“Missed our flight. Better than we could have hoped for.”
Review of Hotel Corallo

Hotel Corallo
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Fregene
Atlanta, Georgia
“Missed our flight. Better than we could have hoped for.”
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We missed our flight out of the FCO airport after a cruise and I picked this hotel because it was cheap and had a decent rating on KAYAK. I had no idea what to expect. We were very pleasantly surprised. Is it the Ritz? No. But it's right across the street from the beach which I also didn't know when I booked it. Now if you just check in and stay in your room you may be slightly underwhelmed. I wouldn't call it dated but like I said, not the Ritz. The rooms were clean with flat screen tv's (that have usb ports on the back to charge your phone) and we had a killer view of the ocean. There was also free wi-fi in the lobby which I really really needed.

Where this little hotel on the beach shines is in its people. We couldn't believe the service. Literally shocked. As soon as we arrived we decided to have a cappuccino and a bottle of water large enough for us all. The waiter asked if we would like anything to snack on. We declined. Next thing you know he brings us a plate of piping hot "donut holes" that are heaven. Literally like they stole Krispy Kreme's recipe but sprinkled with sugar instead of being glazed. Amazing! Four cafes, a free plate of donuts and a large bottle of water later we were out 8 euros. What a relief after being price gouged for a week. That was only the beginning. We had ordered one room for four people seeing a how we were just looking for a place to crash. Since one was not available he gave us two double rooms for the price of one. We were thrilled.

Being Americans we were then looking for a place to eat around 5 pm. That's a no no in Italy. Nothing opens for dinner until around 7:30. The guy behind the counter offers to give us a ride to the nearest pizza place. We were amazed at his generosity but declined since my father in law had had his fill of pizza. We ended up eating at the hotel when it opened at 7:30. Before our dinner had arrived we were delivered bread with butter, bread with olive oil on top, and bread with olive oil and tomato slices. Excellent! For free. I had the pizza which I could only eat half of after all the fantastic bread. The in laws had the hamburger steak which was very very good and my wife had the pasta which I found a little bland. I didn't really pay attention to the price because they put it on the room but when we checked out the next morning the total for our stay was 135 euros. Crazy.

Can't really comment on the breakfast. We had to be out of there by 6:30 am to catch the next flight but the gentleman behind the counter was happy to make us morning cafes from the bar and they left out some croissants and cake I assume were strictly for us since we told them we were leaving early. Breakfast was included in the price.

This place is not the Ritz. You shouldn't expect it to be at this price. The people were unbelievable though.

If I had to give any constructive criticism, I would say invest in some better towels. They weren't bad but they reminded me of really large cloth place mats.

I would easily stay here again. Especially for the price. It really felt like a family run hotel and the service can't be over exaggerated.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank cuda52774

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 5 December 2012

After booking this hotel I decided to tripadvisor the hotel and I could not believe what I was reading, they honestly put me off and I honestly very nearly pulled out of the trip. When I go on holiday I usually vacate in no less than 4 star hotels so after looking at pictures of the hotel itself and declaring it was something that looked like a mixture of flowerpots and an apartment building in a war stricken country I decided I would hate the hotel before I had even visited.
When arriving at the hotel I was very surprised as we were a large group of young adults we took up all available rooms on the top floor we were seen to immediately and given out room cards and helped upstairs with our bags, our room was very clean, fresh and tidy, the tv was an LCD and digital and the toilet passed my very high toilet standards.
We stayed half board so we had breakfast which is a buffet style, don't be alarmed by the 'red orange juice' as it's only blood oranges and it's very nice, the only downside to dinner was that because I am a vegetarian my starter was always pasta and tomato sause and my main was either cheese and potato or chips and a vegeburger, but they were both eatable yet repetitive.
The only real bad point to this hotel was the fact that our room door never actually locked, when we mentioned it to reception not long after we checked in they said they'd get it fixed the next morning, it never was and for the whole week we stayed there it never locked even though there was the mechanical lock and a manual lock, we were all able to freely walk in at any given time - although it's pretty good as there was four of us and only one key card - yet even though I'm very sheltered and like to feel like I'm protected I never once felt like my safty was put at risk which is something that doesn't happen often.
I wouldn't recommend this to family's who want some quiet time as the place is quite loud as it has pool partys with loud music and I know a lot of high schools use it for educational holidays, there's also two pubs a stones throw away, but other than that it was actually very very nice to stay in and I would actually go back.
I would stress to you that make your own judgements rather than those below and up above me because I was very presently surprised!

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank Ndaenfsg
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 October 2012

Absolultley terrible. Got given a plate of cereal for breakfast with a plastic cup of red orange juice. For dinner they gave us every type of tomato pasta then some form of 'meat'. The rooms were dispicable and the maids were very rude. The staff were lovely. If you want tomato pasta every night and a dribble of water for a shower then I recommend this hotel. But if not, then DO NOT STAY HERE.

Room Tip: Go for the left side of the hotel.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank melissa m

Travellers are raving about these Fregene hotels

Atlanta Georgia
Reviewed 9 October 2012

We chose this hotel for only 1 night because of our early flight out of Rome airport the next morning. The Hilton was to expensive in our opinion and The Marriott was full. (We wanted to use Marriott Reward points for a free night. We had a rental car and I do not think there is a shuttle service in the morning for the airport. It was easy to find and just across the street from the beach.The staff was excellent! Stefano was very welcoming on our arrival. He even helped me bring up the baggage to our room. He allowed us to look at the room first and brought us extra sheets and pillows. Then there was Max. He was GREAT also. He helped our family by getting a fan for us.(There was a problem with one of the air conditioners in our room.) We left early in the morning before breakfast, so he made us some coffee and a little "to-go" breakfast snack. The staff are just very kind people and seem to truly want you to be happy. I would stay here again for only one night because my three kids (12, 10, and 7) enjoyed the pool and the beach so much after weeks of museums and tours.

Room Tip: The family room had beds for all 5 of us...I think it was room 306. We were facing the ocean with a...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank RoadSchoolers
Phila
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Horrible!!! We picked this hotel for our last night stay in italy because on the map it looked to be close to the airport. What a big mistake! This was one of the worst hotels I EVER stayed in.

Room was dirty, hot, air conditioning did not work at all - all it did was rattle and drip water straight on my son's bed. There was also mildew under the AC. The hotel itself is old, dirty, and very noisy. There was a loud pool party going on way past 2AM and this was a weekday! I couldn't even open the window, as it was impossible to sleep with all the noise outside.

The surroundings are poor, there's absolutely nothing nearby, the area itself is dirty, and there are prostitutes lining the roads leading to/from the hotel. I do not know how it got 3 stars - in USA it would not have a single star or be alowed to be open - it's a filthy, run-down dump not suitable for humans.

On top of it, it has huge antennas on the roof that will probably make you glow in the dark from all the radiation. And to make things worse - it took us 30 minutes to get to the airport even though it looks like it's only 6KM away. The only good thing about it was that we only had it reserved for 1 night before leaving Italy and the fact that we were able to avoid staying in this hotel during the day. On a plus side - were able to get up early, as we could not sleep in the hot, noisy, filthy room and very happy to leave.

Save yourself money and frustration - stay elsewhere.

This is not a hotel - it is a total S#!+ Hole - stay away!

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank karluccio
Vail, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We stayed here on our last night in Europe. We chose it for the close proximity to Fiumicino Airport, which turns out is still a cab ride away. I wouldn't change a thing about our stay though as we spent the day on the beach and had an amazing sunset for our last night. The hotel is basic, but again- right on the beachfront. Hotel restaurant had great food for the price and excellent service. We enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adam B
Ceatharlach, Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 19 March 2012

This is THE WORST hotel ive ever stayed in. I went as part of a school tour , at first it seemed nice and clean , but after a day or so i noticed tht the room was very shabby, it had a bunk bed in it that was like it was out of a prison , the bathroom had no lock , and the front door didnt close propperly. The breakfast was a joke it was either a roll or a PLATE of cereal , there was no bowls offered.For dinner we were given tuna pasta witch was nice and main course was "meat" we didnt acctually know what kind of meat it was or even wich animal it came off of! and the second night we had "chicken" that looked like road kill instead of mystery meat.The pool had cigerette buts and all sorts of dirt in it. At brakefast the staff would raise there voice at me and my friends if we wanted more than half a "glass" (they gave us disposable cups for everything) of orange . There was a pub directlt accross the road from my room wich kept me awake .... AVOID THIS HOTEL it is more like a hostel

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank DUGGIE96
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fregene
La Conchiglia
#21 of 23 in Fiumicino
Hotel La Genziana
Hotel La Genziana
#442 of 1,259 in Rome

Been to Hotel Corallo? Share your experiences!