Hotel Xixim
Hotel San Julio(Celestun)
  • Beachfront
Hotel Sofia(Celestun)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsmaster suitedirt roadeco resortevery morningget awaythree daysjuan carlosjuice barknowledgeable guidethe hotel websitecaptive audiencecevichemiles and milessea saltreception arealocal dishesday tour
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We spent one night at the hotel in mid-December. The place is really well kept, well designed and the staff is really helpful and super friendly. It's location is both awesome and poor. They also have games (table tennis, foosball, billiards) and the food is quite good. It is located in the area rife with local wild life and is right on the ocean. Since it is located in the preserve, there are lots of mosquitos, many more than if you'd stay outside. Unfortunately we didn't have any pants or long sleeved shorts so we couldn't get fully covered and were literally attacked by mosquitos. The repellent offered at the hotel doesn't work. If you decide to stay here, bring appropriate cloth and the repellent brand "Off". If I'd do it all over again, i'd take a quick round trip from Merida and back to see flamingoes and then go back, skipping overnight stay. If your plans are different, come well prepared.

Room Tip: if you're staying on the beach, the choice should be the ocean view.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Leonidl

Yes, this rainy season has hit Xixim badly. It has rained continuously for 3 months, flooding the valley of the dunes. Indeed, right now in December, we still have some areas that are flooded. We are lucky it is not stagnant water, it is what we call life water and it is still there, as the seawater label is unusually high for this time of the year.
Unfortunately mosquitoes are uncontrollable, inspite of our frecuent fumigations and all other measures. As you say, the best thing is to protect oneself with a good repellent and long sleaves. It also helps to take a vitamin B complex – somehow mosquitoes don’t like the smell of it.

I fully understand your statement “I'd take a quick round trip from Merida to see flamingoes and then go back”, but I can assure you that the calmness and beauty and gifts that Mother Earth has to show you here in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, are not present in the Paseo de Montejo.

Wishing you a happy Christmas and a wonderful 2014,

Reviewed 15 December 2013

Xixim is nature and luxury combined in a way that allows visitors to enjoy both without negatively impacting the breathtaking environment around them. The natural surroundings are amazing and the bird varieties are endless. The service was great too. As stated in the other reviews, mosquito repellent is a must, but if that's the price of being surrounded by natural beauty, I'll gladly pay it! I highly recommend this place to people seeking a relaxing vacation that is not the typical tourist attraction.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 23 December 2013

Dear Nancy N,

We are obviously very happy and proud of the title you gave to your review “Definitely going back”. Thank you so much for this and your incredible marvelous review.

I also very much appreciate you to state, that pristine nature can’t live without mosquitos. You are totally right. There are lots of species here in Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, that thrive around mosquitoes such as birds, geckos, dragon flies and bats amongst others.
Nevertheless we try to control them, fumigating assiduously and urge our guests to use the vitamin B patch that we provide without cost and, if this is not enough, use our bio- fliendly mosquito repellent.

Please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this pristine nature committed place.

Wishing you a merry Christmas and a joyful New Year,

Reviewed 30 October 2013

The Service and Grounds:

The food, service and amenities were great, and we enjoyed swimming and kayaking in the ocean very much. I had a blast riding a bike on the dirt road near the complex (I maintained enough speed to outrun the mosquitoes). It's a good place to get away from technology and converse, experience nature and reflect on life.

The staff were all extremely friendly and spoke english, the food fresh, and the rooms immaculate.

On Skeeters:

Unlike some, I grew up in an environment with mosquitoes, so I wasn't bothered very much by them during the stay. I had two tiny bumps come and go on my ankle for a 3 day stay. Others had dozens of welts appear.

One of our party members developed large welts on his back from them (he was assaulted during a bike ride to see the flamingoes), while other developed painful sores.

With better preparation (Calamine lotion, incense to burn (keeps mosquitos away) and light long sleeve clothing, I would return. But, then again, I am the adventurous type.

Room Tip: Read up on and be prepared for BUGS! Not just mosquitos. Do your homework. I found the population of insects and whatnot interesting, but others may not. (Huge cockroaches, scorpions, spiders, dragonflies, ants, etc... everywhere)
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Craig K
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2013

Dear Craig K,

Thank you so much for your comment “It's a good place to get away from technology and converse, experience nature and reflect on life”. This describes Xixim impeccably. This is exactly what we offer!!

Yes, this rainy season has hit Xixim badly – mosquitoes are uncontrollable, inspite of our frecuent fumigations and all other measures. As you say, the best thing is to protect oneself with a good repellent and long sleaves. It also helps to take a vitamin B complex – somehow mosquitoes don’t like the smell of it.

On top of this, it still is rainy here in the Yucantan Peninsula – fish scales are growing on us. In the 20 years that Xixim exists I have never experienced so much rain and water. Nothing doing, climate change perhaps?

