“Relaxation in an amazing setting”
Review of Hotel Xixim

Hotel Xixim
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Celestun
london, uk
“Relaxation in an amazing setting”
Reviewed 29 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here after a day in the crazyness of Merida and we absolutely loved it. The hotel is 10k north of Celestun on an unpaved road and as a result, there is nothing near the site. The hotel itself is really spaced out; you stay in individual cabins and as a result, although the hotel was fairly full, it felt like we were more or less alone on the site.

We stayed in a Master Suite as we were self catering for most of our holiday and fancied one night of luxury and it was well worth it. The bed was one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in; the wet room was fantastic and the view of the ocean was wonderful, even if the weather didn't really co-operate. I don't think that I have ever said this before, but the photos on the hotel website do accurately reflect the setting and the rooms.

Service was enthusiastic and friendly although it could have been more polished in places. However, the staff delivered a pot of coffee and some cake to our suite in the morning and were so quiet that my wife didn't wake up!

As others have said there isn't much to do in the area other than relax, go on bird watching trips or do yoga, so it may not be suitable for families, but if you are in the area and want complete relaxation, this is the perfect place.

The restaurant is very good; it produced some of the best food we ate whilst in Mexico and given that there is nothing nearby, I do not feel that the food was overpriced. The cost was similar to restaurants we ate at in the touristy bits of the Riviera Maya but the quality and presentation of food was better.

Overall, both my wife and I commented that we wished we could have stayed more than one night. I doubt that we will come back to this part of Mexico in the near future, but if we do, I would definitely come back to this hotel for a few nights.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 31 January 2013
Dear Subedai:

I myself and in the name of all the staff that works at Xixim, want to thank you for your lovely review.

As to the photos of the architecture, yes, as you remark, they accurately reflect the setting of the room. I nevertheless think, that whatever I do, hire a good, bad or mediocre photographer, one can never grasp fully the beauty of nature, which is, I think, one of the highlights of our resort.

Thank you also for considering returning to this pristine spot of the Yucatan if and when your path brings you to this part of the world again. Obviously we hope that this will happen and we will be very honored to be your host again.

Kind regards

Verena Gerber

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place grows on you quickly. This is a remote, eco-friendly place to relax and spend time with your family and/or loved one(s). The hotel is inspired to blend in with the local environment. It is very different than other luxury hotel in other parts of the Yucatan peninsula (i.e., Cancun). Once you let go your expectations, you discover a wonderful place. You are in the middle of a natural preserve, surrounded by all kinds of birds and wild life. You don't have to go too far to experience nature. Rooms are great. I would not recommend going during mosquito season (peaks in May), even when the locals say there are no bugs this time of year we had to use bug spray (the natural kind) all the time. Not an issue.
Food is amazing. Highly recommend putting on a few pounds. This is a definite must see when you tour the Eastern part of Yucatan.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank juanjacobo_vdd
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 2 February 2013
Dear Juanjacobo_vdd:

I want to thank you dearly for having taken your time to write such a nice review. We, I myself and all the staff that collaborates at Xixim, are very proud of your comment “a definite must see”. Thank you for this also.

We are sorry, that you where molested by mosquitoes. Yes, we have them and with a renewable supply. We make a lot of effort to control them and fumigate regularly with an ecological product that doesn’t harm other creatures. Unfortunately we can’t exterminate them, as this would reduce significantly the presence of other wildlife that feed on them, like birds.

We really hope that your path will bring you again to the Eastern part of the Yucatan. We would be delighted to be your host again in this your second home, Xixim.

