“Gets better each time.....”
Review of Doxford Hall Hotel

Doxford Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chathill
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Our third visit in as many years and probably the best yet. Beautiful, flawless room, polite and friendly staff, first class food in the restaurant and a relaxing couple of hours in the pool made for the perfect stay. The communal rooms and grounds speak for themselves. Can't recommend this place enough - the only downside was listening to the obnoxious elderly couple on the opposite side of the dining room to us, but we can't blame the hotel for that.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank david h

Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed a couple of nights, just after Easter. The hotel was fairly quiet and there were no weddings.
Our room on the ground floor was large, clean and bright - quiet and overlooking a private grassed courtyard. Very comfortable.
The bathroom was well equipped and the shower worked well. The bath was one of those flashing lights and bubble things. Didn't use it.
Food in the hotel, from a short menu, is fine for a couple of nights; well cooked and well presented. The wine list is ok too and there were some decent bottles without having to go over £25.
Doxford Hotel has some nice touches. Many will enjoy the afternoon tea ritual or a stroll in the grounds. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean and well managed.
Most of the public spaces are attractive and well furnished. The bar however is oddly Abigail's Party. And the piano needs tuning!
We used the hotel as a base from which to enjoy the wonderful coastline; Bamburgh, Craster, Dunstonburgh, Seahouses and Lindisfarne. If you've never been there, go there.
So, after spending a day with a thousand seals, under huge skies, on vast white sands, facing green and turquoise seas (yep we got the weather), Doxford Hall deluvers most of its promises.
Most? Well, the bar is a little amateur; there wasn't much evidence anyone had made the promoted cocktails and my dry martini was certainly the barman's first. But he only charged me half price!
And the beer choice was a throw back to the 1970s. A pity in a region with a thriving micro brewery industry.
And then there's the wifi. It struggles to work in a limited number of public areas and doesn't work at all in the bedrooms.
That's simply not good enough.
The staff are an asset to the hotel. Those I met seemed to enjoy their job and that's a huge plus - although one staff member was rather surly when I sent my scrambled egg breakfast back because there wasn't enough if it.
Actually, the breakfasts are actually very nice.
I've read some of the previous reviews and I confess to a suspicion the hotel may be a little different when there are weddings and wedding parties booked in - or block bookings for Christmas or special occasion dinners. But I shouldn't speculate.
We enjoyed our stay at Doxford Hall and we're glad we chose it.

• Stayed: April 2012
2  Thank SomeDays
Reviewed 18 April 2012

The idyllic setting, the beautiful gardens and the interior décor were the main reasons we chose Doxford Hall for our our special day. Even though we're from Leeds, it wasn't a difficult choice choosing picturesque Northumberland and this stunning 4* hotel.

If you're considering staying here or even having your wedding here then you're in for a real treat.

We stayed an extra night after the big day and even though there was another wedding that night, we didn't feel like we were receiving inferior attention or service. Nothing was too much trouble and we enjoyed the best room service imaginable - The steak baguette was the best sandwich I have ever had.

If you like your food, then you'll struggle to fault the delights that are on offer here, from the lounge menu to the fine dining experience, the presentation and taste will satisfy the most demanding and choosy of appetites.

Anyway, back to the best day or my life (after the birth of my daughter) and wow, what can I say other than you'll be taken care of from start to finish with a warm professionalism that will set you at ease and allow you both to just get on and enjoy the day.

My wife said she'd do it all again if she had the chance, though I'm not thinking of getting divorced just yet :)

Book your stay here soon...you'll love it!

Room Tip: The room next to the bar should probably be avoided unless you're a deep sleeper especially if t...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2012

what a wonderful experience! everything is perfect - the building, the rooms, interiors, restaurant. didn't try the spa, so can't comment on it. 100% recommend this place

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Doxford Hall exceeded my expectations of an overnight stay in a luxury hotel to break our journey back from Scotland. I wish I'd booked a two night stay once I realised how reasonable their winter offers were. The hotel has been recently and beautifully refurbished. The ornate and perfect plasterwork on the ceilings makes it feel as if you are sitting in a wedding cake - but there are also many places to sit, with two beautiful lounge areas and a library, as well as dining rooms, all exquisitely furnished using luxurious fabrics. The bedroom and en suite bathroom were spacious, with climate control that worked properly, blissfully comfortable beds and a jacuzzi bath with power shower over. Large towels, fluffy dressing gowns and slippers were also provided, as were tea and coffee making facilities. I had booked a luxurious facial in the spa and my husband went off to one of the nearby golf courses.
Pre-dinner cocktails in the cocktail bar were excellent and not extortionate. I was impressed that the all-inclusive offer of dinner, bed and breakfast allowed us to choose freely from the menu - and there was also a separate vegetarian menu for my husband. The food was superb but neither of us could manage dessert.
Breakfast was also excellent, service was superb and the photo that I took of the dining room failed to do it justice. I would certainly want to come back and allow sufficient time to explore the maze and the beautiful, surrounding countryside.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2012

I recently took my daughter for an afternoon tea at doxford hall as a pre birthday treat, the cake stand came topped with a candle studded scone and "happy birthday" writen in chocolate, this was the icing on the cake and made my little girls day even better.The Afternoon tea as a whole was faultless, warm scones, homemade jam & proper clotted cream & homemade cakes.Thank you Doxford

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank claire301
Reviewed 9 April 2012

Remotely located but well worth finding, The Doxford Hall Hotel is good value for money. The accommodation and the entire property were in xcellent decorative order. The restaurant was good both at dinner and breakfast. The staff were all efficient and welcoming. A special feature was the maze - don't miss it but allow some time to find your way out!
A few small details are short of a 5 star rating. There was no safe deposit box or minibar in the bedroom. Room 6 had no view and extremely loud music could be heard in our room from the nearby Spa for an hour from 17.30 which spoiled the otherwise peaceful, rural atmosphere

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank afcok
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chathill
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to Doxford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!