We spent three nights here as a base for the Cultural Triangle, and we found the hotel very pleasant. We upgraded to the Deluxe room (for $30 a night on arrival), mainly so we could have a bath as well as a shower. The room was large and very attractively decorated, with a comfortable (firm) bed, table and chairs, and small seating area. The kettle was very helpful, and they brought us milk without charge. The bathroom was fine, and the bath was huge. The location is lovely, with the rooms spread out round the grounds, with distant views of the lake, so we only shared one wall with another property, making it quiet and fairly private. There are large troops of monkeys (grey langurs and toque macaques) in the grounds, as well as giant squirrels and lots of palm squirrels, and you can walk straight into the grounds of the neighbouring hotel, Cinnamon Lodge, where we also saw water and land monitors. We only had a short wander, but I understand you can see lots of birds if you do a longer walk near the lake.
I’d give both the room and the setting 5 stars, but the hotel loses a star for really very bad food. Breakfast was fine – the usual choice of fruit, omelettes, Sri Lankan breakfast foods etc, and ok coffee, but with the addition of a really excellent selection of breads. Dinner, though, was awful. The Sri Lankan food was very, very spicy without actually having much flavour, and the other food totally bland and overcooked. Dinner was included in our room rate, so we ate there every night, but we also had a very mediocre and quite expensive lunch at the generally excellently-reviewed Cinnamon Lodge – basically, we didn't find good food options in Habarana!
Overall, I’d recommend this hotel as a simple, unfussy and reasonably priced option for the Cultural Triangle.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Habarana Village by Cinnamon lies sprawled across 27 acres of luxuriant land bordering a stunning lake of Habarana. The hotel's cozy cottages, inspired by the typical thatched roof huts found locally, lie in clusters with low roofs and brownish yellow exteriors. Habarana Village by Cinnamon boasts of 94 Superior Rooms, 12 Deluxe Rooms and 2 Suites set in the middle of thousands of high-rise trees that provide fruit, medicinal properties and plenty of shade. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Agoda, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Habarana Village by Cinnamon reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Chaaya Village Habarana Hotel Habarana
- Chaaya Village Hotel Habarana
- Chaaya Village Resort Habarana