“Not up to Five Stars”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Fota Island
Dungarvan, Ireland
“Not up to Five Stars”
Reviewed 4 August 2014

My stay in this Resort Hotel was fine but not up to the standard which i would expect from a 5 Star Hotel. The rooms were excellent and the leisure centre a little above average. Breakfast was good but I was disappointed with the bar food. It was average fare and expensive for what I got. I was lucky in my choice from the menu; what one or two others in our party left lots to be desired. On our second night there we ate at the nearby Golf Club restaurant where we found the food, service and value to be up to standard. All in all, the impression which i got was that something is missing in Fota; maybe it's the attention to detail and the realisation that in a five star establishment a five star standard is expected.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank John L
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. I am delighted that you found your accommodation was to your liking. Thank you for your comments regarding your dining experience. I apologise it was not up the standards you expected. We do receive a great deal of praise for our dining facilities. Your comments have been noted and I hope you will return again to see that they have been taken on board.

John O' Flynn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Kildare, Ireland
Reviewed 4 August 2014 via mobile

I stayed in fota for three nights the location is superb with fantastic views. Staff were 11 out if 10. From first arrival to leaving, Will and Hazel and the extended staff couldn't have done anymore for us it truly was a fantastic stay, we were attending my sisters wedding and had family and friends and our daughter with us. Great place for a relaxing getaway take a trip to the spa and relax or go to the fota island park which has a little train running from the hotel also a kids club is available. From 10 am to 3 pm daily. Friends of outs also stayed in the lodges superb. Dinner in the amber lounge is great and also food in the golf club is second to none, not forgetting the main hotel itself fantastic, with the lads making use of the golf course and the ladies the spa area it truly is a wonderful place to stay and I would highly reccomend it and will definitely be staying again.

• Stayed July 2014
fotaisland01, Manager at Fota Island Resort, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. Thank you for your kind words, I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our staff strive to provide the best possible service to all guests. I have passed on your kind comments to Hazel and Will. I am delighted that you were able to avail of the Spa facilities. We frequently receive a great deal of praise for these facilities. I look forward to your return visit.

cork
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Only stayed one night here and wished we could have stayed longer. On check-in we were told we were being upgraded to a suite to say we were happy was an understatement, the suite was WOW. With an active 1 year old it was great to have so much space. My husband and I also used the spa which was fab and relaxing .The food was great and so much choice especially the breakfast, we were a bit worried that the hotel being 5 star would it be child friendly but we need not have worried they really catered for kids and esp it the food area, it was so busy with children they ran out of high chairs at breakfast!!.If there was one fault we could find it was the pool ..it was absolutely freezing including the baby pool which was disappointing as our 1 year old freaked out at the cold.But overall it was a fab relaxing night away we will be returning.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank fifi24cork
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Resort. We feel it is important to cater to guests of all ages and I am glad that you found our hotel so child friendly. I am also delighted that you enjoyed your meals at the Resort, I have passed on your kind comments to the Food and Beverage team. I have passed on your comments regarding the pool and please be assured that our Spa Manager will take this on board.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Fota hotel declares itself a 5 star property on it's web site. I think it has the potential to be such a resort but falls short as of today. The hotel is beautiful and has some get facilities. , a wonderful spa , beautiful restaurants and nice rooms. It falls short of 5 star in a number if areas , attention to detail in terms of common areas isn't five star and while the staff are very very friendly the service in the restaurants and bar is not five star.
It's not bad but it's not five star , examples seat for breakfast and waited 15 minutes to take a tea of coffee order despite the number if staff almost equalling the number of guests , same issue in bar , lots of staff but service poor. Not sure if lack of training is the issue ? Same in Spa , staff nice but noting special in terms of service ,
There was one glowing exception , the cove restaurant in the hotel , 5 star without a doubt ! Superb service , super food wonderful experience . If this level of service could be rolled out to the other areas it wily be a five star resort.
Overall I enjoyed my stay , I would go back and I would recommend it
My comments above are based simply based on a star rating.
If you love golf the course is amazing by the way.
Overall 4 star on it's way to five star with few tweaks

Stayed August 2014
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. I am sorry to hear that your time with us did not live up to your expectations. However I have noted your comments and passed them onto the relevant managers. I am delighted that you enjoyed your dining experience at The Cove. We are overjoyed to have re-opened The Cove for the summer season and thrilled with all of the positive feedback we have received. Our Executive Chef Craig Coady has developed a superb menu for our guests. I hope you will return again.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

For a 5 star resort, amenities like AC in the rooms would be nice. The modern rooms and bathrooms were awesome. It's location to Cobh, Middleton, and Cork are great. Grounds seemed very nice, after walking and exploring the nearby cities, we were too tired to explore the grounds.

Pools and exercise rooms close at 8pm. For some reason I though we would be able to see the wildlife park from the hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Erick L
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. Thank you for your kind comments on your accommodation, I am delighted you found this was to your liking. We do have air conditioning facilities in all of our rooms. I hope you will return again.

Newbridge, Ireland
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Our family took a lodge on the fota resort estate last week for 7 days. We had a wonderful time. The facilities are excellent with a good pool, great spa, fantastic golfing and extensive quality dining options. The kids camp is superb and they also put on activities for younger and older kids. Our house was very well appointed and spotless. The beds were comfy and the area peaceful and private. There is lots to do in the area with cork city right beside you, beaches, fishing villages and crafts all within easy reach and the wildlife park next door is brilliant so everyone is catered for whatever the weather. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone, from couples to families. Some issues: checkin was an hour and half late and it's not good enough to be told to come back every 15 mins when an honest "it'll be an hour at least" would have allowed us to get a meal for the kids. This was really annoying. We had no hot water for one day and I think the boiler was overdue a service. Also, the pool is only available 9-12 and 4-6 for kids and I think this is unreasonable in the summer months particularly if the weather is poor. Wifi is really poor around the resort and for a facility of this quality, free reliable fast wifi should be a given.
Suggestion: when ordering food from the clubhouse for the lodges, the food should be delivered as it can be hard to get back up to the clubhouse with a posse of kids.

Room Tip: The lodges are the way to go for families.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Fota Lodges. Thank you for your kind comments, I have passed these onto the lodge supervisor. I am delighted that you would recommend the Resort to others. It is always a pleasure to hear this feedback. I apologise for the issue with the boiler and wifi. I have passed these comments onto the relevant manager and please be assured that your comments are taken on board. I hope you will return again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The resturant here is not of good standard. Food is poor and its pricey. I brought family here on one occasion and did not have good experience, poor food and service and expensive. On anothe roccasion we brough business clients here for breakfast and I was appalled by food served, they did not complain but I felt is was just courtesy, so wont be going back again. Go next door to the golf club for a decent enough lunch

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank 6today
Thank you for your review of Fota Island Resort. I am sorry that you did not enjoy your dining experiences at the hotel. We frequently receive a great deal of praise for our dining services. We have recently reopened The Cove restaurant for the Summer which is an adults-only venue and have received a great deal of positive feedback. However your comments have been noted and I have forwarded them onto the Food and Beverage Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fota Island
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Fota Island Resort? Share your experiences!