“Great Find in Macau”
Review of Hotel Royal Macau

Hotel Royal Macau
Ranked #26 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I stayed in Hotel Royal Macau for 3 nights last Feb 2012. I've decided to stay in this hotel mainly because of the positive reviews. Before deciding which hotel I would choose, I read both positive and negative comments so that I am on the look out. What I really love about the hotel is the front office and restaurant staff (Vasco Da Gama). Most of them are Chinese and Filipinos. I have to give credit to the Filipino staff who never failed to assist us and always giving us their warm friendly smiles.

We stayed at a Deluxe room up in 17th floor. The room was nice and just enough for me and my husband for a quick city break. I also love their buffet breakfast that they served everyday. There have a variety of choices and it was really good (for us at least). The only thing that I was surprised to learn is that the free WIFI is available only for guest staying at 15-16th floor (I think those are premier rooms), the restaurants and at the lobby.
My only negative comment is about the HOUSEKEEPING. They need to level up a bit. When they cleaned the room, I was expecting them to clean the cups and spoons that we've used for our coffee. Since those are provided by the hotel and they should've cleaned it when used which in our case, I was surprised they didn't.
They've been a bit reckless too when they unplugged our mobile charger from the socket. When we returned to our room, I found out that our charger was already broken. A piece of it was still stuck inside the socket.
There was also a time that we still have our jet lag and was trying to catch up on sleep during the afternoon when the housekeeper used to the doorbell so many times and it just woke me up. As I was still tired from our trip, I couldn't stand up to open the door and tell them to just comeback later that day. But it didn't stop there. They used the doorbell repeatedly which is I think unnecessary and disrespectful. They can use the phone like most other hotels would do. This is a first with my experiences with 4-5 star hotels.

The location was great and near to the city center. There are free shuttle bus to tour the city and it stops at certain tourist spots but since Macau is really small you can explore many places just by walking. St. Paul Ruins, Senado Square, Grand Lisboa, Wynn, MGM and even the Fisherman's Wharf can be reached by foot.

Overall, our stay in Hotel Royal Macau was really nice and we enjoyed it. I was not expecting 5 star treatment as I didn't pay for it. Macau is expensive and finding a really nice hotel was difficult for me, but in any case that I would be returning, I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing the Vasco Da Gama Park would give you a view. WIFI is not free for Del...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 March 2012

Our room was upgraded and we were on the 16th floor and it was very nice. Air conditioning was quiet and sleep quality fine. Breakfast was fine. Orange juice not bad, cooked breakfast fine and choice of bread and croissants. Staff were very helpful and smiley. Hotel is in a good central location for exploring Macau and has a free shuttle bus which takes you to the ferry terminal and the various casinos. It is also very good value.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Everything started from a poorly managed check in when the FO agent was extremely loose and light in his explanation about the rate applied from HKD to MOP. Asked for for duy manager but ended up talking to Front Office manager. Got an upgrade to executive floor, which did not propose any extra services but free Wifi. The keys weren't right though, so had to get down for a new set. The next day, went to Lange after check out and asked for a coffee. The server told to get it myself at counter as it was take away. When I expressed my discontent, he eventually told me to calm down. Ask for the manager on duty and the PR manager came to hear my complaint after 15 minutes although I asked different staff for a manager. At some point, one of them told me "we know about the case..."'. Overall, this is an overrated hotel with pathetic service. Not recommendable.

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank captainolive
Reviewed 19 February 2012

This hotel location is very good. Near to city for shopping and gambling. Nearby,
lots of nice restaurants to have good food.

Room Tip: Good sizeable rooms
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Susan S
Reviewed 18 February 2012

It is a 5-star hotel - comfort, service are well in place. The hotel is obviously older than other later 5-stars in Macau, such as The Venetian and Galaxy, so there's no point in comparing them. You'll have to expect what you may see - older building, older fashion of hotel rooms, etc. I've read a lot of reviews about the impoliteness of staff, but I met at least 5 male and 3 female staff during my stay, and they were all helpful and friendly. I am guessing those travellers that wrote the reviews had a harder luck than me. Do not expect the bed to be very soft, actually do not expect soft bed when u travel to china. The bed is comfortable enough, unless you have a really soft backbone. Shuttle bus schedule is good, you can travel to the ferry terminal, The Venetian, Casino Lisboa, etc. for free, but do check with the concierge in the lobby about the timing. Shame that I didn't get to use the swimming pool because it's under renovation.

Room Tip: Get higher levels room for better view
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 February 2012

The staff is always helpful and proactive. The hotel is 15 minutes walk to city's main square and has a shuttle bus getting the main attractions. The room and bathroom are comfortable, but don't expect a nice view from your window. The breakfast is poor. Must improve the quality of cheese, ham and breads.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2012

We booked this hotel, because it was one of the lowest rates in the caregory. Worth every penny, it was... Excellent location, very close to everything in Macau. The casino is amazing ( i won here :). Very nice rooms, comfortable with all facilities aand a very helpful staff. The internet wasn't working in my laptop when I reached, and in a few minutes an IT guy of the hotel came and fixed the problem. Its not too noisy, so you can enjoy your stay and relax.
Loved the swimming pool, since it was cold when we went and it was indoors with warm water. They have pick ups and drops from the ferry port also. Had a wonderful time staying here.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple