“Spectacular views”
Review of Armada Hotel

Armada Hotel
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Spanish Point
Reviewed 21 February 2014 via mobile

The reason we went was because of a great deal,the reason we 'll be going back will be the great staff!My 10yr old daughter and her friend loved the hot chocolate that they got on arrival and the complimentary cookery class from the chef.We went into Milltown Malby to check out the restaurants but decided on returning to the hotel.We looked at the main restaurant but thought it was a bit expensive for us so we went into the bar which was packed!We got really good sea trout and fish and chips.The kids had great pasta beside the fire.My husbands steak was the only let down but the staff more than compensated for this.The bar man was great crack,the waiter lovely,front of house extremely friendly,the breakfast waiting staff very helpful,all a total credit to the hotel!

Stayed: February 2014
Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 18 February 2014

Stayed for 1 night booked using a voucher.Had a great room with a stunning sea view.The room had plenty of space and lots of full length mirrors which I loved. Had dinner in the bar. Had the chicken curry which was excellent and the recomended cider was very nice.Hubby had steak pie which was also very good. Earlier had coffee which came with great home made biscuits so was looking forward to dessert. Apple crumble would recomend.Breakfast was very good plenty of choice and very helpfull staff. Was my 1st visit but it won't be my last.next time stay longer.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 15 February 2014

Just returned from a three night stay at the Armada Hotel in Spanish Point and all I can say is WOW!
Everything from the check in right through to checking out was fantastic.
The staff (reception/front office staff, cleaning staff, bar staff, breakfast room staff, chefs, etc. all fantastic)

Our room was so clean, very spacious and great views of the sea. Lovely modern décor and a big cosy bed. Our bathroom was also spotless and very spacious with a separate shower to the bath. We stayed in room number 192. And it was ideal for us as we had our baby daughter with us and the spacious room was greatly appreciated.

Breakfast every morning was really great. A good choice of everything on offer and a lovely sea view was a bonus too.

The food in the bar was to die for. Whoever the chef is, he/she is amazing. Some of the best food we have had in a very long time and the presentation of the food is fantastic. The bar staff are so friendly and helpful and they really go out of their way for you.
The bar is a lovely cosy old Irish style pub/bar, lovely open fire and trad music in the background...Fantastic

We attended a wedding here back in 2008 and 6 years later, the same high standard is still maintained if not better. Usually hotels go downhill after a few years but not here.

We will most definitely be returning here this year.. and I have it recommended to my parents and friends to visit aswel.

All in all, this is one fantastic hotel

Room Tip: Room 192 is on the ground floor (handy for us as we had a baby), fantastic sea & beach views, bi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 February 2014

The location is spectacular overlooking the Atlantic coast but despite really looking forward to my visit I found my stay frustrating for a whole host of reasons.....Firstly there was an event on at the hotel and I got woken up several times between 4-5am with people returning nosily to their rooms; there was no heating in my room during the late evening despite it being February and when I asked for someone to look into it, I got heating for c.15mins before it stopped again and no-one seemed that concerned about sorting it; the wifi is very limited and only really works near to reception plus there are only 3-4 TV channels that seem to work; having been told that breakfast was served from 7.30am when I turned up at 8.15am there was no hot buffet ready and had to wait for it to arrive (although the next day when there was next to no-one staying in the hotel the breakfast was ordered individually and was excellent). My experience was topped by my room being packed up for me while I was out as they had assumed I was staying only one night when I'd actually booked for 2 nights. It really annoyed me that someone had moved all my stuff. I did email the hotel after I'd returned home to let them know just how let down I felt, but 2 weeks later have yet to get a reply.
The hotel seem very focused on being a venue for big events so my advice is check first if there is something on at the hotel, because if there is it does seem to preoccupy all the staff to the potential detriment of other guests.
In the past I've stayed at the Bellbridge House Hotel nearby, it's smaller, but generally pretty good - more personal.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank MTB100
Reviewed 12 February 2014

In my tour across Ireland I stopped by this place to have a lunch.
Although is a hotel they do a very good lunch for non residents with a very reasonable price. around 10 euros per person.
The food was delicious and very big plate, specially recommended if you are sturving after a long trip.
Very good place and amazing views. I wouldn't mind to go back for one night,

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

Great value, great food for breakfast, excellect customer service. The pub is very comfortable with some nice trad music on the Saturday. The views are simply stunning. We will return in the summer and would recommend to a friend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 February 2014

As a frequent visitor to the Armada in the past, it is with great regret that I now find myself in a position where I will not return. Whilst in the past we persuaded people to try out the value at this hotel, we now go out of our way to dissuade people. They simply don't deserve the business or repeat custom.

1. Lack of hospitality:

As a customer who has been visiting the hotel twice annually for over 6 years, I am stupefied by the impoliteness and insincerity of Jerome, one of the receptionists. We have stayed in the most expensive rooms in the place and still, when it comes to booking again, no reciprocity of our loyalty is shown. I am not asking to have a free ride but the attitude you get from this particular individual makes you wonder how he ever thought that hospitality was ever an appropriate or viable career option.

Though there have been many instances of Jerome's inhospitable countenance, my last dealings with him will serve as an ice-cold reminder that this man will stop at nothing to impinge upon my country breaks. I was offered far cheaper rates by another member of staff 25 mins after Jerome had quoted us a typically skewed and extortionate rate. I understand that the hotel obviously allows flexibility in pricing for guests but why does Jerome insist upon inflating prices? particularly for repeat customers? Is he working on commission?

Thankfully, we have found a wonderful little place up the road who are only delighted to avail of the business and willing to go above and beyond to make our stay comfortable. The hotel manager himself goes out of his way to facilitate guests and is very sincere.

Thankfully this tale of woe doesn't end that badly for the Armada. The hotel itself will always do well given that it seems to host more weddings than a las Vegas Church. We always enjoyed the hotel itself finding the suites to be of particular charm but we could not tolerate what we perceived to be an injustice every time we spoke with this member of staff.

A bit of honesty, sincerity and loyalty go a long way in dealing with customers... Let us hope change will come

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
Hotel Doolin
Hotel Doolin
#2 of 4 in Doolin

Been to Armada Hotel? Share your experiences!