“A really lovely, relaxing family night away”
Review of Fota Island Resort

Fota Island Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Kilkenny
“A really lovely, relaxing family night away”
Reviewed 2 April 2014

On driving past the gate lodge you are greeted by a beautiful drive in entrance full of mature trees. On entering the hotel we were greeted by Sean the Concierge, an extremely friendly and helpful gentleman. The most gorgeous flower display of white orchards, chrysanthemum and lilies catches your eye immediately. The receptionist that dealt with us, while extremely efficient and polite unfortunately did not have Sean friendless or welcome. She never once actually looked at us through the whole check in process, not even when she got up to direct us to the lift. Our bedroom was gorgeous and large with a lovely little separate bed for herself, which she was delighted with. The rain shower and large bath in the bathroom are to die for. Again we did not meet the friendliest girl at the reception of the spa area. I asked about treatments but was told straight away that all was booked out. I wasn’t offered any options for another day, at this stage she did not know if I was there for one night or a week! I could have stayed in the Hydrotherapy Pool forever......it was just marvellous and so relaxing (this is of course if you love water). The pool was also lovely; however the times are set for kids was extremely awkward to work around – 9am to 11am and 4pm to 6pm. Breakfast is only served to 10am. So therefore in the morning you can’t bring children for a swim before breakfast, or if, like us you arrive at approx 2pm the day before and want to bring the kids for a swim, you really can’t do anything else that evening as you are tied to a time. The sun was shining on our arrival but since we were caught with the swimming time, we decided to go to the zoo the day after....unfortunately it was lashing rain so we couldn’t go. Therefore we missed out on our Zoo trip. Also the kid’s swimming pool was not open. On the second day there was a lovely lady called Kim working in the Spa and she couldn’t do enough, this mad up for our greeting the day before. We ate in the bar at night and were served by a really friendly waiter who went out of his way to be helpful...unfortunately I cannot remember his name. We were delighted with breakfast...my husband had his porridge and fry and I had the great selection of fruit, seeds and juices. However yet again, the head waiter seating the guests was not friendly...a smile doesn’t cost anything and means a lot to people on their holidays! Overall we thoroughly enjoyed our stay, everything was spotless and relaxing. The only point I would fault them on is as I mentioned earlier some of the staff while respectful, could offer a smile or a touch of welcome.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank IndigoflowerIreland
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 28 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave your comments regarding your recent stay at Fota Island Resort. I will be sure to pass on your kind comments to Sean, he is one of the many beloved concierge we have at the hotel! Your points regarding the Children's pool hours are interesting, and I have forwarded your opinions on to our Spa Manager.

Thank you again for your review, and we hope we can welcome you back in the future.

John O’Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (256)
Westward Ho, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Another fabulous two weeks at Fota island staying in a Courtyard Lodge so clean,well equipped,stylishly furnished and very very comfortable beds.Lovely staff,so helpful and friendly.Its little details like remembering our names from last visit which make stay so special.Such a warm welcome from the wonderful Sean who could not be more helpful.Lovely receptionists.Great facilites and staff at the Spa.Eat at the Spike Bar at the golf club.Delicious food and more relaxed and friendly than the Amber Lounge.Edel is so kind and with Mark and the Girls offers excellent customer service. Thank you all so much,cannot wait until the next time.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Carolyn H
I am pleased to learn you enjoyed all aspects of your stay at Fota Island Resort. We often find that Edel and Mark get great compliments from many of our guests. I will personally extend your compliments to them! We look forward to your return visit in the future.

Thank you for taking time to leave your kind review.

Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 April 2014

My third stay in 6 months at the Fota Island Resort and I continue to enjoy the experience. The new owners are spending some money on some landscaping improvements but it may be time to address some interior shortcomings. Carpet in the hallways is showing its age and the bedside lamps are literally falling apart at the touch but I still like the decor and the quality of food and drink remains top notch.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
Thank you for your comments and feedback as well as for being a loyal guest. Thank you also for your complements on our food and beverage services at Fota Island resort. I have forwarded your suggestions on to the appropriate staff members.

We look forward to your next visit with us.

Kind regards,
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

We got to spend 1 night in Fota this past weekend, was looking forward to this break with my husband without kids for a while. We didn't get to check in till 4pm and was told by the receptionist that she didn't think our room was ready after going behind she then proceeded to switch our room to another. I personally thought she should have said nothing at first as my initial thought was surely when check in is at 3 that surely 1 hour later the room would be ready.

The room itself was we thought very average, bathroom was beautiful but I have stayed in much nicer rooms. I made a coffee in the room before we went for food and was a bit disappointed to see that they hadn't even supplied nibbles of any sort . We recently stayed in a 3/4 star hotel in Cork and they supplied beautiful crafted biscuits which I would certainly expect from a 5 star hotel.

When we were checking in the receptionist asked us if we would be eating In the hotel. We said yes that we would probably aim for the bar food as the Munster match would be on and we could watch this. She told us the bar stops serving food at 7 and we would want to be eating before 6 as it would be very busy. I asked about the restaurant but was told earliest seating was 9.15 which is too late, no happy medium. We proceeded to feel under pressure about eating so we actually went to the Rising Tide nearby which was superb & was able to watch the match also.

