“Outstanding service and F&B”

Grand Coloane Resort Macau
Ranked #29 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I have just arrived home from a long weekend break with my family. Whilst the hotel is old they are aware of it and it is in the process of renovation. With that said the warmth of the staff at the hotel outshines any cosmetic issues. Our experience started at the ferry as we were greeted by Christian who kept us entertained for the 15 minutes we had to wait for the hotel bus. 30 minutes later we arrived at the resort. The rooms have large balconies which I understand are due to be improved with canopies, loungers and personal BBQ's. In the evening we had the pleasure of meeting Asif Bajwa, Director, F&B. He was greeting every table and listening to good and bad comments with such positivity. He also introduced us to the new Tapas menu he had started on the 3rd floor Porto Bar. We decided to try this on the last night and were very surprised. The staff were in the process of bringing out new updated furniture which is modern and comfortable. The tapas was excellent and the service impeccable thanks to Bruno, the manager and Jake who served our every need. Our kids don't really like tapas but the bar smartly offers the Lobby lounge burger menu which has 20 varieties of burger. If they add some light lounge music, candles on tables and a bit more foliage it will be a perfect place to unwind to the sound and breeze of the ocean. We mentioned to Asif that it would be nice to have a few Indian options on the breakfast buffet as their Indian food was excellent on our first night at the hotel. With comment on board he immediately offered to arrange a personal Indian breakfast at our table the next morning. True to word the staff informed us as soon as we arrived that it had been arranged and within 10 minutes Asif arrived at our table with Dahl, Saag Paneer and fresh roti. All excellent!!
Our only disappointment was when we ventured out one night to a famous Portuguese restaurant and ended up waiting over an hour for a table, drinking mediocre Sangria (Westin poolside Sangria is much better) and finally being told the one thing I wanted from the menu was not available. It was also very overpriced, so our advice would be to stay in the hotel as they have everything you need and more, all at very reasonable prices.
Other facilities we utilized were the mountain bikes, indoor and outdoor pool, and the spa which offers additional 30 minutes when you book a one hour massage.
Loved everything about the Westin Macau, will definitely return.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Westin M, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

Dear 942LianeD,

What a huge compliment you have given us!

I am so happy that you trip with your family trip was a comfortable one. Thank you for letting everyone know.

I am particularly pleased with your observations about our associates. It is wonderful that you can tell how much everyone enjoys making our guests feel special and cared. I think Christian, Asif, Bruno and Jake are terrific and I am so glad you had pleasant interactions with them.

The fact that you will DEFINITELY return is a huge acknowledgement to us and we are honored. Thank you again and we look forward to your return to The Westin Resort Macau.

Live Well.

Reviewed 8 October 2013

The facilities, accommodation were fantastic & the staff could n have been more helpful. Family friendly, The Westin is an oasis in busy Asia. The Westin is a short drive to Macau city & is blissfully quiet. We visited Singapore & Hong Kong as well as Macau on this trip, & Macau was the winner!

Room Tip: All the rooms had great views, despite the type. We stayed on the top floor, so very quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Dear Kav1956,

Thank you for staying at The Westin Resort Macau and sharing your review with us.

We are delighted to learn that you had an enjoyable stay and were impressed with our helpful associates and tranquil environment.

Thank you once again for your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Stay Well.

Reviewed 6 October 2013

I stayed overnight with my son who was visiting ; as I live in Hong Kong. We came to see the House of Dancing Water and wanted somewhere calm and peaceful to stay; somewhere away form the noise of "golden week" and the casinos. Westin resort was just perfect. Although the hotel is a little tired and in need of a makeover, it is clean and spacious. Asif Bajwa, the Director of F&B, was a stand out as he made time to speak to us and make sure all was well. We wish we had been there for the Indian Curry Buffet, but alas it was not on that particular night. I certainly recommend staying here with an Ocean view room of course!

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Westin M, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

Dear Leonie,

I am pleased to learn that we have become your hotel of choice in this area. It is truly encouraging to read your comment.

We appreciate your recognition and complimentary comment to Mr. Asif Bajwa who had participated in making your stay a memorable experience. It’s indeed an ideal choice to revitalize and quietly recharge at The Westin Resort Macau. Only 5 minutes away from those dazzling casino complex, you won’t miss a chance to embrace the exciting Macau.

You’re definitely welcome to come back any Thursday and enjoy our Indian Tandoori Buffet. Please do bring your friends and family to enjoy Buy 3 Get 1 Free or free flow of drinks.

I believe you have already read about our guest room renovation project, please stay tuned for our updates. We hope you will witness our improvements firsthand and experience a refreshing stay.

Trust that we will see you again in the very near future.

Stay energized.