Please ponder returning to Xixim during the winter month from November to April May – mosquitoes are almost gone on this months. Also please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this pristine nature committed place.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

My wife and me have to travel a lot because of our jobs and we truly appreciate places that offer us peace and cosiness. I would say, Xixim is medicine for our souls in our modern world. It is one of the few places in this world, where you can be in touch with the nature without giving up the comforts and benefits of our modern civilization. The fact that the hotel is in the middle of a nature reserve in Yucatan is a guarantee for silence and rest. I had never had the opportunity to see, how beaches look like in their natural being (very clean, soft sand...). The bungalows have an amazing view to the sea and we got every morning coffee in our own room. The staff is very kind and helpful and the kitchen is amazing! The tour guide is a local resident and he knows all about the animals, plants and situation from the region...
In few words: we will certainly go again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lohengrin85
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear Lohengrin85,

I myself and all the staff that works at Xixim, Unique Mayan Hotel, thank you very much for your precise and truthful review. Comments like yours encourage us to give a better, personalized and warm service to our guests.

Thank you for labeling our resort as ‘Medicine for the SOUL’ – I also really think so. It has been to me and I sincerely hope that it has been to other guests and will be also for the coming ones.

I am obviously thrilled that you consider visiting us again in the future. Please consider Xixim ‘tu casa’ – your home. We will be very pleased to pamper you again in this place of peace and cosines, as you describe it.

Reviewed 13 August 2013

I was stunned by the beauty and location of this resort. It was so peaceful, quiet and the beach is very lovely. We traveled to Celestun from Merida on a day trip and decided to spend the night there with our friends and children. We were a party of 7 (4 adults, 3 kids - 8,6 & 1.5) The grounds were beautiful, the food was good, the staff were friendly and they have a great recreation room with lovely views of the water which had a foosball table, pool table, TV and Wii. The kids had a great time until....Shortly after we arrived, we went to the beach and we started getting bitten by the mosquitos. My friend developed huge welts which she still has now!! We used the patches provided by the hotel right from the start but they take 36 hours to take effect and if you are planning on being in the water, they don't stay on very long. We did also use various types of mosquito repellent with and without DEET but they really did nothing. A few days after leaving the resort, the adults all became very ill with Dengue Fever. Our symptoms included - Severe headache (mostly in the forehead), pain behind the eyes which worsens with eye movement, body aches and joint pains, nausea or vomiting. The incubation period for Dengue actually ranges from 3-14 days. The kids also got bitten badly unfortunately the 1.5 year got it the worst for the 3 kids. We were so sick that it pretty much ruined the rest of our time in Mexico which we spent at an all inclusive resort in Cancun. The walk to the rooms or the beach became a mad dash to dodge mosquitos!! The cabanas were very nice and peaceful, I did really like the look but the mosquitos pretty much ruined it all. There was also not hot water which is never nice especially with such beautiful showers. The amount of mosquito bites we all received while at this hotel was unbelievable. I would strongly recommend the hotel management to do something about the mosquito issue. They did fumigate but I think it has to do with the vegetation around the hotel. I know it's an Eco-resort but in my opinion, air conditioners in the rooms and in the restaurants, bars and gym is a must. Unfortunately, we will probably never go back because of the health risk. We have never seen or been bitten by so many mosquitos in our lives!!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
6  Thank SeeTheWolrd83
XIXIM, Owner at Hotel Xixim, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2013

Dear VW1505,

I am really very, very sorry that you and your friends got dengue fever. It is a terrible disease and yes, very painful.

As to mosquitoes, ¡sí señor! We have a reliable and renewable supply. Especially at dusk and after it rains. It is most probable, that you hit both – dusk and rain.

One of our main concerns in the hotel is precisely to control arthropods in and around our resort. We have tried everything that has been available in the market: butane gas, octenol, pyrethins, citronella, screens that attract insects and capture them – with no avail.
Also, we suggest and provide to our guests mosquito repellents of any kind, being the best, until now, our transdermal vitamin B1 patch.
By the way, I read about a new patch, which is called KITE – it sounds like magic – I really hope it works, as it should ‘hide’ yourself from the female mosquito because she can’t sense your CO2 emission, which is the reason that attracts her to you.

If this is true, our goal of controlling – not killing - the mosquito population has a chance. I am positive that we humans should not destroy the whole mosquito population, as it is the main nourishment of many species that lived and thrived here long before we settled down in this pristine environment, such as birds, lizards and iguanas.

On another matter, it is really strange and unacceptable, that you had no warm water in the bathroom – I deeply apologize – this should not happen. I will look into it ASAP.

I regret, but fully understand that you probably won’t come back because of this unfortunate experience, but I would like to invite you again to what you describe as a peaceful, quiet, lovely beach resort during the wintertime when I promise the mosquito population is almost nil.