When we got back we went into the bar ordered table serve, the bartender wasn't the most efficient he never asked us if we wanted a bill or charge to room. It was extremely warm in the bar so had to move out to the lobby. Again another bar member never asked us for a room no etc, only for myself making it my business to go up to them and get it charged I reckon we would have never have been charged. The barstaff really were in their own world for most of the night as other couples around us also had issues.

Breakfast was superb and was served by a extremely friendly young girl.

Overall I won't class the hotel as 5 star when you compare it to other Cork hotels of lower grading and what other local 5 stars offer. But after all that it was great to have a night away as a couple.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank EBDCork
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 8 April 2014
Thank you for taking time to leave your feedback and review of our facilities and services. I apologise that your experience at Fota Island Resort was not up to your expectations. I have forwarded your comments on to the appropriate staff to improve upon our service in the future.

Thank you again for your feedback and reviews. We hope you will return to us again in the future to experience that 5 Star service that Fota Island Resort is usually synonymous with.

Clare
Reviewed 31 March 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a one night stay in Fota Island Resort. From start to finish our break was superb. We were on a deal and it did not make any difference to the service we received.
Upon arrival the receptionist could not have been more helpful, it was a breath of fresh air to deal with such a professional. Our room was was very comfortable, with a really spacious bathroom. The shower is pure bliss. We had a travel cot with us and there was plenty of room.
The bar was crowded when we went down for some food in the evening, however we were seated in the restaurant and could choose either the bar or restaurant menu. We had the goats cheese starter from the bar menu and the cheese plate from the restaurant menu. The food was delicious, one of the best goats cheese starters I've had in a long time!! We could not fault a thing. There was a wait for our food due to pressure In the kitchen. We were advised of this straight away and received a complementary sorbet as a result.
The following morning we had a late check out, such a treat. Got to use the pool a little rest and check out in comfort. The service throughout our stay was top class. I am so looking forward to returning again.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your time spent at Fota Island Resort. Thank you for all of your kind comments and feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

John O'Flynn
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 31 March 2014

We stayed here for a 1 night get away. We were greeted by a lovely girl at reception and were upgraded to a junior suite, which had wonderful views of the golf course. The thermal suite was dissapointing with only a sauna ( which was not functioning) and a steam room. Dinner was absolutely delicious. One complaint I would have to make is that is every room was very dimly lit, so much so we had to use a candle to read the drinks menu in the bar. A little piano music wouldnt go astray either as the bar was very quiet. The breakfast in the morning was a buffet with a menu also available. There was plenty of everything, but I didn't like the idea of going into the bar from the restaurant to get the buffet food. Overall had an enjoyable stay but I feel this hotel lacks a bit of character.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BerOShea
Thank you for your feedback and comments. I'm delighted you were able to avail in one of our Junior Suites as they are just lovely!

We strive to improve our services based upon our guest’s suggestions, and I will pass along all your comments to the appropriate staff. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Kind Regards,
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights.The hotel grounds looked wonderful on the drive in and we were not disappointed when we entered the hotel either-it was very elegant indeed, one minor fault though was signage for the reception.
There were 5 desks in the lobby and all had people waiting at them.
We chose the wrong one but were swiftly directed to the correct queue for checking in.
We stayed in room143 and it was indeed a beautiful room complete with large bathroom with walk-in shower (the shower connoisseur raved about it) and the room also had a balcony facing the woods.
Late afternoon & we decided to have a drink in the bar.
I use the term bar loosely as it’s more of a lounge area with one tiny tv hidden behind some doors. Anyhow I was soon informed that I could only sit at the bar itself as all the seating was booked. If I or my wife wished to use the seating we would have to book them! Our only option was to sit at the bar and although friendly, some of the bar staff serving were not what you might call quick or proficient at their work. More than once that w/e did we have to return pints because they were flat & the staff themselves also seemed to be more focused on serving the people who had booked tables.
That night myself & my wife managed to get a table in the bar. The food was lovely but was pricey for what we got-small portions oversized plates.The following night we had a large family meal & nobody had any complaints.
Next day most of the family used the swimming pool and we had no complaints here either.
On our last day we ventured to the golf course club house.
It had a similar décor to the hotel “bar” but was not as crowded; best of all though was it also had proper sized meals on proper sized plates with reasonable prices.
Overall, everybody had an enjoyable stay but I do wish they had a proper bar-hope things improve for the golf.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank rodzer
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 1 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our facilities and services. I am delighted you enjoyed the amenities on offer within the hotel, but I am disappointed to learn your experience at the Amber Lounge did not meet your expectations. I apologise that you did not experience the exceptional service in the Amber Lounge that is usually synonymous with all of our dining options. I have forwarded your concerns to our Senior Management team for their attention.

Thank you again for your comments and feedback,

John O'Flynn
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!