“Fine, but quirky”

Ranked #73 of 95 Hotels in Macau
London, United Kingdom
“Fine, but quirky”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

Some other reviewers have posted some fairly negative comments here which I would like to address in some way. I only stayed one night but was very happy with my stay. The room was very nice indeed. The service was friendly, but certainly lacked the slickness of hotels in Hong Kong, Taipei or elsewhere. This is a small hotel in a converted historic fortress. It does not offer the fast, seamless customer experience that you would expect from a major international chain,it then, it isn't part of one. It is located in one of the most remote places in Macau. Macau is small and transport options are plentiful but it does mean that you cannot just order up a taxi at a moment's notice. Macau taxi drivers are a bit of a law unto themselves. We had a couple of bad experiences with them in just over 24 hours, and I think the Pousada staff are well aware that if they call a taxi for you there is no guarantee it will actually show up. A lot of taxi drivers seem interested only in brief journeys between the big casinos and will not be bothered coming out to the Pousada in response to a call. Having said that, we had no problem getting around as wee had no kids in tow and are fully mobile - we got a bus and we hailed taxis in the street. If that does not sound like the way you like to travel this is possibly not the place for you.

Basically this is a charming and unique place with staff who are keen but a little flaky at times, and who have varying commands of English. If you like staying in historic buildings, want to be away from the gaudy side of Macau and are comfortable with a Portuguese mood, feel and pace (we are), this is a lovely place. If not, there are plenty of other options in Macau.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Alastair M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 31 May 2013

I was very excited to stay in this special place for a night: an old historical building and a "relais et chateaux" hotel. The location is good too - a bit out of the way and you can easily walk to some nice world heritage sites in the south of Macao.
We were impressed when we entered the old stone tunnel entrance too but unfortunately it was sometimes disappointing after that.

The high price of a night's stay at the hotel is not matched by a high level of service. For example,
- nobody greeted us at the bottom of the hotel and offered to carry the bags up the stairs,
- there are no towels at the pool,
- or anybody at the pool to ask for them.
- Be careful if you want to get a taxi into town: the staff would rather you took the bus than they spend time trying to order one. We ended up finding one ourselves just in front of the hotel...

In general the place does not look well maintained in the common areas.
The rooms are very big, well renovated and comfortable but it was noisy: there are works outside (not their fault) but the windows are not good quality amd let in the noise. The next day, it was raining heavily (also not their fault!) but the water from the gutter was falling on our balcony, making it impossible to sleep.

This place would have been half the price I would have put a good rating but at this price you expect a very good experience and they dont offer that.
I didn't put a worse rating because I value small hotels with some character like this one and there are not many of them in Macau amongst all the casino chain hotels.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank voyagistablog
Hong Kong
Reviewed 19 May 2013

This is by far the most expensive hotel I've every stayed at. I chose it as I wanted to be away from the casinos and crowds and noises etc., and it did. It is located in a very quiet & pleasant neighborhood. Although far from downtown, a bus stop is right outside and a bus terminal is only 5 minutes away by foot. A-Ma Temple and Macau Tower are also nearby.

I stayed for 3 nights and was upgraded to harbor view room. It is actually a suite with large living room, bedroom and bathroom, all nicely decorated and well equipped. Drinks from mini bar are free as long as you leave the cans in the room, they also provide a full plate of fruits, and some snacks every day which I am impressed. Most things in the rooms are great, bed is extremely comfortable, so is the shower. There is even a small TV screen on the mirror at bathroom sink. At the moment there is a construction place nearby, it gets noisy when you open the door to balcony.

Now comes the issues I encountered. The most disappointing one was that my laptop could not connect to hotel's Wi-Fi (both of my iPhone and iPad could), but when I called front desk asking about it, they told me they had been aware of the situation but there was nothing they could do. They didn't even send an IT staff up to check. There was no LAN so I basically brought my laptop to do nothing. This should never happen to a 5-star luxurious hotel, never.

