“The best hotel so far” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 95 Hotels in Macau
Singapore, Singapore
“The best hotel so far”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2011

I made reservation via the Internet and they took a while to reply. They have some discount, if you make a reservation, more than 14 days in advance.On hind sight, I can understand that they are not that well versed in English and it will take some time to get back exactly what you want.

I arrived from the Skypier in Hong Kong and seeing a row of hotel bus across the road, I made my way there and a kind soul redirected me back, where I found the free hotel shuttle. So, future guest take note that the hotel shuttle is turn left after emerging from the pier and in the general south east direction or simply in the direction of the Fisherman's wharf, which is 3 minutes away by foot.

It is a small bus that will take you to the hotel within 8 minutes, inclusive of some traffic snags. Do note that as the bus is small and with its height, it sways, when the bus goes round a bend. There will be ushers near the bus and they will assist you to store the luggage below the bus. Do cooperate with them as the bus filled up quickly and you won't look good if your luggage hogs the seat or passageway.

As the hotel entrance is at the rear for good reasons that the front is a busy road, we alighted infront of the hotel. I was told to check in at the 21st floor as the good people gave me a room upgrade. Also do note that the hotel do a full deduction from your credit card on reservation. My stay was from 16 - 22 Dec 2010

The check in was not as fast as you would like as I understand that most of the staff were foreign talents, i.e. they were mostly from Hong Kong or Zhuhai. So, working with English as a medium of administration is not a natural course. I was suppose to be given 3 coupons per day for my complimentary coffee with a piece of cake, but somehow they shortchanged me by giving me less than my entitlement. I don't think that it is an act of dishonesty, it is probably a case of shoddy work. Anyway, I never got to use my full entitlement. I was also given a MOP350 voucher, which I did use at the Chinese restauarant on the 9th floor.

I was allocated a room on the 20th floor and it may not be a good idea. Located on the same floor and at a corner is a Thai Spa. If you know the words Thai and Spa combines, you would not think too well of such an establishment within a couple of feet away from your room. BTW, Macau Police detained in excess of 100 Chinese prostitutes at the Venetians, in the days before my arrival. I have also witness security staff at the Venetians chasing after a bunch of mini skirt girls. Anyway, I also saw dubious young girls at the Lisboa Hotel. Having said that, on the part of the Spa within the same row of the room, I did not witness anything sleazy. I would have peferred the spa to be on some levels away.

The room were large and the toiletries were more than adequate. Housekeeping and laundry were up to the mark. My room was facing the East and I miss out on the firework display that those, whose room faces the south.

There is a gym on the high floor of the hotel and you have to get your access from the 21st floor reception. From the gym, you can go to the sky garden, but I would advise precaution, if you are going there alone. The door locks after you and you may be stranded for a long time as there is no intercom or other communication means. Of course, don't imitate superheroes like spiderman in such a situation.

There is a small fridge in the room with softdrink. It is actually free, but they only told me, when I check out. So, effectively, they could have save a few bucks, if I have consumed them. Two complimentary bottles of mineral water are provided per day. You should not be too concern about bottled water as casinos do provide them free of charge, when you are in their premise.

Breakfast at the hotel is good and in case you want to swap for lunch, you are allowed. First such case in my travel. Complimentary shuttle service to the harbour and Portas Do Cerco are provided after 9AM daily. Good to use them as a drop off point so that you can visit the neighbourhood. I use them to visit Fisherman Wharf and Gongbei respectively. Do make sure that you get the complimentary coupons as they will check them when you leave from the hotel and not the other way round.

The hotel can also assist you to buy tickets to shows like Zaia and the House of dancing water. They also do recommend free shows like those at the Grand Lisboa or the Bubbles at the City of Dreams.

In terms of location, the hotels is near to the center of action, i,.e Senado Square to the North West and Ah Ma temple and Macau Tower to the south. Margaret's tart is just north of the hotel. The large departmental store "New Yaohan" is next to the hotel.

Service wise, I rate this hotel highly and they try their best to help the guest. I find it amusing that two Caucasians in colourful red uniform guarding the hotel entrance. I can understand that they are ceremonial and they have a very good fake M16 with them.

