“Impeccable Hotel, Outstanding Service, Wonderful Experience....” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mandarin Oriental Macau

Mandarin Oriental Macau
Ranked #3 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Hong Kong, China
“Impeccable Hotel, Outstanding Service, Wonderful Experience....”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2012

My boyfriend and I spent the weekend here for his birthday celebration. The Mandarin Oriental in Macau is without a doubt the epitome of great service and luxury. We were thoroughly impressed and overwhelmed by the type of service we received. Their staff go above and beyond for their guests. The spa was fabulous, the room was great (we were upgraded to a premier view room with awesome views) and the restaurant (Vida Rica) was delicious! We loved everything about our stay and we will surely be back....hopefully soon! Mandarin Oriental Macau is now offically my favourite hotel in Macau and is truly the best hotel in Macau! They are pricey but they do deliver! Simply outstanding. Second to none.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2012

We decided to spend a night in Macau and after reading all the hotel reviews, chose to give MO a try... AMAZING. No regrets there.

- Unlike the other hotels, we were driven to the hotel from the terminal in a private car not those huge packed buses (no extra charge)
- The moment you walk in, all the hotel staff were extremely friendly and it was nice and quiet.
- Because it was our anniversary that day we got upgraded to the highest floor and a bigger room which had the most amazing view and was the size of a city apartment! We also had a chocolate cake delivered to us too, just because it was our anniversary.
- Although MO doesnt have a casino, MGM is right next door so you are only a 2 min walk away from their casino.

I highly recommend staying here! One of the hotel experiences I have had.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012

There are so many luxury hotels opening in Macua in recent years that one is spoilt for choice. The Mandarain Oriental is distinctly different. It clearly caters for those who want a relaxing spa break. Gamblers, gourmets, business travellers and families should look elsewhere.

The check-in and check-out is leisurely. The conceirge and the doormen are also relaxed and leisurely. Getting a taxi (there's no hotel shuttle) takes ages. If you do not have all the time in the world, this is not the place for you.

Similarly, if you HAVE TO check emails or work in your room, you are not the type of client they are looking for. The work desk faces a blank wall and there is no free internet access.

The buffet breakfast also fits in with the health spa concept. They have exquisitely managed to provide food which cannot be faulted (this is the Mandarin Oriental after all) but is so unappealing and unappetising that you are under no temptation to indulge. I would have found it difficult to hold myself back if they had served fresh crispy pastry, more varieties of bread, muesli, better varieties of cold cuts and cheese, more varieties of fruit juices, more varieties of yoghurt, better quality butter or olive oil, a choice of sausages.... Alas, they have carefully withheld all my favourites which would be taken for granted in any modestly good hotel in Europe.

The prospective guest must also be warned about safety. The hotel was designed without any regard for safety. The sliding doors are heavy and the opening of doors and drawers not smooth. It is very easy to trap and crush your fingers. There is no safe place to put the boiling kettle. I should think that this hotel is not suitable for children or the elderly.

Nevertheless, this is a special hotel, intimate, quiet and elegant. Every room enjoys breathtaking views. The staff is very friendly.

Room Tip: Every room has a nice view of the surrounding waters.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Prof_Cheung
Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2012

