“Love This Hotel”
Review of Hotel Royal Macau

Hotel Royal Macau
Ranked #26 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 28 October 2013

Why I choose this hotel is because it is cheap and worth it. The hotel has a pick up service in the ferry station. We were welcomed by countless Filipinos working in the hotel. They were hospitable and it feels like staying in the comfort of your home. The swimming pool is very inviting. The hotel personnel assigned in the area is very friendly. The hotel may not be in the center of the peninsula but not that far to explore the whole area.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Jeng14

Reviewed 25 October 2013

We are currently staying at this hotel. The staff cannot do enough to help you. We received an upgrade to the 17th floor, that has fabulous views. Although the hotel only has a tiny casino they provide pick up service from the ferry and shuttles all day to the other casinos. Across the road is a great little restaurant to have all meals. For 2 it was about $10 AUD. The concierge recommended a great restaurant, where we went last night called a Lorcha.
We will come back to the hotel and also the restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade sometimes they are free!
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I had a great time here, I thought the location was good for exploring the peninsula, including the Ruins (about a 15-20 minute walk), and several other sights. It is a bit far from the casinos, but they have a slot-only casino in the lobby. It was nice and quiet from the outside. Inside the casino, it was a bit chilly, and there are only slots (sigh, I'm a dice girl). The lobby is a great place to hang out, and wi-fi worked fine. Saturday night I was quite impressed with the lounge singer, I wished I'd known/had seen more of her set.

I had to wait about an hour to check in, since they don't check in early, which was a little annoying. They did hold my luggage and I just went and had some lunch. When I did check in my room was upgraded, so it was quite nice, and had wi-fi, but again I think that was part of the upgrade. The concierge was fantastic, and helped answer all of my questions for getting around Macau, and even over to the island.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 October 2013

My name is Mohsin Khan. I have spent 1 day here with my wife on 2nd Oct '13.
5 star hotel. Rooms are little small but good facilities. They give you airport transfer and also free shuttle to many tourist spot in every 1 hour. Comfortable beds, good service and facilities, they have small casino which is available for 24x7. Location is not the best as you need to take free shuttle or taxi for everywhere. I will prefer this hotel for my next visit as well.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TraveKings
Reviewed 13 October 2013

I read good reviews on Agoda so booked a 1-night stay at the very low rate of $86. Casino hotels this weekend are $400+. From the minute you walk in the Royal is about class, sophistication, service and value. The room impeccable, so clean and loaded with every convenience. White marlble bathroom, comfy beds, even power adaptors in place for you. Then you wander outside into the narrow streets and the old world charm of Portugal surrounds you, and yet you are a short 10 minute walk from the grand city hotels and casinos of Macau. Front desk staff very friendly, and door men helping you. The place smells like flowers when you arrive. Can't say enough good things about the Royal. You will love it! And save your money for the tables of Macau.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank tbro421
Reviewed 4 October 2013

We stayed here for one night, as part of holiday trip coming by Ferry from Hong Kong and departing next day by train from Zhuhai to Guangzhou.

After arrival at the Ferry terminal, you can take the underpass to the other side of the street. At the other side, turn to the far left side (direction when back to the terminal side). At the far end is the car/bus parking place where every half hour the hotel shuttle bus stops for picking up hotel guests.

Room was average spaced; Toilet room enough space with combined shower/bathtub; all toilet amenities available. The beds were good sleeping good quality; for me OK. The TV was LCD, can’t remember which channels and or movie programs (stayed one night and stayed out until deep in the night); The internet was LAN on the room (can’t remember if WLAN also); WLAN in the lobby. Our booking was excluding the Breakfast: instead we took it outside, where there are enough possibilities around, close to the hotel.

Staff in lobby was friendly; also in helping out for itineraries.

One small minor point: the hotel seems not to be located at the traveling-routes for Taxi’s. Waiting for a taxi at the front of the hotel takes long time; be prepared for this waiting time.

I will certainly stay here next time again.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank globetravelerNL
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed here only for a night and spent most of our time exploring Macau so we only stayed in this hotel to sleep.

The Room: We were given Room 1322, which was a pleasant surprise since it’s comfortable and quite spacious (I was expecting something small based on my experience with Hong Kong’s Dorsett Far East in 2010). The downside was that it had no view.

The bathroom came with a bathtub. It too was spacious and clean.

The Service: Though I had difficulty understanding the local staff’s English, they were smiling. They did have Filipino staff though that were very accommodating and spoke fluent English. One concierge in particular, Mark, was very helpful. He was the one who helped us with our itinerary and recommended A Lorcha, the restaurant where we had our best meal in Macau.

What I did not Like: The small lobby, which was always crowded and noisy since it's the only area with free Wi-Fi. I also found it weird that their lobby restrooms were kept locked, accessible only through guests’ key cards. This was actually not an issue until we checked out and had to use the restroom again and had to wait for a hotel staff to open the door for us, which was really inconvenient. The same lobby restrooms were also not well-kept. For the 2 days that we were there, there were always stalls with toilets that were not flushed. Though obviously some hotel guests were to blame for their lack of toilet etiquette, the hotel must do better to clean up after such guests.

My recommendation: All in all, I found Royal Hotel Macau a good hotel, but not as luxurious as its website claims. Book this hotel if you want to be just walking distance to and from Guia Fortress, Ruins of St. Paul’s and Senado Square, but if you prefer to be where the action is, find a hotel along Cotai Strip where new and truly luxurious hotels and resorts are based.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends