“Issy Link and Firefly B&B Are the Best!”

Firefly Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 2 Lincoln B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, PA
“Issy Link and Firefly B&B Are the Best!”
Reviewed 4 August 2008

We have been staying regularly – at least six times - at Firefly B&B for years, Spring, Summer and Fall. This year we’re here for ten days restful vacation.

We travel quite a bit and always try to find a friendly B&B or Inn rather than staying at a chain motel. Expensive, economical and in between - all kinds in many locations. We like them all but have never made any other B&B a destination for a vacation – which should tell you something about the high regard in which we hold Firefly B&B and its proprietress, Issy Link.

Her home is cozy and quiet, nestled in the foothills of Mount Abraham, just South of Appalachian Gap Road (Rte. 17) which takes you over the mountain (~ a half hour) to Sugarbush and Mad River Glen. Her horses graze in the pasture surrounding her home and the spring fed swimming pond is refreshing and inviting for swimming – or for just hanging out in the sun.

Issy has a great sense of humor, is a caring hostess and a talented chef. Her breakfasts are varied, filling and delicious.

We’ve read the reviews posted by Peconic Bill, AlpineTrekker and equinevet222. The first two are worth reading and quite accurate - except there is the opportunity for plenty of romance (including enough privacy for skinny dipping and lovely walks under the amazing stars) at Issy’s place and lots of young singles have enjoyed stays there.

Why equinetrekker222 and her husband would spend only two hours there and she would then take the time to write that overly long, uninformed and hostile review, including the irrelevant bragging about the shape her horses are in, is a total mystery.

If you’re looking for a beautifully located place to stay, run by a lovely, hardworking lady who cares about her guests and charges very reasonable prices for her rooms, you won’t go wrong here.

• Liked — Issy and her surroundings
  • Disliked — Shared Baths - but arrangements can be made for a private bath
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Fast_Friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Eastern Long Island
Reviewed 24 July 2008

Because we were booking within four weeks of our stay our choices were limited. My wife insists on a private bath and since the website describes the "Vermont Room" as having a private bath I went ahead and booked it. We arrived to find that in fact it's a bath shared with the owner and with the occupant of the cottage out back.

One other problem (less serious): She doesn;'t take credit cards, so you'll have to mail her a check for one night's stay to secure a reservation.

Other than the private bath issue it was fine. Beautiful spot, quiet & private up in the mountains.

Several listings have this B&B located in Bristol; it's actually up in Lincoln.

• Liked — Location & views
  • Disliked — Misrepresentation about "Private Bath"
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank PeconicBill
NH
Reviewed 20 July 2008

I love Firefly B&B.... I’ve been returning to this cozy B & B since 1999. Firefly B & B is the place my dreams are made of. Whether I arrive at Issy’s with my husband, my black lab or my horse, we are always made to feel welcome. I've stayed at Firefly in each season, and each stay was special. I feel right at home here. Of course, I'm a country girl at heart, and this place suites me fine! I love being here. Issy’s great hospitality, outstanding meals, European ambiance, spectacular vistas (everywhere you look, especially in the fall and winter) and cozy swimming hole keep bringing me back again and again

Regardless of the season there is always lots of ways to have fun at Firefly. In the winter, I’ve enjoyed snowshoeing and cross-country skiing. In the spring, it’s a great time to go hiking the Battail trail or Bristol Cliffs. And, of course, the summer and the fall offer some of the finest horseback riding in New England. I'm an avid horse person & have ridden miles and miles of the trails around Firefly & Lincoln. The trails are so much fun & the scenery is breathtaking! Whether I’m riding in the Green Mountain National Forest, along the Greene Road, or anywhere else around Lincoln, I feel like I am in heaven. It is truly one of my all time favorite places in New England to ride.

The Rustic Cabin is my favorite room to stay in! I like being set back in my own private space, away from the other guests. The few steps to the house is no big deal for me. I am able to start my day practicing yoga without any distractions. If I am staying at Firefly with my horse, he’s right outside the cabin, enjoying his stay as much as I am. It’s a great place where much fun is had by all!

• Liked — Scenery
  • Disliked — Having to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AlpineTrekker
Concord, New Hampshire
Reviewed 12 June 2008

My husband and I thought a honeymoon involving our horses would be a great getaway, since horses is what brought us together in the first place. According to the website, there would be shelter and pasture provided for the horses. Sure, there was shelter, but only for her horses. Then, the pasture for our horses had cattle fence (maybe 2.5 feet?) and we were asked if our horses respected electric fence, and they do, except the next words out of the innkeeper's mouth was "Oh, it isn't electrified". The whole time I was worrying about when some thunderstorms hit (which they were supposed to that day) and my horses running blindly though wire.

It was rather warm when we arrived, but both of our horses are in good shape and we wanted to just go for a stroll down the trails (trails = dirt roads by the way, roads that Vermonters like to drive pretty fast on! It was funny because they wave as they are passing you on your horse doing about 40 mph on this little roads!) The innkeeper had the map for the trails, and she was reluctant to give them to me. She was like "Are you sure? It's awfully warm, you know you should let the horses settle in first" I was like "We would like to just go for a walk." She made us feel very uncomfortable. I kind of knew this might happen when I got the horses off the trailer and shavings came out along with them, and she commented "Oh, it looks like we are going to have to rake that up now."

As far as the actual accommodations go, the cabin is quite cute but not recommended for hot weather since there is no air conditioning (I don't think the main building has A/C either, but don't quote me on that). According to her website, it claims that if you rent the cabin you will have a private passageway into the back of the main building. This "private passageway" is nothing more than the back door to her house. By main building, she means her house. The bathroom she would like you to use it across the hall from her actual bedroom...just not accommodating at all! My husband and I felt she was watching our every move, constantly making sure we were not ruining something on her property like wayward teenagers. We left that day...we were not there more than a couple hours.

• Liked — The view is amazing.
  • Disliked — The feeling of being uncomfortable, it was too much like being a stranger's house.
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank equinevet222
Also consider these accommodations in or near Lincoln
Middlebury Inn
Robert Frost Mountain Cabins
Inn at Baldwin Creek
Inn at Baldwin Creek
#5 of 7 in Bristol

Been to Firefly Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!