I really love this place! We arrived after dark following a 10 hour flight and 4 or 5 drive (we were so exhausted that none of us are sure how long it really was). So, waking up in beautiful, peaceful surroundings was magical. One of the first birds I saw was a Mexican Sheartail right in front of our room - I couldn't believe it! Yucatan Wren quickly followed. Two major targets in the bag! Other goodies in the area included Yucatan Bobwhite (seen three times along the access road) and White-lored Gnatcatcher. I went on the morning birding tour to Chunchumil, organised by the hotel, with Alex Dzib. This was great and got me my first views of some nice Yucatan endemics - such as Yucatan Jay, Yucatan Flycatcher, Yucatan Woodpecker and Orange Oriole. Highly recommended. I was back at the hotel in time for breakfast. I also went to Celestun Biosphere Reserve on a trip arranged by my travel agent and we saw masses of American Flamingos, as well as Bare-throated Tiger Heron and other good stuff. Similar trips can be arranged directly with the hotel too. The grounds are fabulous, with lots of native fauna and flora. Many plants have numbered markers and a lovely leaflet describes them (available on the website I think). The beach is amazing. I walked for miles without seeing another soul - the place is remote! Coffee and/or tea are brought to your room every morning. The coffee is very good, but I'm told the water for the tea was not quite hot enough. Food was generally very good. I particularly liked the Mexican breakfasts, which were a new experience for me. The beer selection is great and I also really liked the Margarita de Habanero - hot! Service is quite relaxed and not quite as formal as some other similarly priced hotels. There are one or two negatives - minor in my view, but worth mentioning. The access road is as bumpy as people say - quite an ordeal after a long flight and long drive. But, it didn't seem so bad after this. It is good for birding too! On our morning trip to Celestun there was a misunderstanding about our breakfast. We understood that we would be going birding for an hour or so, have breakfast at the hotel, then go on the boat tour. There were wires crossed between ourselves, our guide and the hotel. Not sure exactly how it happened, but we now know that a lunch box applies to breakfast as well as lunch! In the end we had a lovely breakfast in a cafe in Celestun, so we didn't go hungry! All things considered, this was my favourite place during the two week holiday to Mexico - peaceful, beautiful and relaxing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- XIXIM: a different alternative. Consciousness, love for intact nature, rediscovering yourself, high quality and the simplicity of our services are the secrets that we generously share in our paradise...Hotel XIXIM is an ecological paradise. Bordered by an unspoiled beach that stretches forever, a dwarf palm plantation and an abundance of indigenous vegetation, the environment here has always taken precedent over profit, in this very special, luxuriously rustic hotel. At present, we have 32 thatched cabanas, 24 junior suites with 2 four-poster double beds and 8 master suites with a king size bed, each with its own private verandah and en-suite bathroom. An extremely large thatched, double-story rondavel with sweeping views of the beach, golden sunsets and our pool area. Upstairs one will find El Santuario, our fully stocked bar and lounge area, and downstairs, our pride and joy, Restaurant Zaxim. The buildings dramatic thatched roof with the longest, straightest tree trunk supports, graphically canopy your occasion.Our Wellness Center as a set of architectural human and natural elements: palapas and mangroves, buildings and coastal dunes, windows overlooking the emerald-green sea, open spaces yet of intimate dimensions, each and every one of them integrated to the pristine nature. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, getaroom.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Hotel Xixim reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Eco Paraiso Xixim Celestun
- Eco Paraiso Xixim Hotel Celestun