Grand Lapa Macau
US$135
US$130
Sheraton.com
  • Pool
Grand Coloane Resort Macau(Macau)(Great Value!)
US$130
US$219
US$305
US$279
HotelsClick
All reviewssands casinobela vistaferry terminalresort poolmandarin orientalcake shopgreat poolgrand prixkids clubfree shuttleunder renovationbit datednice resorthotel shuttlehotel is locatedsmall casinocasino hotels
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Best place in Macau to avoid the casinos, bling and crowds - excellent option is you want a space after wandering around or even all day to just relax and unwind.

The pool are is tranquil and relaxing with food and bar service when you need it. The staff are fantastic - helpful, friendly and knowledgeable. The spa is fantastic - make sure you book a massage, spend the afternoon by the pool and then try one of the restaurants - i recommend Naam Thai. Another review noted you can get a cheaper massage elsewhere - true but you have to walk there and back etc etc and from experience the quality at Grand Lapa is excellent - something for which I am willing to pay.

The breakfast buffet is great - good range of food and nice space but you can order room service breakfast which is really good for about the same price. I recommend the Chinese breakfast option - excellent way to start the day.

Cafe Bella Vista is a good option for lunch - i often invite local residents to meet me there. the only drawback is that it is the only place in the hotel where the service can be a bit patchy. The cake shop is excellent and if you are hungry later on, after 7 pm everything is half price.

The staff are great - helpful, friendly and willing to make an extra effort to help you get what you want. I arrived at checkout without a lot of time to finalise my bill (because I was having a massage) and then proceeded to pay using two currencies and two credit cards (personal and work) - this meant I missed the shuttle but they had already organised a driver to take me once the bill was finalised so that I was there in plenty of time.

The wifi was fine while I was there and I was able to work online at the pool as well as in my room so it looks like they have sorted this out.

Yes it is an older hotel but everything works well, it is spotlessly clean and tidy and the service is great. Location is good and I definitely recommend a visit to the Art Gallery - 5 minutes walk.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Spa side have a nicer outlook
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank AlasdairMW
Reviewed 14 September 2013

First the good bits :

Location - superb - 5 mins from ferry terminal, next to Sands, GP & Wine museum
Room size - spacious well maintained & neat & clean and comfortable
Breakfast buffet - really good choice and lovely area to sit n enjoy it.

The problems were :
The wifi was simply atrocious- despite paying for it it the speed was worse he the old 56K modems we had 10 years ago - they claimed we could connect 3 devices per room (we had two rooms) we barely could get more than one device working in two rooms ad that too was pathetic - upon calling we had 35 mins onthe phone wit their IT but no one could help us - its was simply a farce and a rip off .

The hotel has seen better days - whilst it very well maintained - the bathroom looks like its straight out of the eighties and really dated.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was booked to stay here with my group and we were all quite impressed. From the fabulous breakfast served in the morning (fresh omelets, endless fresh fruits and salad bar, western food as well as local fare) to the easy shuttle access to the other island, to the spa services (which were a little overpriced…you can find much cheaper right outside the hotel) to the very up to date gym with classes, I was happy with my stay.

The only thing I found irritating was that the Macau dollar is almost impossible to find here in this hotel. While I was here the exchange rate between the Hong Kong dollar and Macau was enough that I wanted to use Macanese money to make the most of my dollar. Though they will accept either, not one of the ATMs in this hotel or in the Sands next door--where you're often directed-- dispense Macau money. And on top of that, not one of the exchange counters found all over the grounds will exchange your ATM money for Macau dollars! I found it extremely frustrating. This is Macau afterall….why wouldn't they provide Macanese money?

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Elizabeth H
Reviewed 28 August 2013

The Grand Lapa has seen better days... far better.
While the location is fantastic & the rooms are a good size the hotel just does not cut it.
The shower fittings, room furnishings all say that at one time in the past this was a top class place.
Their casino is pretty deserted coz the crowd is all at the fantastic Sands Casino next door. Breakfast & room service is what we had & it was really good quality & well priced.
The wi-fi despite being paid is horrendous - dont pay for it coz it is a rip off.
And a strange habit at this hotel is rationing the drinking water supply in the rooms. I mean either they should you give a few jugs or full size bottles - 2 adults cannot survive on the mini bottles that are kept in the room.
All in all you would do well by paying a few extra dollars but going with bigger hotels.

Room Tip: The view from the odd numbered rooms is better than from even numbered rooms
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Staff much friendlier than my last visit and breakfast staff were much more attentive to coffee refills. They even upgraded me to a high floor resort facing room and internet access was included. I appreciated the personal welcome notes and the daily fruit basket, however, the hotel must have a bad supplier for fruit, for two days in a row, I got bad apples, I included a picture just for fun. By the way, a thank you email from the hotel came telling me that another email will come asking for my feedback, something came thus far, but whatever, I love the place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple