“If you don't wear speedos, don't go.”
Review of Explorers Hotel

Explorers Hotel
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Magny-le-Hongre
Wiesbaden, Germany
“If you don't wear speedos, don't go.”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

Meager accommodations for an exorbitant price. We were placed in the first floor and it felt like the room was in the middle of a dungeon. The hallway was dark and we had to go through fire doors all the time. I was glad we only booked 2 nights but seriously, after one night, I was ready to go home. To top it off, I chose to book this hotel because of the pool. I have 4 boys and the pool looked so much fun! BUT, my all-american, board-shorts wearing boys were turned away. The french have ruled that board shorts do not comply with hygienic pool regulations and my boys were forced to wear speedos or not enter the pool at all. So yet again, we shelled out euros to buy NEW suits for all my kids. NOT HAPPY!!!!

One more tip, there is no A/C in the rooms so if you are looking to book in the summer months, be forewarned.

It was my fault for not consulting with Tripadvisor before I booked. So I am writing this review to warn/help out others who might be thinking about this hotel. Our experience was less than desirable. If you had a great time at your stay here, I am happy for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a room NOT of the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank mom2xyz
JordaneVernerie, Community Manager at Explorers Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear mom2xyz,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review from your stay at the Explorers Hotel. Your opinion is valuable as we use your comments to adapt and improve our services.

I am sorry that your visit was not up to your expectations despite our best efforts to offer you the best possible.

According to the french regulations, beach shorts are not allowed in our pool due to hygiene reasons, which is clearly stated on our website. However we do have a vending machine at the swimming pool with speedos available for everyone so our guests still have the option to buy one of these if they don't have one. Once again, I am sorry if this information was not clear to you.

The entire team hopes to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Jordane VERNERIE

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (339)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Lovely for children with great indoor pool with slides etc.Big wooden ship outdoors and lovely grounds. Lovely choices for breakfast but not many choices for evening meal if you ve gone for half board option and you re staying for a week.... - but cheaper than eating in the hotel cafés or in Disney.Bedrooms are basic but good. Buses to Disney park run frequently and Explorers is one of the first pick ups and the first drop off on the way back. I ve stayed in Santa Fe, Cheyenne and Newport Bay and this hotel is as good.Too far to walk to Disneyparks.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Dianne5_12
JordaneVernerie, Community Manager at Explorers Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear Dianne5_12,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback after your visit at the Explorers hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you had a pleasant time with us. The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back!

melbourne
Reviewed 5 July 2014

We stayed here as a group of 13, with 8 adults and 5 kids. The rooms are good, a fridge would have been great and there is only a fan so if the weather were a bit hotter it would have been too hot I think. However, it was clean and had everything you really need….my friends room had a broken light and no soap..which took 2 nights there, with a request each day before it was finally replaced tho. Breakfast was good, it was included in our price and really had all the continental stuff you need…except good coffee…although on this holiday we are sort of used to that!!! We are definately spoilt in Australia!!! Here's a big tip…we went to disneyland both days and the food situation there is DIABOLICAL…i mean INSANITY…a third of the restaurants were closed and what was open had lines so insanely long it took us about 45mins to get a crepe…we did see after leaving there were restaurants outside disneyland…wish we knew before…but take a few croissants from breakfast so u can have a quick snack at disneyland with out queuing half the day. Service in this part of Paris is practically non existent….perhaps they are preparing you for the queues you will experience in disneyland…but in the hotel and the theme parks, staff moved as slow as snails. What was great at Explorers was the pool, although you have to wear speedo type bathers…which u can buy there for 12euro….was quite funny seeing my husbands reaction…and then him in the shorts!!! Hilarious!! So take some with you…no shorts at all, even for girls. Once you're in, the facilities are super fun for the kids. There is also a great indoor play land which was perfect as you can see right in, the kids play and our group of adults had a couple of drinks and got pizza's for dinner…which were pretty yummy! I didn't feel too secure there though…we heard a couple of people telling reception some items were stolen from their room, my friend put her computer in at reception while we were out…i locked them in my suitcase. The housekeeping staff ignore the do not disturb signs as half our group had these on when they left in the morn and all had made beds when they got back. Still, there are really good facilities and they let us hang around and use the facilities for a good six hours after checkout while we were waiting for our flight…there is great locked luggage storage facilities. The price is really fantastic for the area. Be careful of the outside playground, our friends son was climbing when the bolt came out and he fell to the ground on his head…could have been bad…thankfully it wasn't…however the manager on duty didn't seem to fussed. Two other things…..rooms are very noisy..,if you have kids you are probably used to noise….but the worst thing…seriously seriously bad WIFI. They say they have it…..but if you are planning on working while the kids are asleep…it won't happen.
All in all…I would definitely research other hotels before I booked explorer again…but I wouldn't rule out going there again if I could get it really cheap, as we did this time. Kids loved it!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank julie a
Dear julie a,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience after your visit at the Explorers Hotel.

