“Cheap but poor”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Beijing Wangfu Hotel
Ranked #88 of 94 Hotels in Macau
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

It's one of the cheapest hotels in Macau but the condition is not so good as well. There's no Wifi in the room. It's just near the University of Macau so many parents may choose to live here if they come to visit. Recently a new owner bought it and changed its name, but I guess there is no big change inside.

Stayed: May 2013
There are newer reviews for Beijing Wangfu Hotel

Reviewed 18 February 2014

The room is big and nice, with all basic equipments. Refer to the attached photos.
No complimentary water or tea in the room.

-They said they have free shuttle to/from jetty but actually they don't have.
-No wifi.
-No restaurant or public transport nearby.
-You have to take taxi and eat in their restaurant or call for room service.
-Casino is old.
-No complimentary breakfast.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 January 2014

And I thought I've stayed in a few bad hotels in China and Indonesia. None of those come close to the New Century Hotel in Macau. For starters the room looks old with mould and mildew on the walls. The carpets in the room look rotten with all sorts of stains on them. The room stank of tobacco, the bathroom was rotten too, my wife refused to use the shower. I cannot judge the restaurant as we decided to eat our dinner and breakfast at the McDonalds down the road. Fortunately we only stayed one night.
I like the ancient Greek theme, especially the painted mural behind the check in counter showing ancient Greeks relaxing and playing music - except the musical instruments depicted in the scene weren't invented till about 2000 years later - modern era guitar and violins - why didn't the "artist" paint in wrist watches in the scene as well - LOL!!!
Please avoid this "hotel" at all costs. It's a disgrace.

Room Tip: No good rooms at this hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Rob E
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We were a party of eight who had been staying at a hotel nearby as part of a tour. Wanting to stay an extra night in Macau we found our original hotel was booked out so we had to move to what our agent assured us was a star-equivalent but in fact turned out to be an apparently early 1980's-created hawker's-market toilet.
In what appears to be a widespread method of infrastructure-creation, once the place was built it would seem absolutely no maintenance has been directed at anything other than a cursory and failing attempt at retaining a tacky, Macauian(?), gambling gloss.
Examples:
*No folder in the room to advise of hotel services because..... there are no hotel services.
*No cups, no tea/coffee.
*No breakfast included.
*Only one working lift out of six+.
*Mould over every bathroom surface.
*Rusted taps and blocked drains.
*Dust so thick behind the (circ.1981) TV you could hardly identify the switch. Same under the bed.
*A toilet-bowl pedestal with ancient urine stains dribbling down around the outside.
*Surly dis-interested staff who, when asked when and where the hotel shuttle-bus (of which there were three parked outside) departed from and went to, stated "...not available. No shuttle-bus. Must take town bus. From street..."
Luckily, our previous hotel was only too happy to allow us to continue to use theirs. Significant because both were on the island of Taipa and not strictly what we were lead to believe was central Macau.
Adding insult to injury was the fact that we subsequently stayed in a hotel in Hong Kong so much better in all respects as to be beyond comparison. And for less than the $SGD130 per person we had handed over to the New Century.
Were there any pluses? Potentially....
*The beds were comfortable.
*Sheets and pillows appeared clean.
*Some reasonable views from the right rooms.
*Macau International Airport close by. The Ferry Terminal is more problematic.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Michael_SinganBeyond
Reviewed 23 August 2013

