Hotel Xixim
US$228
  • Pool
US$256
US$22
Hotel Hacienda Inn(Merida)(Great Value!)
US$39
US$38
US$30
US$23
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmaster suitedirt roadeco resortevery morningget awaythree daysjuan carlosjuice barknowledgeable guidethe hotel websitecaptive audiencecevichemiles and milessea saltreception arealocal dishesday tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 February 2013

Frustrated by the lack of evening dinner options in Celestun our hosts suggested we try Xixim. We drove the 10km out of the town over the unmade road and it was actually not as bad as we thought. Took it slowly and made it easily.
We were warned that the place would be deserted and when we arrived there was only one car in the lot. This is a hotel with 50 rooms. We saw 3 people the whole time we were there. We walked the resort. It is wonderful, the pools, the cabanas and the main building. Why is it there? Who knows - my suspicion is money laundering.
There is a main restaurant with seating for at least 100. However dinner was being served in the bar upstairs where 3 tables were laid out. We were the only people who ate that evening. The meal was superb. One of the best we had on our 2 week trip to the Yucatan. Authentic Yucatan with a touch of class and the service was excellent.
A mindbogglingly experience being just about the only people in this multi-million dollar facility with excellent food.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2013

Dear Alanjeannie:

Thank you very much for your beautiful and pleasing review.

We are very happy that you liked our food and are obviously proud of your comment ‘the best we had on our 2 week trip to the Yucatan’.

We can nevertheless assure you we are not laundering money. To blame for our low occupancy are the very bad news about safety and health in Mexico, who have occupied the front pages of major newspapers here in Mexico and abroad for at least the last 4 years.
All began with the subprime crisis in the USA at the end of 2008, continued on May 2009 with the world known Mexican swineflue, then the drug war, combined with the Exxon Oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico and the bankruptcy of the first airline to fly in Mexico, Mexicana de Aviación. All in all, the last 4 years have been lean times.

However, we saw a slight recovery on 2012 and are very glad that after a long absence USA and Canadian tourists are returning to visit our country. Also the European guests are venturing themselves again to Mexico.

Obviously, we would very much appreciate you to spread the word amongst your fiends and acquaintances, that we exist, that it is safe and beautiful down here.

Thank you so much for your visit and hoping to be your hosts again in the near future.

Reviewed 29 January 2013

My wife and I stayed here after a day in the crazyness of Merida and we absolutely loved it. The hotel is 10k north of Celestun on an unpaved road and as a result, there is nothing near the site. The hotel itself is really spaced out; you stay in individual cabins and as a result, although the hotel was fairly full, it felt like we were more or less alone on the site.

We stayed in a Master Suite as we were self catering for most of our holiday and fancied one night of luxury and it was well worth it. The bed was one of the most comfortable that I have ever slept in; the wet room was fantastic and the view of the ocean was wonderful, even if the weather didn't really co-operate. I don't think that I have ever said this before, but the photos on the hotel website do accurately reflect the setting and the rooms.

Service was enthusiastic and friendly although it could have been more polished in places. However, the staff delivered a pot of coffee and some cake to our suite in the morning and were so quiet that my wife didn't wake up!

As others have said there isn't much to do in the area other than relax, go on bird watching trips or do yoga, so it may not be suitable for families, but if you are in the area and want complete relaxation, this is the perfect place.

The restaurant is very good; it produced some of the best food we ate whilst in Mexico and given that there is nothing nearby, I do not feel that the food was overpriced. The cost was similar to restaurants we ate at in the touristy bits of the Riviera Maya but the quality and presentation of food was better.

Overall, both my wife and I commented that we wished we could have stayed more than one night. I doubt that we will come back to this part of Mexico in the near future, but if we do, I would definitely come back to this hotel for a few nights.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2013

Dear Subedai:

I myself and in the name of all the staff that works at Xixim, want to thank you for your lovely review.

As to the photos of the architecture, yes, as you remark, they accurately reflect the setting of the room. I nevertheless think, that whatever I do, hire a good, bad or mediocre photographer, one can never grasp fully the beauty of nature, which is, I think, one of the highlights of our resort.

Thank you also for considering returning to this pristine spot of the Yucatan if and when your path brings you to this part of the world again. Obviously we hope that this will happen and we will be very honored to be your host again.

Wishing you a wonderful day,
Kind regards

Reviewed 23 January 2013

This place grows on you quickly. This is a remote, eco-friendly place to relax and spend time with your family and/or loved one(s). The hotel is inspired to blend in with the local environment. It is very different than other luxury hotel in other parts of the Yucatan peninsula (i.e., Cancun). Once you let go your expectations, you discover a wonderful place. You are in the middle of a natural preserve, surrounded by all kinds of birds and wild life. You don't have to go too far to experience nature. Rooms are great. I would not recommend going during mosquito season (peaks in May), even when the locals say there are no bugs this time of year we had to use bug spray (the natural kind) all the time. Not an issue.
Food is amazing. Highly recommend putting on a few pounds. This is a definite must see when you tour the Eastern part of Yucatan.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank juanjacobo_vdd
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2013

Dear Juanjacobo_vdd:

I want to thank you dearly for having taken your time to write such a nice review. We, I myself and all the staff that collaborates at Xixim, are very proud of your comment “a definite must see”. Thank you for this also.

We are sorry, that you where molested by mosquitoes. Yes, we have them and with a renewable supply. We make a lot of effort to control them and fumigate regularly with an ecological product that doesn’t harm other creatures. Unfortunately we can’t exterminate them, as this would reduce significantly the presence of other wildlife that feed on them, like birds.