Reviewed 4 October 2013

This times we stayed at westin resort with golf course 18 holes
The rooms a bit old but very good condition and pretty big
The bteakfast is very good i love it
Chinese restaurant on the 3rd floor also very nice
The swimming pool is huge with nice garden, gym, sauna
9th floor is to the golf course
The only problem is some of the taxi dont want to take us from taipa area back to the hotel even some charge grazy price, make sure the taxi willing to use the argo meter and give hkd 5 for the surcharge
There is a shuttle bus from the hotel to venetian hotel, make sure to prebook early, but for the return from city dream hotels to westin is always full, so take the taxi
No casino in the hotel, this is the best part for me and my children

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Westin M, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded 6 October 2013

Dear Antonthedy,

We are thankful to hear how much you enjoyed the hotel facilities and restaurants. Truly appreciate you took the time to share your experience.

The changes you’ve all been waiting for are here. Our guest rooms are undergoing a renewal program starting this month. We are delighted in unveiling a completely refreshed look in December 2013.

The true effortless Westin Living Experience awaits you.

Be rejuvenated.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Westin for a romantic weekend and we made the right choice. The resort is not located in the center of Macau around 20 min from the city center but the location is really nice. We had a spacious room with ocean view, and as it is very quiet, the only sound we heard from our individual 15 SM terrace was the sound of the waves hitting the sand beach.

The quality of the food and service was very good in all the restaurant the hotel offers. The rooms were clean and tidy. In general the quality of the hotel is very good and we heard that they will start next month some major refurbishment so they are really keeping the hotel at a high standard.

Working in the hotel industry myself, it has been a very long time since I have seen a Food & Beverge director working on the floor to help his staff for the breakfast service. Therefore I would like to congragulate and thanks Mr. Asif Bajwa for making us feel special and for once we felt like we were realy taken care of. We would also thank Kevin from room service who helps us after a little hectic room service order.

To sum up we warmly recommand the Westin resort if you want to have a nice and relaxing retreat in Macau. The only suggestion we could have is to offer a bit more produts in the bathroom such as : sanitary set (which they forgot on the first night), no bath soap, no bath loofer, no hairbrush, no shaving kit etc. Besides that, everything was up to standard for a 5 star hotel.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Richard,

Thank you for choosing The Westin Resort Macau. We are delighted to read about your insights and your encouraging words of praise which have been conveyed to the team respectively.

We are proud that our empathetic, personalized and distinctive service extended by Mr. Asif Bajwa exceeded your expectation. Trust your feedback will inspire others to venture into a trip to Macau and The Westin Resort Macau.

We hope you left us feeling better than when you arrived and would look forward to welcome you back for another uplifting experience with us.

For a better you.

Reviewed 3 October 2013

We've been staying at the Westin for most of its life. I have a feeling that the carpets are the same ones that we first set foot on! Yes, it's urgently in need of sprucing up, the paintwork is scratched, the carpets are grubby BUT..... there's a comfortable calm about the Westin that makes it still our choice over the slick shiny plastic temples to Mammon on the Cotai Strip.Yes, I had to phone at three in the afternoon to ask for the room to be made up, bell boys don't leap out to carry your bags but somehow it feels so real. We went this time with two grandchildren, four and six years old. They loved the pool, they loved the kids' club, the loved the buffet breakfast. And here's something you won't find in the twinkling towers on the Cotai Strip.... an F&B manager who is so hands on that he clears plates and tries to make contact with every guest. Asif listened, assured us of the hotel's up coming refurbishment and did everything he could to make us feel welcome. The buffet quality has gone up tremendously since he started by the way;.

Of course we'll come back, as we always do. We go to Macau for calm (yes, we like some of the shows too). Don't rely on taxis; hire a car! But beware, the Macanese Government is in the habit of closing roads and not removing the signs which previously directed you to the Westin!

So... don't look for perfection but just enjoy the old fashioned laid back atmosphere.

Room Tip: Try for Ocean View
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank ustaza

Dear Ustaza,

Thank you very much for your loyalty and for sharing your insights with your friends here. We are glad to hear that the little ones loved our food and kids facilities and that you noticed the improvements made by Mr. Asif Bajwa.

At the same time, we would like to apologize for the shortfalls you encountered. We will definitely be reminding all our associates about using more initiative when it comes to service delivery.

Our Hotel is undergoing a guest rooms renewal program commencing this month and all rooms will be refurnished with brand new carpets and wallpapers, Armoires and 40” LED smart TV’s by December 2013.

Please do come back and explore the new features of our renovated guestrooms where you can discover a pure relaxed, comfortable and revitalizing stay here at The Westin Resort Macau.

