“Not a pleasant experience”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Beijing Wangfu Hotel
Ranked #88 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 25 June 2013

I went to Macau for a conference and the organizer put us in New Century Hotel. But even though I don't need to pay for my room, this is not a hotel I'll recommend to you. Its location is OK -- 10 minutes' walk and you'll get to the busiest part of Taipa. Otherwise, unless you need to visit the university, I can't see any reason why you would find it convenient. You can find taxis but during the busy hours you'll have to wait. The room is spacious but facilities are minimal. Cleaniness is barely acceptable. And you won't find a real non-smoking room. Air quality is pretty bad. In terms of service, quite honestly I don't think the hotel is in full operation (even the lifts are not functioning well). It's primarily a hotel for low-end package Mainland tourists. When I checked-in, the person at the counter found it a surprise and he simply didn't know what to do.

Room Tip: Facing the sea seems to be a better choice
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Bally1966

Reviewed 20 March 2013

My mom and I booked this hotel thinking it was a 5-star. We paid 690 rmb (about 100 usd) for one night, an acceptable price for a 5-star. however, when we arrived we knew immediately it wasn't going to be a good night. the service was horrendous. the lobby smelled like a dirty wet rag and all the elevators but 2 were in service. the front desk was always empty and we had needed to shout for someone to come to the front desk. when the employee arrived, she had an extremely rude attitude as if we had inconvenienced her in some way. furthermore, the room was terrible. we killed 6 cockroaches that night, one even jumping onto our bed at night. the sheets were ratty and looked highly doubtful, both my mom and i elected to sleep in our clothes. this is not a 5-star hotel. they are cheating everyone who comes here.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I was surprised to read the negative reviews in TripAdvisors with regards to this hotel. My family and I (2 adults and 2 kids) stayed in this hotel for 2 nites (Dec31 2012 - Jan2,2013). To be very frank the experience was not too bad!! We went to Hong Kong for a week-stay and decided to go to Macao at the last minute. A travel agent helped to book this hotel for us as it was quite difficult to get a room at reasonable rate at the festive season. We were quite happy as we were still able to get a double room. We noticed that the staffs at the front desk were not so friendly and quite rude. There were many male staffs with nice uniforms standing like security around the hotel but they were not friendly at all. When we asked for direction, they were not willing to assist. The atrium is huge, with nice Greek statues decorations and wall paitings. We liked the water fountain at the front entrance. It was nice. We were glad that the room was spacious, the interior was quite worn out, but that was ok for us, most important the beds were comfortable, the room was clean and no smell. There are many restaurants around and a few convenience stores at walking distance outside the hotel. So we were quite happy with that. It was difficult to get taxis from this hotel. But the hotel shuttle bus is leaving to and fro from the hotel to ferry every hour. So in summary, the hotel offered very basic service. It was not too bad, but of course with the same room rate, we would prefer to stay in some other hotels since Macao has had so much to offer.

Room Tip: We have no comments.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 March 2013

If you do not have any aesthetic taste, there will be lot of other reasons not to stay there.
What is strange, hotel is recommended in governmenal broshure - my choice was defined by that fact. Later i have found that recommendation was made due to sustainable ecological policy. As far is i saw, that policy should be mainly consisting from poor cleaniness. Bed, towels and even curtains were grey, and the former was not changed during my stay.
I have booked smoking room, and on arrival there was impression that twenty med smoked there twenty hours before. Of course not, but with closed windows and with no cleaning and change, all things have got unimaginable smell. When you sleep on their pillow it is like to sleep in ashtray, i used my inflatable pillow instead. I was happy that i've booked one night only
And all this is for 3/4 price of very good macanese hotels

Room Tip: Corner overlooking city center
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2012

It is difficult to describe just how awful this hotel is. Unlike many bad hotels that look nice on the outside but have hidden problems you might notice later, here the problems are huge and so obvious. The management could easily improve things but they just don't care.

