“Birdwatcher's bonanza”
Review of Flamingo Tours

Ranked #3 of 6 things to do in Celestun
Reviewed 15 January 2014

This one and one half hour boat tour of Celestun Ria gives up close views of thousands of flamingoes and other birds. On our tour we saw flamingoes of all ages (black/white to deep pink), white and brown pelicans, several species of heron including a tiger heron, frigate birds, ibises, storks and a kingfisher. We also saw a couple of alligators. The fiberglass boats hold eight passengers and have sun covers. There is also a brief detour through a mangrove forest with an opportunity to walk to a fresh water spring (about 10 Minutes). We did this trip in mid-January. There are supposedly more birds going through their courting rituals in February and March. This is definitely a do-over for us.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Very nice tour in the good weather. Birds are amazing. I would only like it to be longer as 1.5 hours is not enough.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

We arrived from Merida with Ralf from William Lawson Tours ....I had read that it was best to see the birds in the morning, so we left at 7:30 from our hotel and arrived just as the ticket place opened. Because we were on a timeline and were also traveling to Uxmal that day, we chose to book a boat by ourselves so that we could control our time with the flamingos. December is a little early in the season, but there were about 5000 flamingos in Celestun....this count will grow to over 20,000. The birdlife was astonishing.....I was glad I had my 300mm lense and was able to get some fantastic pictures. Highly recommended for anyone who likes wildlife or is a photographer!

1  Thank pam b
Reviewed 28 November 2013

Important: You pay per boat, thus look for other tourists to share a boat. Otherwise it is to expensive. The boat for the 1,5hr tour is 1200 MEX, and the 2hr is 1500 MEX. Look for other in town or wait in front.
Only cash is accepted, no credit cards! You can get cash downtown (1km).
Ok, the 2hr tour is excellent. We see a lot of birds, mangroves and so on. It is worth the money if you are more than 4 people. If you have the short tour you will miss the boarder between salt water and the water in the lagoon. And the old trees which have died because of the salt water. The boats have a sun shield, but better use additional sun protection.
I would do the tour again!

4  Thank sknallt
Reviewed 5 September 2013

This is my story: I came to Celestun in 1990 and bought a small house on the beach. The only one I have ever owned. I was the only foreigner there and because I spoke English, the tour boat guides would come to me and have me come along to tell the passengers about the flamingos, the mangrove trees and other creatures in the area.
I have swam in the eye of the river many times, where an underground fresh water spring plumes into a secluded small area surrounded by mangrove trees. It is truly like being in a Tarzan movie. I have always found it safe. This is fun if you feel like a swim as it is part of the tour normally. Even if you don't, it is a sight to see!
The shrimp and crab fishermen stand in the water while fishing with nets. You many be lucky to see them on your trip also.
Now, what about the flamingos??? Well, they are pink from eating the shrimp larva.
Being on the river over 20 times, never gets old to me. It is truly a masterpiece of nature.

You can go from the beach, a longer ride, or from the river which you cross entering Celestun, about 1/2 mile from town. Little motor taxis will take you or walk. Recommend mosquito repellent if needed, camera, swim suit and sunblock.
This is a definite must, it is truly part of this planets fine nature reserves.

Prices do not vary much, but cost is by boat. Personally, I wouldn't miss this. It is very special and not a rough trip. If you go from the beach, sometimes there is a lot of bounce coming back as the current and breeze comes up after noon.

3  Thank sabelsart