Kind regards

Windhoek, Namibia
Reviewed 19 December 2012

If I could give this hotel 10 stars, I would. I really cannot find any shortcomings to it. We stayed at Ecoparaiso ten years ago, and our memories of the place were so good that we went out of our way to get back to it. We flew from Bogota, Colombia, to Cancun via Miami, and then drove four hours to Celestun. The highways were excellent, and the trip worth every kilometer. If going to a big hotel in Cancun, partying all night, and eating American style food is your type of holiday, then avoid this destination. If your prefer to relax in a quiet atmosphere and enjoy local cuisine, this is the place for you. We stayed at Hotel Xixim from Dec. 16 to 21, 2012, and left reluctantly. Xixim is a wonderful, almost pristine beach in Yucatan. The hotel has done everything possible to keep it this way, without sparing comfort for its guests. Our family of three (6 year old daughter) stayed at suite No. 2, one of the "older" and smaller units, but still extremely comfortable. Chilango 2012 has already provided a good description of the rooms. I would only add that all of them have a private terrace with two Yucatan style rocking chairs and a hammock, overlooking the sand dune and the sea. There are also two swimming pools with the most comfortable chaise longues from where one can watch spectacular sunsets. The service is outstanding. From the person in charge of reservations, to the front desk, to the restaurant team, everyone does their utmost to please the guests, in a most friendly manner. The restaurant menu deserves a special mention. Everything we tried was not just good, but delicious (somewhat different from Chilango's experience, which probably means that guests' comments are taken seriously and acted upon fast). Of course, most of it is Yucatan cuisine, and the best way to enjoy a new experience is by being open to it. Having been to Yucatan before, I was thrilled to taste again cochinita pibil, sopa de lima (Persian lime soup), salbutes, poc-chuc, quesadillas, and many other delicacies, all of which were amazing. People who describe this place as "heaven on Earth" are not lying. We have been to many destinations and all sorts of hotels, and I would keep coming back to this one whenever I could. The "luxury" of this resort is the setting, the comfort, the friendly service of its personnel, and the amazing food. With all this, who cares for marble bathrooms! The owner must be really proud of the little treasure she has crafted in this hidden corner of Yucatan, and we are most thankful for her efforts.

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the farther it will be from the main pool and the restaurant, and the mo...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 23 December 2012
Dear Rosie D

It is good for the soul to hear that somebody thinks one has done a good job and on top of it cherishes it.

We at Xixim are also very pleased that you went through all this trouble and far driving to have some relaxing and comfortable days at our pristine setting.

Obviously we have not failed to notice that this is your second visit. Of this, we are proud and very thankful and hope you will consider in the near future a third visit.

In the meanwhile, we wish you a very blessed and joyful Christmas and that the splendor fo the new baktun = Mayan era, will shine upon all of us during 2013.

Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed 27 November 2012

This is my 15th tripadvisor review and my first 5 star one. Despite Xixim's few shortcomings I have no hesitation to give a top rating as the positives were just so overwhemingly wonderful.

Xixim is the most peaceful and relaxing place I have come across so far. Staff is super friendly, the beach dazzling and the grounds lovely. Everything is amazingly natural and unspoiled, the untouched dunes, the shells at the beach, the grounds' fauna and flora...

The room (master suite) and its decor is of a wonderfully luxurious simplicity with floor to ceiling windows offering a breathtaking view of the dunes and sea, an outdoor/indoor shower which combines the beauty of showering outside (sea view!) with the protection of the inside. And last but not least the not only useful but massively romantic mosquito net covering the comfortable bed.

We enjoyed a great tour to see the flamingos with the wonderful tour guide Alex (although not sure if we saw everything we paid for).

Areas for improvement I believe are: hot water supply (we had to cut our showers pretty short to both have a chance to shower in the morning), abysmal state of rental bikes (pretty much every part was rosty, broken and malfunctioning), inconsistency of food quality (was too much depending on chef-of-the-day if it was good or only ok).

As for complaints by others, we stayed in number 24 and you wouldn't hear a generator or a/c, all you hear are the waves; the 10 km dirt road drive from Celestun was quick and easy even with a standard vehicle; yes there are mosquitos, but they weren't bothering us too much.

This peaceful spot is the most perfect place to relax and I'd recommend it 100%.

Room Tip: Master suites are just perfect. #16 might be too close to the pool but suites #22 - 30 definitely gu...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Dear Chilango 2012

I am overwhelmed and do not know how to thank you for your generosity in having given uns 5 of 5 the first time in 15 reviews. I am so happy and I am so proud. In my name and in the name of each and every one that makes this possible to happen, thank you very, very much!

As to the improvement opportunities, you are totally right and I am very sorry, but our bikes do not survive this salty environment. We change them every year and in no time they are again rusty and unfit to be handled. If you have any suggestion on how we could improve the survival or our bikes, I would be uttermost thankful.

We have taken notice of the inconsistency in our food quality – this should not happen. We will try to overcome this matter. As to warm water, this is a mayor issue and has to do with energy consumption and our ecological philosophy.

Again, thank you for such an outstanding review.

Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Absolutely amazing, beautiful and luxurious resort. My husband and I just came back from a little getaway here and it was exquisite. The staff were amazing especially since we spoke very little spanish, everyone was really helpful and understanding. The food was incredible and I wish we could buy the marmalades that we had for breakfast. The master suite was heavenly and waking up to that view was so relaxing. My husband and I are not bird watching type of people so besides relaxing there was very little to do which is exactly what we was on our agenda. We went in the off season so there wasn't any yoga which I was really looking forward to. We both got massages and it was definitely worth it.

Hands down the best margaritas I have ever had but be careful of the 'margarita especial' since it is made with chili pepper!

My suggestions to the hotel would be to offer two different menus, one for lunch and one for dinner. The same menu got a bit old after two days. Also, the towels seemed to be needing an upgrade but it didn't bother us.

It did feel like we were 'in' on a secret but am happy to get the word out to everyone!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Dear Wdiedericks,

Thank you so much for your beautiful review. Furthermore I loved your title and tag to our resort: ‘Hidden Gem’. It is very rewarding for all of us who work in Xixim that our guests have such an exquisite view of our space which we so dearly care of.

As to your comments, new towels are there, we only have to sew the new logo onto them. We are going to release them for the Christmas season. As to the menu, you are totally right. To solve this, we have a ‘specialty’ dish every day, which is not on the menu. Perhaps this wasn’t offered to you in your stay. If this was so, I am sorry.

Unnecessary to stress out, that we would cherish your visit in the near future in this your home, Xixim.

Calabasas, California
Reviewed 6 September 2012

It has taken me months to write this review, not because I did not know what to write, but because I was selfishly trying to keep this place a secret. I have finally decided to come clean only because I feel guilty. There is no other way to describe this Xixim (which means seashell in Mayan) but Heaven on Earth. The staff is incredibly friendly, efficient, eager to please and a perfect example of Mexico's world renowned warmth and hospitality. The ecological architecture and design of every single little detail is an indication of how much thought and love went into its creation. The tour to see the flamingoes is both incredible and unforgettable. The food is great, particularly the presentation. The pools and gym are lovely. The beach, however, is the highlight in my opinion. It is entirely secluded and virgin. The temperature of the water is perfect and you can swim comfortably without being fearful of big waves. Please note that this is not the place for anyone who needs to have manicured lawns, air-conditioning all the time (there is only AC in the restaurant, the rooms and balconies have ceiling fans), poolside entertainment, TVs in rooms and likes to party. This is a quiet resort where you go to get away from it all. Also note that, just like any other place in a tropical climate such as this, at certain times of the year is can get very hot and is always humid, there are mosquitoes, lizards and iguanas. There are also plenty of beautiful birds and more varied and intact seashells than you have ever seen. P.S. Party animals and spring-breakers please refrain and don't ruin it for the rest of us.
Michele Stevens, Calabasas, California.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank MICHELE S
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 11 September 2012
Thank you so much for your gratifying review. All our employees and I myself are always very much motivated by comments like yours. Again, thank you.

As to keeping Xixim a secret, it is almost so. It hasn’t been discovered by the masses, situation I cherish as we are there for the safekeeping of this pristine spot on earth. On the other hand, if we do not have a minimum percentage of occupation, we will die and would have to close our beloved Xixim. I think nobody wants this.

Wishing you a wonderful day and a fun weekend and hoping to be your host again in the near future,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2012

We really enjoyed staying here. The staff are absolutely incredible and made our family (my husband, our 5yr old boy, 2yr old boy and I) very welcome. The children were played with and fussed over and made to feel very special.
The cottages are great and immaculately clean with lovely balconies with views over the beach. The swimming pools are amazing and well thought out. The family pool is half in the shade / half in the sun. The beach is incredible and the sunsets out of this world.
The only downside was the children's menu which was so bland and un-mexican that I suggest ordering starters from the adults menu or popping into Celestun (local laid-back fishing village) to try out the catch of the day (beware restaurants close at 3.60-7pm).

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this review, 13 June 2012
Dear Libby L,

In my name and in the name of the staff that works at the Hotel Xixim, I thank you for your lovely review.

Thank you also for your comment on the children’s menu. We will try to amend this as soon as possible.

I hope all of your holiday in Mexico was enjoyable and wish you a safe trip home. Obviously, we would very much like you to recommend Mexico and Xixim abroad, as lately we have had very sad news out there.

Verena Gerber
Also consider these accommodations in or near Celestun
Hotel Flamingo
#3 of 9 in Celestun
Technotel Merida Norte
Technotel Merida Norte
#71 of 103 in Merida

Been to Hotel Xixim? Share your experiences!