Other less significant issues: one of the nozzles in the Jacuzzi kept falling off whenever I turned it on, and the Jacuzzi didn't work very well. As others mentioned, it took quite a while to fill the bathtub. One spot at the balcony ceiling kept leaking water when raining (apparently it's not a new problem as I saw weeds in the corner...). There wasn't enough socket either.

They have a pool but I didn't get to try since it kept raining during my stay. There is also a small church, no gym facilities though. There is no breakfast buffet but the breakfast sets are very nice. Staffs are friendly and polite.

Overall it is a fairly pleasant stay, but there are flaws I would not expect or could not ignore for such price. With more and more international hotels establishing in Macau, I may try another one next time.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank Lleyton_Li
Reviewed 10 January 2013

Great stay. It's good to go during the week and try to get an upgrade to a harbour view (see agoda). We were surprised that the shower doubles as a private sauna. One of it's greatest assets is that the staff do not suffocate you, but not everyone appreciates this. If you want immediate service, go and stay in a Casino. If you want service within a reasonable time, it's great, friendly and responsive.

On both nights we enjoyed a few cocktails at the Bar. Brilliant atmosphere but slightly slow. The breakfasts were also quite nice and decent coffee a welcome start to the day.

There appears to be a planned extension to this sleepy hotel. If this proceeds, the atmosphere and intimacy of the hotel will be destroyed. So go now, whilst it's still great.

Room Tip: Try to get one of the free upgrades that are common during the week - ours was amazing.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Sam C
Munich, Germany
Reviewed 21 November 2012

Stayed for 2 nights in July 2011, a very romantic and beautiful hotel situated in a very old Portuguese house. Liked the spa bath, Hermes cosmetics and room decor. Definitely recommended for romantic get-aways. The staff was nice, maybe a tad slow.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olga K
Melbourne
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Poitives: Gorgeous rooms - large bedroom, bathroom (spa bath plus seperate shower with amazing shower head!), lounge room and second bathroom! Cable tv and wifi. Breakfast was absolutely delicious - highly recommend!

Negatives: air con smelled a little of cigarette smoke (probably ok to some people - but I need fresh air). Staff were nice but not overly friendly or helpful. it's not really close to any sightseeing destinations or tourist attractions. Had to take a taxi to get to ruins of st Paul's or casino district.
Staff told me they couldnt call us a taxi to go to st Paul's ruins (apparently they said there was a really big taxi prob in Macau and suggested us to take the bus, which we couldn't work out with the language barrier) but we were lucky to flag down a taxi on our own and we found no problems with macao's taxi service - cheap and quick. We were meant to have free hotel transport to and from the airport in our rate however this is only between 11 and 5 - and as we had a 10 am flight we weren't provided the transfer :( they did however call us a taxi that time... Which was there within 5 minutes!!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank katefrommelbourne
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 16 July 2012

Flew into Macao mid-morning and was greeted by the hotel limousine, as arranged. Upon our arrival, the manager and his staff were helpful, friendly and courteous. Lunch was booked and we were escorted to our suite . . . two nights of relative luxury . . .

This hotel is far from the madding crowd, as it were, and not spoiled by all those hoards of noisy and smoking types . . . it was a little piece of heaven . . . solitude personified . . . relaxing and private . . . for our weekend . . .

The suite was well appointed, without the ubiquitous gold bathroom fitments that seem to adorn every so-called five star establishment, spacious and comfortable. To spend a weekend in one place . . . the suite . . . was not an issue . . . room service and entertainment facilities were all conducive to 'staying-put' . . . and that is exactly what we did . . . to our sheer indulgence!

The food was thoughtfully presented, timely and tasteful . . . with an extensive wine list . . . the staff were discrete and attentive at the same time . . .

This is a charming hotel . . . with wonderful suites . . . perfect for a romantic get-away . . .

But don't take my word for it . . . NIKE!

Room Tip: . . . pre-book the limo!
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank glhinhk
Also consider these accommodations in or near Macau
Pousada de Coloane Beach Hotel & Restaurant
#41 of 95 in Macau
StarWorld Macau
StarWorld Macau
#47 of 95 in Macau

Been to Pousada De Sao Tiago? Share your experiences!