“Great Hotel, wish it was closer to the city.”

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great Hotel, wish it was closer to the city.”
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was on a business trip and had the pleasure of staying here for a few days. The hotel is very modern, incredibly designed, and clean. It is a little far from the city, but worth it. I was really impressed with the staff, especially Otto at reception. His professional manners and English skills were extremely helpful in all of our plans. He went out of his way to make us feel like we were at home. It would have been nice if the outdoor pool was open for drinks as it was closed due to the weather. We had a great room with a nice view. The breakfast is amazing, and I would definitely stay here again on my own.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Sarah N
Andrea M, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Sarah N.,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel for your stay in Barcelona and for taking your time to write a travel review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is highly appreciated as you are giving us the chance to respond.

Due to your comment we have learnt that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the service received by Otto at the reception and the great breakfast buffet.
Thank you for your positive feedback. We would be delighted to soon welcome you back at our hotel.

With best regards,

Andrea Mueller
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Dublin
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here recently with work for a week, hotel staff friendly , rooms very kool and stylish and breakfast one of the best . Staff were really helpful and i havent stayed in a better 4 star hotel, really enjoyed, keep up the good work !

The only thing i would say is the rooms were a little pricey at 170 euros per night weekday considering it was about 10km from the city centre

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank colin_morrissey
sydney, australia
Reviewed 24 January 2014

This is a hard hotel to rate - some aspects of it were excellent, others less so.

We booked more or less at random, just before New Year, when we were too busy and too stressed to do any proper research. The pictures of the rooms looked nice on last minute, so we went with it. The hotel is near the airport, but not near the city. It seems to have been built in an area which was about to go gangbusters when the GFC happened, and it looks as though not much has happened since then, other than IKEA moving in over the road. Consequently the area has a slightly unfinished, disconsolate feel. The city is about 20 minutes away by train, with a change midway. The best way to get around, as others have mentioned, is to buy a T10 card from the station. I can't say the distance from Barcelona centre ruined our short trip, but what it effectively meant was that we were unable to wander out of our hotel in the morning and have a lazy breakfast. We were also disinclined to go back in the middle of the day for a lie down and read. Once we were out, we were out.

The hotel itself was excellent, with a small caveat. The design was standout - metal floors and rather funky leather curtains in reception. Our room had a completely white palette and was excellently done, in a minimal way. Stylish, funkalicious and enjoyable. The window was of great interest - not your usual rectangular box, this, but a palm leaf shape cut out of the masonry. The electric blinds, when they were lowered, aligned a pattern of greenery over the glass. From the outside the building seemed studded with oversized leaves. There was, I have to admit, the very faintest suggestion of Fred Flintstone about the windows themselves, but the architects had dared to be brave and took a risk, and I think for the most part it paid off really well. In terms of housekeeping, the rooms were spotless and well supplied.

The staff on reception were excellent. The level of English spoken was very high and they seemed keen to research things to do and impart information on almost any subject.

The one reservation I have about the room design and (one member of) staff was to do with soundproofing. I seem to be forever banging on about soundproofing in my reviews - I have to come clean and admit that I'm a career insomniac. On one night we had people in the room above us. I don't think they were doing anything particularly inconsiderate - they were walking around and talking. The only problem for us is that they chose to do this in the early hours. When we asked if we could be moved the next day we were told that if they were behaving badly the next night, to phone reception and they would have words with them. They refused to move us. It was great the hotel have a protocol to follow in the case of rowdy guests, but in this case their focus was wrong - it wasn't the guests who were a problem so much as the lack of soundproofing in the room. I say this because it happened another night and again the neighbours weren't being troublesome but the noise did carry. This time, however, one of the women staff on reception said they'd be happy to move us.

So all in all it worked well enough for us. The price was very good and the quality of the hotel made it excellent value. The soundproofing probably wouldn't bother most normal sleepers, which leaves only the issue of the distance from the city to consider.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rosemalmaison
Coleraine, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

This was a super hotel for our short break in Barcelona. The room was fantastic, the staff are very friendly and the breakfast was first class. A T10 rail card is the best way to get around and the train station is a short walk from the hotel. The no46 bus picks you up just outside the hotel and takes you to the airport.

Just one word of caution, there are a number of Renaissance Hotels in Barcelona and the taxi drivers don't always get it right. Make sure you know where you are going.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Nigel M
Harrisburg,PA
Reviewed 14 January 2014

I am surprised at the reviews giving the hotel 5 stars. While the design was very unique, almost too unique our experience was something less than 5. I am a platinum Marriott member and while the hotel was exceptionally well kept and clean the design is what either sets it apart or makes you a little more than satisfied. As another reviewer pointed out the TV while nice had a lack of english channels. The room was all white, the bench (couch) was minimally padded and didn't afford a comfortable place to sit. The trashcan as another review pointed out was absurdly small. The bed was comfortable, but the windows strange shape detracted a spectacular view of the Olympic stadium.

