“Great lodge, great restaurant, great time”
Review of Red Cliff Lodge

Red Cliff Lodge
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 11 June 2013

We spent two weeks traveling all over Ireland, and this is one of our favorite places. The restaurant served about the best lamb meal I have ever had, the room was clean, very nice, and I would highly recommend this motel to anyone who goes to Spanish Point in Ireland.

1  Thank LawyerJim
There are newer reviews for Red Cliff Lodge

Reviewed 29 May 2013

This was the second time I did some quality testing here, now I tried the lunch menu. The choice menu was exceptionally cheap (€26 per person) for a three course lunch.

The food was classic with a modern twist and of a very high standard. One of the company requested a dairy free dessert, which was not on the card. The chef clearly was challenged by it and made a wonderful and varied plate for her, as it seems without blinking an eye.

The waitress was attentive but very much in the background. Clearly a waitress selected on quality.

1  Thank EddyLandzaat
Reviewed 6 May 2013 via mobile

The food and setting are lovely, but unfortunately the service really lets them down, the basics weren't done right, from the serving of the food, laying and changing the cutlery, informing us that sorbet was raspberry when in fact it was beetroot (which was free) very slow service, we weren't offered more wine or drinks we had to ask. I may be being a little picky but I just expected better.

I would really love if time was taken to properly train the staff as the red cliff restaurant would be a real gem, the standard if food is great for a reasonable price.

1  Thank Elaine G
John O, Owner at Red Cliff Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2013

Dear Elaine G,

Firstly I would like to apologise for the service you received on your recent visit to our restaurant. We do our best to exceed our customer expectations but obviously fell well short of the mark on this occasion.
While your review and heading is obviously very damaging to my business and is our first bad Restaurant review in the two years we have been open, I fully accept we have to take the bad with the good.
I do also feel it necessary to add some balance to your review having looked into it and having made contact. The night in question was the Saturday of the May bank holiday and your very pleasant friend Gemma called in at 5.30pm to see if we could fit your table for 8pm. I advised her that 8pm was very busy and if at all possible to make it as close to 7.30pm as that would be very much appreciated, she was grateful that we were able to accommodate you. That evening all our early bookings arrived late and many of the late bookings arrived early, I ended up with over 40 guests arriving to the restaurant in a five minute period including yourselves, which made for a very challenging service. I find your review and heading harsh taking the circumstances outlined above and especially having fitted you in as best I could so late in the day.

I fully accept your point relating to staff training and as it is the very beginning of our season this is ongoing and of vital importance. If you ever wish to return to Red Cliff Lodge please contact me directly at jomeara@redclifflodge.ie and I will do everything possible to make your return visit a more enjoyable one.

Kind Regards

John O’Meara
Proprietor

Reviewed 1 May 2013

The manager greeted us very professionally and welcoming. We were shown to our rooms which were really beautiful and very clean. We were told the breakfast pastries would arrive later. The fridge has milk, orange juice, yogurt. When We went into the Bedroom it was very cold, even though there was a heater there. The Bathroom was like stepping into a fridge, There were no heaters in the bathroom. So I decided to have a shower, the Water was Ice Cold! Felt cold & frustrated, we told the young lady cleaning the other lodges., The manager walked into the lodge,and turned the timer immersion. This is truly very sad that in 20th Century,Small Hotels or guesthouses, etc. have domestic immersions, as we all know how long it take s to heat up the water. Plus there were 4 of us and all the water was gone when I had a shower!!!!! However he explained he forgot to put the water on. I found this ( & the freezer Bathroom) the only poor part of the stay but really the most important part as when you are travelling you are tired and cold after sitting so long in the car...Although the manager gave us a small heater extra when I told him the room was cold his small heater did not heat up the room. This room we had was the Executive Room? It was beautiful, but I would not go back there, unfortunately.
I would like to give my full compliments to the Restaurant. The food was exquisite, very tasteful and the service were attentive. The ambience was warm.It was well worth almost staying in the cold rooms for such a wonderful evening in the restaurant.

2  Thank Charlotte D
Reviewed 14 April 2013

I was treated to a great nite away last month by my husband, he booked this lodge by the sea ! We were greeted by the owner and shown around our lodge. It was so spacious, fire was lit and it was so comfy. We ate in the restaurant which was great food, servers were very friendly. Breakfast is continental, food left in room and fridge, so u help yourself wherever suits u, I love this idea ! I loved the sea views from room,though it was freezing cold ŵe went for a very short beach stroll. I would love to return again. .