I also took pictures and they are exactly the same as seen in previous reviews , so once might be unfortunate , but twice is certainly no coincidence. Thank goodness we were only booked in here for one night on part of a tour, which was advertised as 5*star by our tour ; which I had no reason to doubt as the hotel was very good in HK ; and that was only 4*star.
Even 20-30 years ago, this place would have struggled to gain 5*stars and I can imagine that nothing has changed or been painted or renewed since . There is a terrible stench of very stale smoke everywhere , even in no-smoking rooms and lifts and all corridors. The lighting is very dim and seedy , probably to hide the dirt and filth. On opening the bedroom door, immediately your eyes are drawn to the duvet on the bed. It has more lumps than a very bad porridge- how, why??
The carpets are stained and filthy and worn , there is hair on the sofa and next to the bed. The kettle in room[if it works] is 20 years old , but there is no complimentary water or tea/coffee in this 5*star hotel and not even a cup to put your boiled water in ; just a very thin glass which will crack .
There are of course tiny bugs and little roaches for your company and the glass doors in the bathroom are held together with tape and the mastic seal around the bath is a disgrace. You will fear for what diseases you might catch staying here.
So , off to complain and the reception staff seem very used to being approached by the standards of the hotel which their customers are suffering ; but they don't give a flying [--]. When we demand the managers presence , he arrives very slowly and insists his hotel is 5*star and our grounds for complaining don't really cut any ice with him . It is even our fault maybe, as we are booked in on a tour package and might have got a better room in a private booking???[paying more obviously] . I pointed out to him how there is a certain standard in a 5*star hotel and no matter how we are booked into his hotel or how much we pay ; minimum standards of service and comfort and cleanliness are expected .
Our rooms were changed , but there was no difference at all . This hotel manager doesn't care and I told him how I have stayed in 1and2* hotels elsewhere in the world which were far superior. He will stand by his 5*star rating ,awarded by the Macau tourist board/government standards ; which obviously is only aimed at the roaches .
THIS IS A DIGUSTING , FILTHY ,DISGRACEFUL HOTEL YOU WILL REGRET EVER STAYING IN ; SO DON'T GO THERE .

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2013

This is probably the first time I am writing a negative review and would do so when the hotel fails to meet even the minimum expectations as I usually am very patient and would accept the services even if one of the few is good.

But for this hotel, I was completely disappointed. I booked this trough a travel agent for a 1 night stay during my trip to Hong Kong and Macau and stayed there with my family (wife and two kids 7 and 3).

Right from the entrance, I could see that this probably was one of the most inhospitable places. The outside/ entrance of the hotel is adorned with some fake sculpture. But that definitely doesn't matter because for me it is the services and th attitude of the staff that really counts. So please read ahead

Checked in at the reception and came across with one of the most unhappy person in the world. No greetings absolutely and the lady at the desk had a discriminating look on her face. She immediately demanded a deposit and when I asked, what it was for, she mentioned that this was for the mini bar. And later to my surprise and as I had expected, the mini bar in the room was completely empty. What really surprised me later was that not just the receptionist was hostile, every single staff in the hotel had the same cold attitude. No greetings, no smiles.

In terms of the facilities itself, the room was unclean, several fixtures in the room and bathroom were broken, the water blocked itself both in the bathtub and the wash basin, no basic drinking water bottles, and not to mention the unclean and torn towels, torn sandals.

A basic facility which one might expect even in the shabbiest of the hotels is WiFi which when I checked, I was told that came at a premium (ransom) I heard 150 dollors (what!!!!!!!)

Exactly at 12 the next morning, our room was knocked by the cleaner to be told that we have to check out. Yes please we do remember when to check out and you have listed exorbitant charges to stay past the time, so we do keep this in mind.

All in all, please do not waste your time and money on this extremely poor hotel. They simply do not want to pay any attention to the facilities let alone show a positive attitude towards the guests. Macau is a beautiful place and fortunately there are extremely beautiful places to stay and one can truly appreciate the hospitality, the other hotels and city has to offer.

I hope the hotel management read my review and work it out with their staff. For me I will never recommend this place to anyone, and will even go to the extent to cancel my trip to Macau if I have no other option but to stay in this hotel. I would prefer to not go rather than stay in this place

Room Tip: Do not expect anything from this hotel
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sharad S
Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

Tried this place as an alternative to Best Western Hotel Taipa, not a great choice. The other hotel was bad enough this place isnt an improvement. although the bed & pillows are atleast soft here, the mattresses must be 10 years old.
The bedding and towels were clean but the bathrooms were not, quite a lot of mildew & soap scum.
I doubt I'll stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013