I would certainly stay at this hotel again, given the great location, well appointed rooms and good staff.

• Stayed December 2010
4 Thank tengkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 December 2010

We booked our stay directly on its hotel website. As we booked quite early in July for Dec stay, we received F&B $300 rebate per night stay to use at their restaurants . This is truly a good deal. The chinese restaurant (not buffet) is reasonably priced and has decent good food.
First of all, there is FREE shuttle bus at the Macau airport which was not mentioned in our hotel booking. Once out of custom, turn left and ask the information counter for the bus schedule. There is no marking of where the bus will be but you may stand near Venetian Bus (which is on more regular schedule) to wait for Grand Emperor's bus. Location of hotel is perfect, walking distance to Grand Lisboa area, 15 mins stroll to St Paul Ruins. Hotel staff speaks good English. We received good services everywhere. The hotel is modelled like a Grand Emperor so a lot of hotel decor are in GOLD. Hotel pic is a true reflection of what actual room look like. There is a casino in the hotel and the smoke does not really bother us (my daughter is sensitive to smoking smell). We also stayed 2 nights at Venetian. While Venetian Macau room is huge and comfortable, I think Venetian is too BIG to venture out of the hotel. We hardly left our room @ venetian which is no good. Grand Emperor will do fine if you are more keen to explore Macau.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank KLene
Tasmania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2010

This was our second stay at the Grand Emperor, the last was in 2007, for us it represents a central location and good value. In 2007 some of the staff struggled with the english language, that seems has changed and we had no trouble conversing with any of the very friendly staff. If you do stay at this hotel we would like to make special mention of Max at the concierge desk, Max was very helpful and obliging so if you need any assistance he could be the staffer to go to. On our arrival I found that the room safe would not operate properly but ths was rectified within 30 minutes.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 October 2010

Could not fault this excellent hotel. From the moment we arrived we were helped, greated warmly and informed of all that was on offer. Rooms were lovely, clean, spacious and the bed comfortable. Bathroom clean and well stocked with useful items. Restaurant well run by friendly and efficient staff. Food very nice. Breakfast variety good. Check-in and check-out very efficient and the staff very well trained. Thankyou for three wonderful nights, we will return.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2010

The Grand Emperor Hotel is a very nice place to stay. We booked it since it seemed to be a good compromise between the much more expensive top end casinos like Grand Lisboa or Wynn and a budget hotel and we did not get disappointed. Much has been written already about the guards at the entrance and the gold bars in the ground of lobby, but we did not feel disturbed by other tourists in the lobby (there are probably more tourists strolling through the Grand Lisboa or the MGM Grand than through this hotel). The rooms are really nice, with a large and well maintained bathroom, a comfy king size bed and flat screen TV. The location is great, just a five minute walk to the Grand Lisboa and about 15 minutes to the ruins of St. Pauls. There is a free shuttle bus from the front of the hotel to the ferry terminal and to the airport, just ask for a voucher when checking out. You can also receive breakfast discounts when asking for them. The only piece of criticism is that we had a fruit basket waiting in our room which was being picked up 15 minutes after we moved in with the explanation that the fruits were placed in our room by mistake. I guess if such a thing happens it would be appropriate just to prepare new fruits...

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
manila
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2010

the lobby is so impressive..with gold bars all over the floor!!!!..so neat and clean..my husband and I brought our friends from los angeles for a 3 days vacation to macau and i was not dissappointed when I chose this hotel.we really loved and enjoyed our stay..Transportation was so easy.just went across the street to sintra hotel and there we took a bus going to the city of dreams which is next to venetian hotel.i would surely stay in this hotel again if ever i visit macau again...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Napier, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2010

I booked online without any problems. The checkin service was very good, with a lot of help from the bellboys. I cannot speak highly enough of a couple of the restaurant staff, They were very helpful. The free tour was very enjoyable. I only found one problem with cleaniness. There was a problem with the bath. It had a big dirt ring around the rim of the bath other than that the room was very clean. No clock in the room either which made it hard, as I did not have a watch with me or my cellphone. But apart from those two things. I definitely would recommend this hotel to any traveller. I would stay again as I had a thoughly enjoyable stay. A lot of the staff spoke quite good english as well.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo