“Downton with all Mod Cons!”
Review of Doxford Hall Hotel

Doxford Hall Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chathill
Gateshead, Tyne and Wear
“Downton with all Mod Cons!”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

This is a beautifully restored, well maintained country house with spacious rooms and excellent facilities. I went with a party of friends for an overnight spa break and we enjoyed every minute of it. Our rooms were large, clean and well appointed with everything we needed. The food was delicious and attractively served and we found that nothing was too much trouble for the friendly staff. We had booked additional spa treatments and found that whether it was 60 minutes or 30 minutes, that was what we got - not 55 or 25 as is sometimes the case when we visit a spa! The hotel was quite busy and with a number of families staying in the cottages in the grounds it had a nice buzz with a good mix of guests. I am already thinking of a return visit, this time with my husband and would certainly recommend Doxford Hall.

1 Thank desiderata22

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
Reviewed 30 July 2014

I was here with my mother and sister in-law and we had a brilliant time. We all had 30-minute spa treatments, which although not a long time left us very refreshed. The SPA itself was wonderful with steamrooms and sauna, and a wonderful pool. We were lucky and had the whole pool area for ourselves for about an hour, which made it even nicer.

We were a bit late arriving for tea and it took quite a long time before we were being served but when we were it was all very good service. The sandwiches were wonderful, scones delicious and the cakes - also very good.

The hall itself I feel had a wonderful feel to it and they had managed to mix old with modern in a very nice way.

It was simply ab fab and I would love to go back for a stay with my husband.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Visited for a spa day and afternoon tea. Staff in hotel extremely helpful and pleasant, afternoon tea delightful and surroundings beautiful including the grounds. Spa not so good. Very disappointed that despite it being very obviously quiet we could not add on any additional treatments to those which we had booked. The changing facilities are very average and the toiletries on offer very poor quality as were the towels and robes. Pool was reasonable but never nice to see chewing gum lying at the side !!! We had both booked Prescriptive facials and although we filled in extensive questionnaires prior to our treatments our specific skincare requirements were never mentioned by the therapist! One reason for choosing this spa was the fact that they used Babor products. I have owned a salon in the past and was an agent for Babor. I was looking forward to hearing about what new products they had on offer and what I might then be able to purchase. I was therefore very surprised that after the rather rushed facial I was not given any skincare advice or told what products had been used. I would love to know what was used as my skin has never felt drier which is very strange given the quality of Babor and the fact that I used it for years as it agreed so well with my skin. No one wants the hard sell but we were genuinely interested in the products. Our therapists obviously couldn't get rid of us fast enough and the reception was completely unmanned on our departure so we couldn't even ask then. Finally don't be fooled by the 25% discount voucher you get sent as you can't use it on the day. Such a pity that this beautiful hotel is let down by its spa.

2 Thank Malky21
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed here for five days in July. Beautiful hotel in beautiful grounds with friendly, helpful staff. Only negative was a long delay between ordering cooked breakfast and its arrival at the table (almost 25 minutes on one of the days). However, this was more than made up for by the overall standard of the hotel. We had booked through Secret Escapes, so already had a 42% discount, but on arrival we were upgraded to a beautiful, well appointed suite (The Langley) with sitting room and fitted kitchen, as well as one of the most luxurious bathrooms we've ever experienced.

Berwick Upon Tweed, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2014

if anywhere could be described as perfect this was it. From the delightful gardens to the superbly renovated interior of a lovely early Victorian house; from the skilled service to the delightful food. We went there for afternoon tea for my wife's birthday. We had tea in the library and in every way our expectations were exceeded. Afterwards we spent a lovely half hour in the gardens. A soon return beckons.

Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My Husband and I were married at Doxford Hall and also celebrated our 1st anniversary there. This time round we had another fantastic time. Our room (Grace Darling) was beautiful and overlooke the gorgeous beautifully kept gardens and the staff were lovely. Dan deserves a special comment, he is always so positive and friendly and a total asset to the Hall.
Just a couple of little things we felt a little disapointed with the evening meal some flavours and combinations didn't seem to go together and it was all very salty and the spa is looking a little tired, however that did not take away from our pleasure and we will certainly be back!

Thirsk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here on our honeymoon. We were in the new coach house rooms which were beautifully decorated but very hot and the bed was very uncomfortable. We did notify reception but nothing was done and they seemed very uninterested. The spa was ok but had mixed changing rooms which I didn't like. Because we were in the coach house it was a 5 minute walk over to the spa. The breakfast however was delicious. One of the best we have had. And the setting and location were lovely.

Stayed July 2014
3 Thank Tory M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chathill
Dunstanburgh Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Newton by the Sea
Warkworth House Hotel
Warkworth House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Warkworth

Been to Doxford Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!