“More than words can say!”
Review of Pousada de Mong-Ha

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Macau
Pousada de Mong-Ha
Ranked #20 of 95 Hotels in Macau
“More than words can say!”
Reviewed 14 May 2012

There is a reason why this hotel is always over booked, and also awarded the 2012 Trip Advisor award for the hotel of the year.

I should not go into the impeccable service of these hotel as I trust that previous reviews have more than covered that! What really stands out is that the excellent service is from within and not those plastic smiles that you get from 5 Star hotels. In fact, I can easily point out another 5 star hotel which has a lot to learn from this place. (See my review on hotel santiago.)

In short:
1. Location: Like many, the location is not near the casino strip. This hotel is more suitable for those that want to experience Macau, the old Macau and the Macau that has to offer more than the neon lights of the casinos and if you are one of those, then perfect!

The location can be a little difficult to find even if you follow the map provided. After getting off from Bus 12 from the Macau Ferry Terminal, this is where the difficult or maybe challending part. I guess I am not too good at reading maps and even if you ask locals, not many will know of this hotel.

So, my advice is to be patient as it does take a while to locate this hotel and if you can't wait, then definitely not the place for you. But, good things come to people who wait and it is after the long walk then you realised it is all worth it!

You too need to walk up quite a steep slop about 10-15minutes walk before you reach the hotel.

2. Room and Service: Impeccable and nothing more I can say. Just love the room, only regret was I wished I could have stayed on for another night but all rooms are fully booked.

3. Reservation: They do not have an website, so call and book. No problems with that, confirmation was efficient and the no issues with getting to the reservation desk. But remember to BOOK EARLY! As they have very limited rooms and I can only imagine that this hotel will get more and more popular.

To sum it all, I will definitely stay here again!

And you have to TRY the restaurant next door, very good value for money. Oh and complimentary breakfast was good, standard international buffett style but I think its good for me. I am not expecting an spread.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Ahchu

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Pattaya, Chon Buri, Thailand
Reviewed 5 May 2012

My wife and I travel a lot and we have stayed in several places in Macau. This is the BEST! I hesitate to write the truth about how wonderful this place and the staff is, because it is already VERY popular. The rooms were very nice, clean, large, and quiet. Breakfast was good and filling with eggs cooked to order. The attached restaurant had great food and great prices for its quality. However, as usual, it is the people who make a place like this more than just a building with comfortable beds. The staff here went WAY beyond nice and helpful. We stayed 2 weeks about 2 weeks ago and when I asked my wife where in the world she wanted to go for her birthday, yup we leave in 2 weeks to return.

I can not make a higher recommendation.

I do however have a suggestion. Talk to the staff. Not just with a request, but tell them what you did that day, what you liked, where you are from, ask them the same. As a school for the hospitality industry many of the young staff may be away from home and nighttime at the front desk can be boring. These people not only deserve it, but like most folks treat them nicely and it will be returned. Heck, this staff would treat you great and offer a smile when they are dead tired and you may not have been all that nice.

4 Thank Marcus B
Hong Kong
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I tried to book this hotel many times but not successful because one month booking in advance is normal if you want to stay here during weekend. This time, I booked 5 weeks before arrival but only got 1 night confirmed. Luckily I was in waiting list and hotel later replied there is a room available. Therefore, if you really want to stay in this hotel, you must book it very early.
This hotel is nice. But don't think there is 5 star decoration and amenities. However, students always provide their best service to fulfill your request.
Breakfast is included in the room rate. Taste is very good althought not many choices.
They have scheduled shuttle bus to ferry terminal and downtown, but no return service. Frankily, location of this hotel is a bit far from city centre. It is not so easy to catch a taxi in Macau now. Sometimes, we have to take bus to hotel nearby and walk uphill to arrive hotel. If you don't really like walking, this hotel may not suit you.

1 Thank Bird-Bird-Blogger
George Town, Malaysia
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Beautiful and wonderful hotel managed by friendly students of the Institute for Tourism Studies. Rooms are great and comfortable and away from the hustle and bustle of the city. It's just a 5 minutes walk up the hill to Pousada. The hotel is surounded by green foliage and parks. Rooms are limited so remember to book early.

Enjoyed our 4 nights peaceful and comfortable stay. The breakfast were good with an acceptable spread.

Free shuttle are provided but booking with reception are necessary. Public transportation are easily available and about 10 minutes walk from the hotel. Eateries and shops are also 10 minutes walk and 3 streets away.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank pggenius
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 19 April 2012

The student staff was exceptionally helpful and the hotel area has nice Portuguese design and decor. On a quiet hilltop a bit far from the historic center, but some shuttle service is provided and taxis are cheap. You won't even know the casinos are there. Excellent Macanese cuisine is served in their fine dining room. Best for those interested in the history of the city not the gambling.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank benbenton
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My fiance booked this Pousada after seeing rave reviews here on tripadvisor. And again, we are glad we went with following advice on here.

I love that Pousada de Mong Ha is located far from Taipa's avenue of casinos and the peninsula's busy centre of malls and shops. When we're looking for accommodations, we want best service and great food. This Pousada provided us with both and even went beyond our expectations.

The room package we chose came with a breakfast buffet and I must say that the buffet we had was not too extensive but it was the best I've had in years! From the homemade jams to the salads, I felt like I was at home and eating comfort food. :)

They only had 20 bedrooms available so do book fast! It wasn't really the nicest, most glamorous bedroom and bath. But it will do, for a quick trip in Macau. I also loved that they provided free wi-fi access along with a desktop computer. Haven't used a desktop PC in years, but having great internet connection was a nice surprise for our stay.

We also had lunch at the Educational Restaurant nearby. I guess some people who try this restaurant expect to have professionals serving them. But, I have to say that you should lighten up! They are all students. While they may not be giving you perfect service yet, they are training and I believe I have experienced even worse service at non-educational restaurants. The attendant serving us dropped my soup spoon, but we found the situation pretty funny instead. After that, it was the senior attendants that started tending to our needs. I can say it was still a pretty neat experience. And the food was awesome, too! Do try their bacalhau and their dessert buffet!

3 Thank imcv
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Staffs are friendly and helpful,and room is clean and comfortable. It's some distance away from town center but I didn't find that a problem. If the free shuttle bus provided does not suit your time, you can always take public buses which are frequent and places of attractions are easily accessible by them.

When i leave the hotel, i dropped my neck pillow and only noticed it when i reached the airport. I called to enquire and they were actually trying to contact me but I only left them with my home phone number. I asked if they could send back the pillow to me and they assured me they will. In addition, they would take care of the delivery fees. They kept me updated with status of the delivery and emails sent are promptly replied. The pillow holds sentimental value for me and I couldn't thank them enough for sending it back.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple