Doxford Hall Hotel
US$167
US$188
US$135
1,344 results
All reviewsbeautiful hotelafternoon teamorning roomjacuzzi bathgeorgian roompublic roomsdrawing roomspa facilitiescountry houserobes and slippershigh standardsconesfirst classwedding receptiondining roomwedding guestsevening meal
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Spent a very relaxing two days at Doxford Hall. The hotel is set in impressive surroundings and we were able to enjoy relaxing walks in the grounds.

Inside the hotel, our room was very luxurious and we had a very enjoyable dinner the one evening we ate in the restaurant. The small bar seemed a bit out of place, the decor at odds with the rest of hotel, but the there was a good selection of beers to choose from.

The hotel is totally non-smoking including the grounds, apart from one designated outside covered shelter. But Mrs FB2000 thought that area was quite cute

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank fatbear2000
Reviewed 10 May 2012

My husband and I got married here at the end of March having been really impressed with the standard of the hotel and staff when looking for wedding venues. We stayed on the Friday night before the wedding and then on the wedding night itself. The rooms we had were lovely and had everything we could need - no mini-bar but to be honest we wouldn't have used it even if it was there.

We had a portion of the wedding party at Doxford Hall for dinner the night before the wedding as so many people had travelled long distances to spend time with us. Leanne helped us to arrange that and really bent over backwards to ensure we could host this at the hotel despite the hotel being busy with another (albeit small) wedding on that same day.

The staff on the wedding day itself were fantastic and the day went off without a hitch (to my knowledge!). Everything was done for us, once I managed to stop being such a control freak(!) and nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Leanne the wedding co-ordinator made everything easy in the run up to the wedding and was really calm and reassuring when there were a few very last minute changes to plans. Floren looked after us during the wedding day and co-ordinated everything very well. The food was beautiful and very well presented, all of the guests were very complimentary about everything they had to eat and drink on the day and everyone who stayed over loved their hotel room.

One big thing to mention is the breakfasts. I ordered mine to my room on the morning of the wedding and asked for a bit of everything on the menu so that I had a decent choice. There was a huge amount of food delivered to me and what I managed to eat, when the nerves began to settle, was lovely. I definitely made the most of the breakfast on the morning following the wedding. The sausages in particular are fantastic, I understand they are locally sourced and the quality of all of the food served really shines through.

I am looking forward to returning to Doxford Hall for a slightly less hectic stay in the near furture and enjoying a meal in the restaurant. If their breakfasts, Sunday lunches, wedding food and Afternoon teas (I had to sample these quite a few times before the wedding!!) are anything to go by, the food in the restaurant is sure to be fantastic!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rach-cooper
Reviewed 4 May 2012

This hotel was chosen by a cousin for his daughters wedding and we decided to stay over. From the word go the staff were very friendly and helpful. THe hotel is a beautiful building orginally by John Dobson of Newcastle Grey Street fame. All public rooms were well furnished in a style befitting the building. For some reason we were given an 'accessible room' with a walk in shower which took some time and a cold water splash to master but I am looking for fault here where there wasn't really any. A walk in the gounds and a failure to solve the maze were highlights of an afternoon were we sat and drank coffee on the terrace in the sunshine. Our only problem we forgot to take our swimming things and could not sample the excellent swimming pool and sauna.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Keith M
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Our third visit in as many years and probably the best yet. Beautiful, flawless room, polite and friendly staff, first class food in the restaurant and a relaxing couple of hours in the pool made for the perfect stay. The communal rooms and grounds speak for themselves. Can't recommend this place enough - the only downside was listening to the obnoxious elderly couple on the opposite side of the dining room to us, but we can't blame the hotel for that.

Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank david h
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed a couple of nights, just after Easter. The hotel was fairly quiet and there were no weddings.
Our room on the ground floor was large, clean and bright - quiet and overlooking a private grassed courtyard. Very comfortable.
The bathroom was well equipped and the shower worked well. The bath was one of those flashing lights and bubble things. Didn't use it.
Food in the hotel, from a short menu, is fine for a couple of nights; well cooked and well presented. The wine list is ok too and there were some decent bottles without having to go over £25.
Doxford Hotel has some nice touches. Many will enjoy the afternoon tea ritual or a stroll in the grounds. We didn't use the pool but it looked clean and well managed.
Most of the public spaces are attractive and well furnished. The bar however is oddly Abigail's Party. And the piano needs tuning!
We used the hotel as a base from which to enjoy the wonderful coastline; Bamburgh, Craster, Dunstonburgh, Seahouses and Lindisfarne. If you've never been there, go there.
So, after spending a day with a thousand seals, under huge skies, on vast white sands, facing green and turquoise seas (yep we got the weather), Doxford Hall deluvers most of its promises.
Most? Well, the bar is a little amateur; there wasn't much evidence anyone had made the promoted cocktails and my dry martini was certainly the barman's first. But he only charged me half price!
And the beer choice was a throw back to the 1970s. A pity in a region with a thriving micro brewery industry.
And then there's the wifi. It struggles to work in a limited number of public areas and doesn't work at all in the bedrooms.
That's simply not good enough.
The staff are an asset to the hotel. Those I met seemed to enjoy their job and that's a huge plus - although one staff member was rather surly when I sent my scrambled egg breakfast back because there wasn't enough if it.
Actually, the breakfasts are actually very nice.
I've read some of the previous reviews and I confess to a suspicion the hotel may be a little different when there are weddings and wedding parties booked in - or block bookings for Christmas or special occasion dinners. But I shouldn't speculate.
We enjoyed our stay at Doxford Hall and we're glad we chose it.

• Stayed: April 2012