“Lovely hotel, Brilliant Staff”
Review of Doxford Hall Hotel

Doxford Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chathill
Reviewed 13 April 2014

My sister in law got ready for her wedding at this wonderful hotel with all of her bridesmaids and family and all I can say is that the hotel team really helped to make the day for us. We are all privately educated hard working professionals who work in the legal, scientific and business professions. We were greeted by the reception team who handled our multiple room bookings across 3 nights with a wonderful balance of professionalism and good Northumbrian cheer and good nature as anyone from this part of the world knows, loves and expects. The staff could not do enough for us to make sure the preparations ran as smoothly as possible sourcing us sewing kits for last minute repairs as well as rustling up some lovely last minute sandwiches for 6 hungry bridesmaids and one hungry bride. The whole morning was totally stress free and the wedding party got off in good time for a truly wonderful ceremony and evening reception at nearby Newton Hall.

Later that evening I had to do a quick trip back to the hall to collect some things for the bride including her handbag and makeup bag and turning up in a rush with no keys to the rooms and no clue which room the bag had been left in the reception team quickly organised a lovely porter to run round the hotel with me, opening rooms until we found the bag saving the day.

The following day the bride, groom and respective families returned to Doxford Hall for a private Sunday lunch in one of their gorgeous private dining rooms. Chris and his team helped to turn it into by far one of the most laughter filled enjoyable lunches in our families history. The food was sublime, the service impeccable and the company divine.

I would like to thank the team at Doxford Hall for helping to create a truely wonderful weekend that has started my sister in law and new brother in law down their road to a lifetime of happiness. Their good nature, helpfulness and attention to professional detail made this a home from home and we all cant wait to come back.

Thanks so much again

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tom G
Write a ReviewReviews (1,289)

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This is a good place to treat someone to a special trip away. The setting is quiet and tranquil, close to the coast and Alnwick. The room was spacious, with large windows and quality fittings. The bathroom was spacious with a big roll top bath and a separate shower. We ate in the hotel restaurant where the food was excellent. The menu used local ingredients, all freshly cooked, beautifully presented and with sensible portion sizes. The one thing I would say is missing, is a choice of a lighter dish, as the half dozen main courses are all rich and filling. Breakfasts were excellent. They could do without the piped music in the evening which spoilt the pleasant atmosphere at times. The spa was clean and we used the pool during our stay, but the small mixed changing area could be improved. We found all the staff extremely friendly and helpful. My only disappointment with our stay was the poor cocktails! At £9.50 a watery, weak martini, that barely half filled the glass, was not what I would have expected here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Wine07
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

My best friend held her wedding here and the location was just beautiful. The hotel provides a lovely setting. However the staff really did ruin the day for us. I turned up early in the morning to collect the keys for the room for the bridesmaids to use to get dressed. We are all privately educated hard working tee total professionals who work in the legal and medical professions. We were greeted with a rude young lady barely in her 20s who said "oh and don't trash the room" when she handed me the key. I was absolutely appalled and the bride was very upset to hear this.
They made us feel like we were a burden to them all day even though they had a customer paying several thousand pounds for her family and close friends to stay there for the weekend for a lavish wedding.
If you want good service I would recommend staying elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2013
5  Thank BirdBrain86
Reviewed 10 April 2014

It was our Golden Wedding and we spent two nights there as part of the celebration. The family had arranged, among other things,treats which included massages for us both. These were definitely the best we had ever had. The room was of a very high standard as were the dinners we enjoyed both evenings.Wine was a reasonable price and of good quality.
Overall the hotel had an ambience and luxury which was not overstated.
Would stay again and will look for special deals

Room Tip: Use a sat nav to find the hotel
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This is the second time my husband and I have stayed at Doxford Hall and we love it. It's the perfect place to get away and have some peace and tranquility. The location is beautiful but not too far away from some lovely areas to visit. The service is second to none. The staff are helpful and friendly. The rooms are well laid out and comfortable. The breakfast is fabulous. We did not eat in the restaurant as I am a very picky eater and the lavish menu was not for me although I have heard the food is fabulous. Maybe a more basic ordinary dish for people like me would be an idea as I know my husband would love to eat in the restaurant!!! This would not stop me from going back though I love the place!

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 4 April 2014

We found this gem of a place by accident after having booked a hotel in Seahouses which was a disaster so we transferred to Doxford Hall for our stay .It was totally enjoyable so we returned in March and brought along family. Again the whole experience could not be faulted . I found myself looking for things that could be wrong with it as it seemed too good to be true !. It will be our bolthole for any future relaxing treats away . The spa facilities and massage offers are excellent . The whole ambience of the place is conducive to a complete restful break .The staff are the most polite and helpful that we have come across , nothing was too much trouble. Very rare to say that for all staff ( we have been to numerous hotels in our lifetime ) and never experienced this. The setting was excellent and the surrounding countryside has so much to offer that it is difficult to decide whether to make the most of the facilities at the hotel or explore the surroundings . As we are walkers and were mostly away from the hotel until late in the day we did not experience the dining room so could not comment on dinner however the breakfast is very well presented and a wide choice for everyone . Personally I cannot write enough good comments about this little piece of heaven .

Room Tip: We have had a great experience on both occasions so don't feel at liberty to judge Both rooms we...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Had a 3 night brolly break bought for me as a Xmas pressie. We stayed end of March 2014 thoroughly enjoyed our time. We went to Edinburgh and went to the local sites and managed a trip to the Metro Centre!!

Hotel very plush, large room, food very good (very expensive if buying separately to package), breakfast ace and so was the service. Spa and pool area clean and everything provided, communal changing rooms in pool area though, so you haven't to be on the shy side!!

All staff were obliging, had to keep asking for extra milk for room and always happy to help. Spa bath in room really good but we could hear when next door had theirs on at 11.45pm at night! If I had one small negative observation, the bedroom doors didn't lock automatically behind you and occasionally we walked away without locking the door and later we remembered we'd left room open. Not a great problem.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chathill
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
The White Swan Hotel
#5 of 5 in Alnwick
Marshall Meadows Country House Hotel
Marshall Meadows Country House H...
#1 of 3 in Berwick-upon-Tweed

Been to Doxford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!