There were hundreds of mainland Chinese people staying here because of the casino and maybe they have never been on holiday before or just dont care about accommodation, just want to gamble.

We only stayed there because we missed our connecting flight and the airport agent "recommended" this one and booked for us. I assume her commission was 99% because this hotel was worth less than 1% the price we paid. If it was not late at night, we would have moved to a different hotel.

I have seen small guesthouses with more staff and this was a huge hotel with many floors, I dont know where the staff are. We had to wait long time to check in, nobody helped with bags or help us to find room, no staff speak English.

The room was not clean, very stinky. Furniture was falling apart. Electric wiring was not safe... I could not even charge my phone because I was scared to touch electric socket which was not in the wall. The internet did not work. The television did not work. The curtains did not work.

When I think about this experience, it is very upsetting. Do not go to this hotel.

SPECIAL NOTE: if the tourism / hotel authorities of Macau are reading this review, I strongly recommend you inspect this hotel (and the agents in the airport who recommend it) immediately. This hotel is an embarassment to your country and makes me never want to visit Macau because I am so upset by the experience in this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lee T
Reviewed 6 August 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my parents. And we dared only one night. Actually, we were taken in by an agent to book this hotel. I was actually aware of all the cautioning reviews here BUT didn't expect it to be this pathetic.

We went there around 1300 but We were not allowed to even do the registration until 1400 when all the waiting guests swarm to reception for check-in.

Staff barely spoke English, I am sure anyone who have even only been to primary school would speak better English. Staff are loud and blunt while they literally through the words out like - "WHAT" , "NO" , "CANNOT" etc..... I bet if u can hear words like - SORRY, PARDON, PLEASE ever ever through out ur stay. So, after doing the registration receptionist just rudely pointed us to cashier....actually they were looking for deposit....I understand that hotels need deposit for incidental charges but we didn't want to use anything incidental so I asked them not to take
Deposit from my credit card as it takes a lot of time to reedem. And they called their duty manager - ALAN HUANG. And thats where the the actual ordeal and terror began.
First he didn't come out but just asked me to talk to him on phone.....making me feel like He & his hotel is doing a favour to me . Then after 10-15 mins he came out. His English was pathetic. I explained him my problem BUT BUT this man didn't or wasn't ready to understand a bit and went on saying WE WANT DEPOSIT OTHERWISE NO ROOM. How the hell he can't give me room when I have
Paid for it. BUT NO, WHAT SO EVER. He was so damn rude, arrogant, cold, loud, threatening that I felt like horrified talking to him. He even banged the reception while talking. I asked for general manager or Front office manager and he said today, it all him and only him. He was acting as a DICTATOR IN HIS OWN WORLD. NO CONCERNS ABOUT GUEST AT ALL. I told him to lock out minibar and international call BUT HE WOULDNT. He was even ready to almost put a physical fight.aaaaaaaa holy crap. I felt like a prisoner. So finally, I gave away the cash, the only much I had in Macau dollars. I warn you NOT TO LOOK FOR AM - ALAN. I swear you will regret it dearly.
After taking keys we went to room - Cold smoking smell, workout furniture, moldy washroom, broken washroom facilities - water leaking from toilet bowl. No proper replenishment of room amenities, no tea-coffe facilities, need to call 5 times and wait 20 mins to ask anything from service. It was not less than a hell. So, I strongly reccomend you to STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOTEL. Go anywhere but not here......wanted to write more but.....

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank hshk
Reviewed 5 August 2012

I'm told that this hotel used to have a good reputation, but it has gone severely downhill.

The room we had was large, but the carpets had awful stains and the bathroom had been shoddily cleaned, at best. The tissue paper dispenser in the bathroom fell out as soon as I tugged on it. The bed was a little bit hard, and the sheets had the smell of smoke. I spent the night tossing and turning uncomfortably, and was happy to get out as soon as I could in the morning.

Unless the management decides to improve this hotel, do not stay here!!!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends