“Unique”

Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Unique”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

If you are looking for an unique hotel with excellent service, then pick this one! I've stayed here in september 2013 for 4 nights. The hotel is located outside the city center of Barcelona, you do need some form of transportation in order to get to the main sights. When I stayed here we hired a scooter to get in and out of town. The hotel is beautiful both from the in as well from the outside. Glass Elevators take you to your floor, stepping out of the elevator you find yourself in the open air with great views. The rooms are large and have great soft sleeper beds. The bathroom is modern and has a great powerful shower. The bar on top of the hotel is small but the views from there are great. The pool is also located at the topfloor , not big but nice enough for a swimm. They even allowed us to swim by the end of september while the weather was not that good. The pool inside is as big as my bathtub, but hey, who needs an indoor pool in Barcelona.......

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (347)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 February 2014

I stayed in this hotel January 2014 for 2 nights with some girl friends and had a great time.
We got upgraded to a Junior Suite by a really helpful receptionist. Overall the staff were great. They helped us book our tickets for Segrada Familia and it saved us queuing for at least 2 hours!
The rooms were spotless clean, but as other have mentioned you can't get complete privacy in the shower but it's not too bad. The hotel is a short tube ride from the centre, I can imagine this may be a problem for some people but it wasn't that much of an issue for us. The aiport is also close.

Room Tip: Go for the white room!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Northern Ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2014

Just back from a 3 night stay at this hotel. The hotel is very modern, minimalist and trendy. We were in a 'white room'. It was spotlessly clean. As other people have commented.......there is a design flaw with the bathroom in that it is impossible to have complete privacy when in the shower- so you need to be mindful of that! Also....if looking for the rubbish bin.......it is a metal, pull out fixture in the bathroom. Blinds are electric. Beds great. Tea and coffee were available in the room but no milk. The breakfast was excellent.
We were visiting Barcelona for the first time. On reflection it might have been easier to have stayed in a more central hotel but using the metro to get into the city is easy, quick and cheap. The T10 card is great. Some of the other reviews explain how to use this. We also used the T46 bus to get to and from the airport. From the airport you get off at the Europa/Fira stop but as soon as you see Ikea on the right hand side, ring the bell and get up, as the stop is soon after this.
One of the strongest assets of this hotel is the staff. Without exception we found them kind, helpful and keen to ensure that we had a good stay.
I would recommend this hotel and would not hesitate to stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in a high room and enjoy the views.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank pianoviolin
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Where do I start?

After being shocked about the forceful command of the receptionist about paying in advance rather than at exit, I made my way up the transparent elevators. My life passed by in slow motion as I was overtaken by fear, horror and nausea all in one, due to the dangerous ride up to my room. Apparently they don't offer alternative elevators for people that prefer to not risk their life as they make it to their rooms.

On the second day I get locked out of my room. Apparently that's what they do when they want to discuss something with you, unlike other hotels that would simply give you a ring. So I make it down to the reception only to endure rudeness and insults over an issue that eventually ends up being a non-issue. "They’d made a mistake" were the words. No apologies accepted, I responded.

To my surprise - day three, I'm locked out of the room again. This time the door had broken down.
Isn't this supposed to be a state of the art facility. Working doors should be a basic priority. But it doesn't stop there.

Day four- I'm locked out again. Apparently they thought I had left the hotel and then started pestering me about paying for an extra day despite the fact that I had already made a booking for an extra day. The language barrier made everything worse. I would have thought that an international hotel would hire English speaking staff?

Speaking of cultural differences, some people in my group were subject to racism. One guy was picked out in a group of four guys as he entering the hotel in the afternoon due to that he was black. The staff even acknowledged and apologised for their racial profiling as they swiftly made their way back to their seats behind the reception counter.
Another guest was racially profiled as staff aggressively pursued her with the objective to force her to pay as they were in their own words "afraid she would run from the bill on the day of check out"

On top of the obvious social and moral issues that the staff seem to have the hotel experience itself was not great. The so called pool was a puddle of water on the floor, the gym -a box room and the views clouded by dirty windows. Not that I could see at all for the first hour as I couldn't work out where the lights in the room were.

The only positive experience was the fantastic breakfast buffet served by wonderful Chinese women.

Room Tip: There is a huge difference in the single rooms and double rooms in terms of quality and comfort.
3 Thank tunibaraka
Andrea M, Guest Relations Manager at Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2014
Dear Mrs. Baraka,

First of all we would like to thank you for your visit at the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel and for taking your time to share the experiences you gained with us.

Unfortunately we have learnt that you were not content with your stay at our hotel and that you felt being treated in a very unprofessional way. We wish that you had shared your comments directly with us during stay to give us a chance to react, if any of our personnel treated you differently because of your origin.

The Renaissance Hotels are part of the Marriott Brands and we are a multi culture company and one of our core values is to treat every guest and associate the same, regardless of the race and gender.

In regards to your other concerns we would like to follow up with you privately as there are some inconsistencies of your reporting. On behalf of the entire team we would like to state our sincere apologies on the inconvenience caused. We thank you and we take your comment serious and please be assured that we have shared your feedback with the entire team to improve our service in the future.

With best regards,

Andrea Mueller
Director of Operations
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed there last week from Sunday to Fri AM for a work conference, excellent breakfast everyday, near to convention center, capable staff, nice rooms + v. 'arty' ( maybe that's just Barcelona overall ), perhaps a little high price wize in my view to come back on a personal trip but I did discuss ways in which I could get better pricing when I departed, lovely roof garden / pool with 360 skytop view of the city, Very Happy overall.

1 Thank GavinHesse
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I was on a business trip and had the pleasure of staying here for a few days. The hotel is very modern, incredibly designed, and clean. It is a little far from the city, but worth it. I was really impressed with the staff, especially Otto at reception. His professional manners and English skills were extremely helpful in all of our plans. He went out of his way to make us feel like we were at home. It would have been nice if the outdoor pool was open for drinks as it was closed due to the weather. We had a great room with a nice view. The breakfast is amazing, and I would definitely stay here again on my own.

2 Thank Sarah N
Dear Sarah N.,

First of all we would like to thank you for choosing the Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel for your stay in Barcelona and for taking your time to write a travel review on Tripadvisor. Your feedback is highly appreciated as you are giving us the chance to respond.

Due to your comment we have learnt that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially the service received by Otto at the reception and the great breakfast buffet.
Thank you for your positive feedback. We would be delighted to soon welcome you back at our hotel.

With best regards,

Andrea Mueller
Director of Operations
Dublin
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Stayed here recently with work for a week, hotel staff friendly , rooms very kool and stylish and breakfast one of the best . Staff were really helpful and i havent stayed in a better 4 star hotel, really enjoyed, keep up the good work !

The only thing i would say is the rooms were a little pricey at 170 euros per night weekday considering it was about 10km from the city centre

2 Thank colin_morrissey
Eixample
H10 Casa Mimosa
H10 Casa Mimosa
#2 of 513 in Barcelona

Been to Renaissance Barcelona Fira Hotel? Share your experiences!