My husband, our two daughters and I recently stayed at the Mandarin for one night for a birthday celebration. We had booked two rooms, interconnecting with our young children's room, one twin and one king. The rooms themselves are spacious and tastefully decorated and include an Nespresso coffee machine which my husband appreciated!
The main standout for me was the impeccable customer service, which began from the time I booked the rooms over the telephone. We were then met at the ferry terminal and driven quickly to the hotel where no less than 5 staff members we waiting outside to greet us. We were taken immediately up to our rooms for an in room check in, and this was at 10.30am, excellent as we were with our children.
As is fitting for a hotel of this caliber, children's amenities, toiletries, slippers and bathrobes were thoughtfully waiting in the room and children's coloring packs were also later brought up.
We had booked a babysitter for the evening and she came along with the Assistant Manager 10 minutes before the confirmed time to go over any special requirements - which there were none, but appreciated none the less.
Our girls were well looked after and soundly asleep when we returned and reported favorably on their babysitter the following morning.
Breakfast the next day was lovely, the staff again very attentive and helpful, particularly as the girls wanted to help themselves to the buffet!
A late check out was offered though we didn't need it, and appreciated.
I would most definitely stay here again, as our stay was excellent. A bonus in my opinion is that the hotel does NOT have a casino onsite, however if you wish to gamble, the massive MGM Hotel and Casino is attached and a 2 minute walk from the lobby.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank nichkg
Taipei
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I recently visited Macau and stayed at MO. I will have to say it's the best in Macau. We have stayed in Four Seasons, Macau before, but the team at MO exceeded our expectations. The hotel staff from front desk, concierge to in-room dining were extremely helpful and enthusiastic. My husband especially loved their pool and fitness center. I loved the location, being closed to shopping facility and casino, but away from the crowd and noises. We would stay there again when we visit Macau next time.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dazzlingdivatw
Hollywood, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2012

We decided to last minute to go to Macau for the night to celebrate my husbands birthday.
We took the ferry over to Macau and checked in to the Mandarin, our room was 2011 and the view was great! When we checked in Pee Wee asked why we were there and I told her to celebrate my husbands birthday, she immediately asked what cake he liked and at what time would we want it to be sent to our room. Pee Wee also booked tickets for us to see the House of Dancing Water, a must! I have traveled extensively this year and I can say hands down that this hotel had the nicest staff hands down! If there was a hiccup, they quickly recovered. When I booked the hotel, I got the package with breakfast, let me warn you, the breakfast that is included is room service or buffet, not a la carte at the restaurant. I have asked them to be specific on their website and at check in so people do not get confused. But they never made an issue out of it and did not charge us for breakfast. The only downer, which all hotels are doing now and I do not understand, is you have to pay for wifi.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

Stayed here with my family (wife, new born and helper) for a weekend. Superb. As you can see from previous reviews I am a tricky customer, to say the least! But I couldn't find fault with this hotel. We had stayed here before, in February of this year, and frankly it was not what it should have been. The room was nice but had a poor view, and wasn't as clean as it should have been. The staff were efficient, but hardly friendly. So while it wasn't 'bad', it just wasn't quite right either.

Thats all changed.

Met at the front door as we stepped out of the car by Yolanda and her team. Straight through to the rooms for check in. We had booked two and they kindly upgraded one of them to a suite. We had stayed in this room type the last time, but this felt much nicer and with a great view towards Macau Tower. Suite was huge, with large sitting area, big bedroom and great bathroom. The second interconnecting bedroom was also very nice, and was a great size too - and this is their standard room. I'd have been happy there too no doubt. Beds really comfy, pillows a bit soft for my liking but they will change them. Loads of towels, nice amenities (and again, plenty of them). Great LCD tv's with excellent sound system. They had all the stuff for the baby, plus a cot. They even provided special shampoo, shower gel etc for our baby - nice touch.

Breakfast was excellent. Here the change was most evident to me. They have clearly spent a lot of time training their staff and it shows here. Very warm, genuine, welcome. Huge help getting big table for us so we could park the baby's pushchair. Happy to serve us whatever we needed (even though its a buffet) and even offered to carry my plate from the egg station to the table! Recognised us the 2nd morning, asked about our daughter - just really top notch. Food is also very good btw.

My wife had a spa treatment, and said it was very good. On check-out the manager Ricky came over and handled it himself, and we had a nice chat. So overall absolutely world class. Macau has a fantastic choice of brand hotels, but what they've all been lacking is the service. The Mandarin is the first of them to get it right, though the Four Seasons is also very close. The fact it has no casino, and hence no tour groups, means its very relaxed. But don't worry fellow gamblers, its not even 5 mins to the MGM - not to mention the One Central mall, which is choc full of brands. One of the best hotels i've stayed anywhere.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family