Live Well.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

The Westin Macau…… I am not sure where to start on my journey of describing my dissapointment with my stay at this property. Problems in order following detailed description:
-Keys did not work three times
-Front desk forgot wake-up call
-Left by bus at Hong Kong Station after notifying the front desk I would be a couple of minutes late
-Interior and Exterior outdated and ran down
-15% Service charge for EVERYTHING including purchasing Ferry tickets from front desk
-Charge for internet
-Television is still in "tube" format

Upon my arrival, I was greeted by Gi Gi who was kind enough to allow me to check in 2.5 hours early. Upon arriving to my room, my key did not allow me access. The bellman went back downstairs to retrieve a new set of cards to only find that set did not allow us access as well. We ended up changing rooms to another room where the doors lock actually worked. Upon entering my room, I noticed very quickly that the paint on the door was dirty with age, carpet was not clean, and the overall feel of the room was old and outdated. Later I was informed by the staff that the rooms had not been renovated in 20 years hence the reasoning for the "tube-style" old fashioned television that resembled a strobe light when it was turned on. I had inquired about purchasing tickets at the front desk for a trip to Hong Kong and they were going to charge me a service fee of 15% both ways for myself and my partner. I felt this was quite outrageous considering this was my last leg of my trip and all of the other 5 start hotels I stayed in provided this service for free. Later that evening I had requested a wake-up call for 6:30a.m. and this did not occur. Luckily I had set my phone to awake me. After a wonderful day in Hong Kong, we got a little turned around and was not able to board our boat until 10:30p.m. which was going to put us back in Macau at 11:30p.m., the last shuttle was scheduled to leave this terminal at 11:30. I called the front desk before leaving Hong Kong and let the operator know to have the bus driver wait for my party for a couple of minutes and she acknowledged. After debarking the boat and running to the bus stop, at approximately 11:32p.m. the Westin shuttle was not to be found. Every other hotel was bus was there but not the Westin. I called the front desk and asked them to have the bus driver return to pick us up and was told that it left promptly at 11:30p.m.. We were forced to take a taxi. Upon arriving back to the hotel I asked the front desk to provide me the email addresses of the General Manager, District Manager, and Regional Manager as I wanted to inform them up my unpleasant stay at the hotel and I wanted this by 8:00a.m. After arriving to my room the key did not work again and I had to return to the front desk and was told that it was my fault due to the key being next to my cell phone. I informed the lady at the front desk that was not the case and they had issues with their keys from the start. Needless to say by 9:00 a.m. I still had not received the information I had requested. I went to the front desk and asked for the information and was denied this information and told that they could only provide me with the General Manager's information. Gi Gi, who checked me in was kind enough to come out and talk to me about my experience which just kept getting worse. From wrong orders poolside, to overpriced cans of soda water at $5.00 USD per can…… Let's put it this way, I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. I believe this Westin was rated 4.5 stars on Hotels.com. I would give it no more than 2.5 or 3. Stay at the Venetian or the Galaxy. This Westin is outdated both externally and internally, overpriced food and drinks, and they could clearly care less about their guests and are too consumed with outrageous service charges to meet their bottom line.

Room Tip: Stay at the Venetian or the Galaxy. Ocean view not worth it....
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John O
Westin M, General Manager at Grand Coloane Resort Macau, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2013

Dear John,

Please allow me this opportunity to apologize for the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. Your willingness to share your thoughts is appreciated.

We are committed to providing our guests with the highest quality services and facilities. We sincerely regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. Your comments are important to the success of our hotel, as we rely on you, our guest, to tell us how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We have noted your comments regarding the malfunctioning of the room lock and we apologize for the disappointing experience. Shortly afterwards, our engineer managed to identify the issue and have the lock fixed.

We have to agree with you that our property does deserve an overhaul. The good news is that our guest room renewal program is going to commence this month. All rooms will be refurnished with brand new carpets, Armoires and 40" LED smart TV's in two months time.

Regarding the 10% service charge and 5% tourism tax, we regret to inform you that tourism tax is imposed by government at the rate of 5% on the bill of the services rendered in Macau by establishments such as hotels, guest houses, restaurants, etc. 10% service charge is applied for any ticketing service handled by Hotel. However, in case you are not aware of it, you may book the ferry tickets directly online as well.

Please accept our sincere apology for missing out your morning call due to carelessness of our associate. That is not the usual service our guests are accustomed to and I find it unacceptable. We shall also look into areas of concern with further training and strive to improve the service level of our associates.

Further to your comment of our shuttle bus, we are deeply sorry that you were not able to catch it on time. Our Duty Manager did tried to contact the bus driver right after you called us. However, our driver was already halfway to Hotel and he wouldn't be able to drive the last shuttle from Hotel to Ferry Terminal at 12 mid-night if he went back to pick you up. Your understanding is most appreciated.

Last but not least, I was concerned to hear of your disappointment with our F&B. We do get a lot of positive comments on food quality and service. We do believe that our pricing is quite competitive amongst hotels in Macau. However, I have advised our Director of Food and Beverage to follow up on the issue. Rest assured we continuously perform price comparison with other hotels to make sure that we stay competitive.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to reconnect with you. Please feel free to contact me at executiveoffice.macau@westin.com should you wish to discuss further.

Stay Well.