We accidentally left a conversion plug at the previous hotel and the Ren didn't have one to lend out or buy. The shower was a hot mess so to speak. The rain shower head covered the whole shower and also leaked out the side covering even more areas of the shower. Because of this I couldn' get out of the water to shave my face and my girlfriend had the same difficulty. There was no escaping the rain! The door that slid back and forth to access the bathroom blocked the hallway, you couldn't have it both ways.

Access to the rooftop deck which was awesome was difficult as the primary elevators didn't go to that level and you had to figure it out for yourself.

If I go back to Barcelona as unique as this hotel is, I would avoid it. It was neat but a little too cool for me.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jpeffer
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 12 January 2014

We stayed here for our last night in Barcelona before flying back to the states. The hotel is recently converted to a marriott (maybe in the last 3-4 years).

The hotel itself is rather isolated from the city - but not far from the airport. You will have some pretty amazing views of the City/Sea from the rooftop bar and pool.

The rooms are very funky and are either all in white or all in black. The room was very clean and nicely decorated. Only strange thing was since the electricity is tied to the card being in the slot, the AC goes off when you leave and it does get a little warm in the rooms.

The bathroom is quite open - just know this if you are traveling with shy companions. The shower doors is simply a sliding partition, and same with the toilet.

The pool is pretty awesome and you have a great view of the City. Same with the workout space.

Would certainly consider staying here again if we needed a night before a flight.

The only thing, which is common in Spain, is that the restaurant does not serve food until 8PM - definitely later than we wanted to eat, but were still able to get a nice meal in the lobby bar.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SMR_2
Methuen, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 January 2014

This past summer, we planned a trip to Barcelona and Majorca. I am a Marriott Rewards member and I am able to secure travel packages through the Marriott Rewards program. Our main trip was to Majorca and we were staying at a Marriott Hotel in area called Son Antem, which is resort, has timeshares units along with a golf course (a side note, the Marriott Hotel was sold although the timeshares are still Marriott). We decided that we should visit Barcelona as well and we agreed on 3 days on the front end of our trip and one day on the back end. The obvious question is where we stay? As I noted, I will try and stay at Marriott hotels as I want a certain level of comfort. When I have traveled to other European cities, staying at hotels that are not Marriott (I suppose other big chains have similar levels) can be quite interesting and in some cases challenging. I guess I am at the stage that I am not interested in the unknown, so Marriott hotels eliminate that fear. Even with Marriott you have different levels and trying to gauge these hotels in Barcelona can be a task. Ultimately, after reading some reviews, I booked the Marriott Renaissance Fira in Barcelona. When I travel in foreign cities, I usually do not drive, so walking and public transportation are very important to me. Everything I read about this hotel seemed to indicate that it would fit into my criteria.

We arrived into Barcelona and after getting our luggage, we got a taxi to the Hotel. It was located about 6 miles (10 kilometers) from the airport and the area looked a little barren. Across the street from the Hotel was an IKEA and it did look like a lot of the area was affected by the economic crisis that is occurring in many European Countries. We were in Barcelona at the end of July and the weather was quite warm. We checked into the hotel (we had read that it is quite contemporary) and we found this to be the case. I had two room as my daughters from the U.S. were coming and I have another one who has been working in Germany coming as well. This is high rise building and our rooms were on the 24th floor. We went to our room which was laid out very nicely. Walked in and off to the left the bathroom sink, the shower and the rest room (a separate little room). The sleeping area was beyond that area (separated) and there was sitting area with a view of Barcelona. The room was stark white and very contemporary. The other room on the same level was little different. You walked into the sleeping area and the sitting area and bathroom was further in and separated. This room was in total black, yet it seemed to be extremely warm and inviting. Also, the room had a great view of Barcelona.

We took a walk around the area and you can see the economy in this area was lacking. It was not in disrepair, but the development had stopped or was in a lull. There were businesses opened and you can see that when the economy improves this area will attract new businesses and it is on a commuter rail line. After walking around the area, we were going to meet one of my daughter’s at the pool area of our hotel. She had arrived the day before and was staying with a friend. We went up to the pool area (located on the 27th floor) and to our surprise this was an absolute gem. It was not overly big (pool was very rectangular) but was more than sufficient for hotel guest. The lounge chairs are the best I have ever experienced. They were wide and padded and very comfortable for relaxing and the deck area had the most spectacular views of Barcelona. The weather this time of the year was beautiful and quite warm, so that when we finished our daily touring of Barcelona, we immediately came back to the hotel and changed to go up to the pool area.

As I mentioned, this hotel was on a commuter line rail stop (4 or 5 stops) to connect to the Barcelona Metro system and the train had timely connections so that we were able to go anywhere and make it there in reasonable time frame.

This hotel did not have a lot of extras, like concierge service, but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. On the 14th floor of this hotel was the main restaurant and we did have breakfast there each morning and did eat dinner there one night. The food was good and service was excellent. Even though the hotel was not in a beach or downtown area, it was the perfect for our needs and a very reasonable alternative to some of the other high end Marriott hotels. This hotel provided great value and great location.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Euro Hotel Gran Via Fira
#8 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Hotel Fira Congress
#5 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel? Share your experiences!