It is a great pleasure to read that you enjoyed our rooms, breakfast, swimming pool and that you found the hotel was good value for money. I have noted your concerns regarding the WiFi, this will be reported to our IT department.

Your satisfaction is our top priority so comments like yours are valuable as they help us improve the quality of our service.

The entire team hopes to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the future so you can try some of our activities as the XD motion theater.

Hastings, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My husband and I stayed for just one night here. Having stayed at a few if the Disney hotels before, we have learned to never expect too much,

This hotel has really clean rooms, staff are very friendly and it's very easy to get around.

Given the theme and location, it is full of excited children. Not an issue, but there is rubbish lining stair ways and around the pool and dining area.

The dining area is nothing to write home about. Everything was closed when we visited at around 5/6 and did not look at all appealing.

We had the buffet breakfast, which , like most of the Disney hotels, is very limited. Pastries, meats, salad(??), cheeses and cereal. It was a mess. Milk all over the cereal counter, people having a genuine fight over the toaster. The glasses for juice were filthy, making us have to use mugs to have a drink with,

The vending machines are just outside the gift shop, so you can still grab a drink or snack when everything else is closed. It does only take coins, not cards or notes.

Overall, if you are going there JUST to sleep, it is totally fine. Anything else... I'd possibly look at the Cheyenne,

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear louise l,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review after your visit at the Explorers Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a good experience with us and that you enjoyed the location. I will share your comments with our team as your opinion continuously helps us improve the quality of our service.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014 via mobile

good points; Very very good hotel! Family friendly, & close enough to Eurodisney to make distance unimportant, plus it benefits from the free shuttle service to the park!!

Bad points; needs some updating and decorating. Can't take food to your room and room service????? Shops inside the hotel were ludicrously expensive.

All said though, we will be back.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank daddysherriff
JordaneVernerie, Community Manager at Explorers Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear daddysherriff,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience after your visit at the Explorers Hotel.

I am delighted to read that you had a pleasant time with us ! Please note that although there is no room service on the hotel, you can take away pizzas to your room from the Marco's pizzeria.

The entire team looks forward to welcoming you back.

London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I booked this hotel as my son loved pirates, he had no idea we were going to Disneyland for his 5th birthday.
when we got off the Euro his eyes lit up, we waited less than 10 minutes for the shuttle to the hotel and it was always free, when we got in to the hotel he just couldn't believe his eyes, pirates everywhere he was in heaven.
The only one problem i encountered was the heat in the room, we had to keep the fan on all night and open the window to try and circulate cool air.
My son loved the swimming pool,he spent most of the time in hotel swimming,and he was allowed to use the water slides as long as he had arm bands on, the hotels rules on swim wear left a lot to be desired, men and women have to ware the trunks and bikinis provided, and they are not cheap, they would not let me in with my own swimming shorts.
The ship and the octopus he loved too, i could have easily have taken him to this hotel without going to Disneyland and he wouldn't have cared.
The other kids play areas were good too, the jungle area is huge and very safe, there is only one entrance/exit, so i could have a few pints and relax whilst he was in there, the tall glass walls meant i could see him and he could show off to me.
I would recommend this hotel to any family with young boys who love pirates, be warned though at 5 euros for a can of coke, best take your own, however with that being said, the fruit juices are very tasty and more reasonably priced, the home made pizzas are a must.
I would definitely go back with him.
There are definitely better hotels in Disneyland, but not at this price, money well spent.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Peter B
JordaneVernerie, Community Manager at Explorers Hotel, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Peter B,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about the Explorers Hotel after your visit in the Explorers Hotel.

It is great to learn that you had a nice time with us and that your child enjoyed our numerous activities and play areas.

Once again thank you for your positive feedback. The entire team hopes to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon!

ireland
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The check-in took lot of time. Got a deal for Disneyland park tickets (3 days for the price of 2 ) from this hotel. Regular shuttles to and fro DLP was the best part. Breakfast offers a variety of breads, croissants, ham, turkey, cereals, juice, etc. We even made some sandwiches to take to the park. Coffee/tea bags were provided only on the first day of our stay in the room. The swimming pool looked very promising. But the first day we went there, there was a big piece of poop floating around and the staff had to close the pool for cleaning. But it was not the hotel's fault but couldn't understand how anyone would do that. So didn't go to the pool after that. The indoor and outdoor play area good for small kids. The restaurants have a set menu but ok for a short stay. Baggage storage handy as we left our bags there after checking out and spent the whole day at DLP as we had a flight to catch late in the night. Would go again if we get a good deal.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Dear irelandshootingstar,

Many Thanks for taking some of your valuable time to share your experience after your visit at the Explorers Hotel.

I am delighted to learn that you had a nice time with us and and look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Jordane VERNERIE
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magny-le-Hongre
Vienna House Dream Castle Paris
Radisson Blu Hotel at Disneyland Paris
Kyriad A Disneyland Paris
Kyriad A Disneyland Paris
#6 of 8 in Magny-le-Hongre

Been to Explorers Hotel? Share your experiences!