We really hope that your path will bring you again to the Eastern part of the Yucatan. We would be delighted to be your host again in this your second home, Xixim.

Kind regards

Reviewed 19 December 2012

If I could give this hotel 10 stars, I would. I really cannot find any shortcomings to it. We stayed at Ecoparaiso ten years ago, and our memories of the place were so good that we went out of our way to get back to it. We flew from Bogota, Colombia, to Cancun via Miami, and then drove four hours to Celestun. The highways were excellent, and the trip worth every kilometer. If going to a big hotel in Cancun, partying all night, and eating American style food is your type of holiday, then avoid this destination. If your prefer to relax in a quiet atmosphere and enjoy local cuisine, this is the place for you. We stayed at Hotel Xixim from Dec. 16 to 21, 2012, and left reluctantly. Xixim is a wonderful, almost pristine beach in Yucatan. The hotel has done everything possible to keep it this way, without sparing comfort for its guests. Our family of three (6 year old daughter) stayed at suite No. 2, one of the "older" and smaller units, but still extremely comfortable. Chilango 2012 has already provided a good description of the rooms. I would only add that all of them have a private terrace with two Yucatan style rocking chairs and a hammock, overlooking the sand dune and the sea. There are also two swimming pools with the most comfortable chaise longues from where one can watch spectacular sunsets. The service is outstanding. From the person in charge of reservations, to the front desk, to the restaurant team, everyone does their utmost to please the guests, in a most friendly manner. The restaurant menu deserves a special mention. Everything we tried was not just good, but delicious (somewhat different from Chilango's experience, which probably means that guests' comments are taken seriously and acted upon fast). Of course, most of it is Yucatan cuisine, and the best way to enjoy a new experience is by being open to it. Having been to Yucatan before, I was thrilled to taste again cochinita pibil, sopa de lima (Persian lime soup), salbutes, poc-chuc, quesadillas, and many other delicacies, all of which were amazing. People who describe this place as "heaven on Earth" are not lying. We have been to many destinations and all sorts of hotels, and I would keep coming back to this one whenever I could. The "luxury" of this resort is the setting, the comfort, the friendly service of its personnel, and the amazing food. With all this, who cares for marble bathrooms! The owner must be really proud of the little treasure she has crafted in this hidden corner of Yucatan, and we are most thankful for her efforts.

Room Tip: The higher the room number, the farther it will be from the main pool and the restaurant, and the more secluded. if you prefer to save the walking, lower number rooms are close to everything.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2012

Dear Rosie D

It is good for the soul to hear that somebody thinks one has done a good job and on top of it cherishes it.

We at Xixim are also very pleased that you went through all this trouble and far driving to have some relaxing and comfortable days at our pristine setting.

Obviously we have not failed to notice that this is your second visit. Of this, we are proud and very thankful and hope you will consider in the near future a third visit.

In the meanwhile, we wish you a very blessed and joyful Christmas and that the splendor fo the new baktun = Mayan era, will shine upon all of us during 2013.

Reviewed 27 November 2012

This is my 15th tripadvisor review and my first 5 star one. Despite Xixim's few shortcomings I have no hesitation to give a top rating as the positives were just so overwhemingly wonderful.

Xixim is the most peaceful and relaxing place I have come across so far. Staff is super friendly, the beach dazzling and the grounds lovely. Everything is amazingly natural and unspoiled, the untouched dunes, the shells at the beach, the grounds' fauna and flora...

The room (master suite) and its decor is of a wonderfully luxurious simplicity with floor to ceiling windows offering a breathtaking view of the dunes and sea, an outdoor/indoor shower which combines the beauty of showering outside (sea view!) with the protection of the inside. And last but not least the not only useful but massively romantic mosquito net covering the comfortable bed.

We enjoyed a great tour to see the flamingos with the wonderful tour guide Alex (although not sure if we saw everything we paid for).

Areas for improvement I believe are: hot water supply (we had to cut our showers pretty short to both have a chance to shower in the morning), abysmal state of rental bikes (pretty much every part was rosty, broken and malfunctioning), inconsistency of food quality (was too much depending on chef-of-the-day if it was good or only ok).

As for complaints by others, we stayed in number 24 and you wouldn't hear a generator or a/c, all you hear are the waves; the 10 km dirt road drive from Celestun was quick and easy even with a standard vehicle; yes there are mosquitos, but they weren't bothering us too much.

This peaceful spot is the most perfect place to relax and I'd recommend it 100%.

Room Tip: Master suites are just perfect. #16 might be too close to the pool but suites #22 - 30 definitely guarantee tranquility and privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Dear Chilango 2012

I am overwhelmed and do not know how to thank you for your generosity in having given uns 5 of 5 the first time in 15 reviews. I am so happy and I am so proud. In my name and in the name of each and every one that makes this possible to happen, thank you very, very much!

As to the improvement opportunities, you are totally right and I am very sorry, but our bikes do not survive this salty environment. We change them every year and in no time they are again rusty and unfit to be handled. If you have any suggestion on how we could improve the survival or our bikes, I would be uttermost thankful.

We have taken notice of the inconsistency in our food quality – this should not happen. We will try to overcome this matter. As to warm water, this is a mayor issue and has to do with energy consumption and our ecological philosophy.

Again, thank you for such an outstanding review.

Wishing you a wonderful day,