedroom and bathroom was absolutely great, this is something that I will be doing in the future in my apartment. The service was simply spectacular! I loved the proximity of my favourite casino the MGM, which was great as at the MGM they have great restaurants with excellent quality of food. I did not eat at the Mandarin Oriental but definitely it will be back there on my next trip to Macau.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 November 2011

i will strongly suggest this hotel will give you a nice and pleasant vacation in Macau. the location is perfect and the hotel staff were really accommodating and nice.

Room Tip: very nice view on higher floors
1  Thank maria bella yol... a
Reviewed 15 November 2011

Hotel is very good, but please check prices as they do not include taxes. They offer spa voucher for american express cards. hotel offers free shuttle to and from ferry terminal.
Unfortunately they charge too much for wifi.
Rooms are very modern and all equipment is really good. we had a room with ocean view.
check-in was made in the room and all the staff was very friendly. for gamblers this hotel does not have a casino.

Room Tip: sea view is very good.
Reviewed 6 November 2011

We arrived at the ferry terminal and made ourselves known to the Mandarin Oriental service desk and within minutes we were being taken to the hotel by one of the hotel cars. We were met at the entrance of the hotel and whisked up to our rooms for a very smooth and efficient check in.

Our room over looked the lake/bay area and was absolutely stunning. Very large room that easily accomodated a King size bed plus rollaway for our son. BIG bathroom with tub right up against the window overlooking the view. Well laid out with seperate toilet, shower and double sinks - oh and a plasma tv that our son took great delight in watching as he sat in the bath ! Big dressing area for cases etc as well.

Pool area and the service there was amazing, infinity pool overlooking the waterfront - just stunning.

We loved Macau, hated the whole casino scene so were so glad we chose to stay at the Mandarin Oriental. We wished we had at least 1 more night there and would love to go back.

Thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ToddlerTales
Reviewed 21 October 2011

Stayed here for a family get away.

We splurged, got a suite on a very high floor. View was magnificent.

Rooms are new and opulent. Service was outstanding. Everything we experienced from the pickup at the ferry terminal, welcome when we arrived (gift for 6th yr old niece was prepared), personalized the room for our needs. They know how to make you feel welcome.

Breakfast was very good, expect to be crowded by plenty of mainlanders with little etiquette.

spa was exceptional, pool was small but plenty of fun with the kids.

Try the free rain shower in the change rooms.

Hotel is interconnected to the MGM for the big kids.

I would recommend this hotel for those who want to experience service.

One problem was the time it took to get cabs during peak periods.

Room Tip: Let them know who's coming and your requirements before hand. They will then tailor your stay as...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I spent one night at the Mandarin Oriental Macau during October 2011 and came away impressed but not blown away by the hotel. I checked in at around 8.30pm and had booked using the AmEx platinum Fine Hotels programme. Despite the fact that there was plenty of availability in every class of room at the hotel they did not offer me an upgrade, despite the fact that I was entitled to one under the programme. After a brief conversation with the receptionist, they did end up giving me a one level room upgrade.
The room was spacious, well decorated with a gorgeous marble bathroom with large tub and separate large shower, it was the best Mandarin Oriental bathroom I saw on a trip during which I stayed at M.O.s in Tokyo and Hong Kong as well as Macau.
The bed was very comfortable with high thread count cotton sheets and the noise level was low. My room had a view over the bay including the Macau Tower and bridge.
I got a massage at the spa, which was absolutely gorgeous,: the quality of the massage was very good and the massage room was one of the nicest I have ever seen.
I had the buffet breakfast, which was very good with a wide selection of offerings and extremely solicitous service. I also ordered a room service meal, which was of high quality and arrived reasonably promptly.
I used the gym, which was very attractive indeed, with a view to the pool, and an excellent selection of machines and weights - highly recommended.
Just a couple of quibbles :
1. I had booked a non-smoking room and was given a room on a smoking floor (8th) although my room smelled fine so i did not bother to complain.
2. As well as charging around $500 including tax for a room, they charge $20-25 per day for wireless internet.
Other than the slight snafu at reception, service was excellent throughout my stay.
It is certainly a welcome addition to the top hotels in Macau and I would rank it slightly below the new Banyan Tree, although the One Central location of the Mandarin is clearly a superior location to the Galaxy in Cotai.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business