“Sunday Delight.”
Review of Doxford Hall Hotel

Doxford Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chathill
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Whilst i have stayed at this Hotel and the last time being in August when my Daughter had her beautiful wedding here.
However today i wanted to write a review about the Amazing Sunday lunches we often enjoy here. ( Well i debated for a long time as it would be nice to keep it a hidden secret but thats just selfish :-)
Tables set out beautifully,crisp white table cloths and napkins,gleaming glasswear,service very attentive and helpful.
Choice of two or three course lunch.
I had a soup,was undecided as all dishes sounded good.
Roast pork with crackling, yorkshires, roasties,stuffing and veg and tasty gravy.
Dark chocolate torte.
All the food was delicious and presented well and portion sizes are most generous.
We had a choice of where we would like to take our Tea/Coffee and chocolate truffles which are included in the price.There are lots of rooms even the library where this can be served.
To sum up,top notch food, service and delighful surroundings at an exceptional price.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank majorcamembers
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay (our second at the hotel) .Excellent stay, this is a fantastic hotel, very clean, great staff and in a beautiful part of the country. Looking forward to returning .

Reviewed 27 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the weekend. There was absolutely nothing to fault it. Excellent food, service and spotlessly clean. Will definitely stay again.

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay at Doxford Hall over the weekend for my sister's wedding. We stayed in the Tynemouth room and were surprised at how much space we had along with the size of the bed! We could easily have fit 4 people it was that huge! Loved the Molton Brown toiletries in the bathroom and the spa bath (although it took us a while to realise that the switch was behind the wardrobe to turn it on, I had to ask at reception as I thought it was broke). During what was a hectic weekend it was nice to retreat to the comfort of our room for a bit of relaxation. The bathrobes and slippers were also a nice touch which we used during our visits to the hotel pool. The hotel grounds are so peaceful and picturesque, it was lovely to go for a walk and explore and the perfect location for the wedding photos. We were lucky to have amazing weather over the weekend which just added to the whole experience. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. All in all we had a great weekend and only wished we could have stayed longer!

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Having just read the last few reviews I felt I had to write a review myself. My husband and I and freinds have stayed here several times and most recent on Christmas day. W e have always had excellent service from all the staff, we have stayed in several different rooms and all have been super. The food we have had could not be faulted and we would reccommend this hotel to anyone. It is well worth the money, that's why we keep going back.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank milton090
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We booked a couple of nights at this hotel recently and made it clear on the booking that we had our four year old grand daughter with us . We requested an extra bed in the room which of course was charged. When we arrived there was no bed in the room - we had to wait a little for them to sort that out. The next morning at breakfast our breakfast table was only laid for two and the staff were only expecting us . We tried to book a meal in the restaurant and we were told that because we had our excellently well behaved French grand daughter with us we would only be allowed to stay until 8pm , as they ask all children to leave at 8pm. You could forgive us for thinking that the hotel does not welcome children. We had to stay in the bar to eat - an expensive and not very good option. Very average food. The staff however apart from the blonde surly breakfast waitress were great , and very friendly to all of us. The
reception staff recommended a very good local pub the night after our bar experience and we had a much better meal there . I got the impression that this hotel makes its living from weddings and is not that interested in other guests , particularly those with children . Shame
as the setting is lovely and the location ideal for the Northumberland coast.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Darling10
DavidSHunter, General Manager at Doxford Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 March 2012

Dear Darling 10
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Doxford Hall.
Although weddings are a vital part of our business, the leisure market is equally important to us and we pride ourselves on the warmth of our northern welcome for all of our guests.
We don't have family rooms as such at the hotel but are always happy to provide extra beds upon request and I apologise if there was a slight delay in setting one up in your room.
I do not think that our polite request that younger guests dine before 8.00pm is at all unreasonable and would advise you that this is purely for the comfort and wellbeing of other diners in the restaurant.
Tables at breakfast are not generally set up or allocated for a specific room and I apologise if there was a delay whilst an extra cover was added for your grandaughter.
David Hunter - General Manager.

Reviewed 14 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel from march the 9th to the 11th and had a terrible experience whilst there, firstly the price of £1.80 for a 200ml bottle of coke was extortianate. Secondly when you are paying £155 for bed & breakfast you expect the room to be spotlessly clean but there was dust on top of wardrobes & in the folds of the curtains. Thirdly when I received my breakfast on the saturday morning my 1 rasher of bacon had a thumbnail size piece of cling film on top of it, I informed the manager and she asked me if I wanted my breakfast changed I declined as I did not want to spoil the wedding party and last but by no means least I picked up a viral infection on saturday from the inadequately cleaned pool which put me in bed for 3 days and I am still not fully recovered from this ordeal 5 days after I caught this virus at this establishment!

• Stayed: March 2012
5  Thank Dazhenda
DavidSHunter, General Manager at Doxford Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 March 2012

Dear Dazhenda
Thank you for your review following your recent stay at Doxford Hall, we value all feedback as it helps us to improve the quality of our product.
I do hope that you are now fully recovered from the viral infection. However, your claim to have caught the infection at Doxford Hall is completely unsubstantiated. Our swimming pool is meticulously cleaned and monitored not only by our own staff but also by outside agencies. It is well used by the hotel residents and also by a substantial local membership and there have been absolutely no reports of any other instances of this nature.
Although I honestly believe that our bar prices are very reasonable for a four star hotel, post mix Coca Cola is also available from our bar at £1.25 for half a pint & £2.50 for a pint. I have paid more in a pub!
We take great pride in the cleanliness of our bedrooms which are regularly deep cleaned and I am very sorry that you came accross some dust.
As with the majority of food which is served in our restaurant,breakfast is cooked to order, so we cannot understand how the cling film appeared on your bacon. But I do wish that you had felt able to take the replacement breakfast which was offered.

David Hunter - General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Chathill
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to Doxford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!