“Enjoyable stay at Hotel SB Plaza Europa” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel SB Plaza Europa

Hotel SB Plaza Europa
Ghana
“Enjoyable stay at Hotel SB Plaza Europa”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel with my wife and 2 sons aged 16 and 14. We had a family room that had 4 beds. Hotel has a decent local. €26 by taxi from airport.

Check in however took 20 mins. I don't know what the problem is but after I mentioned to the check in staff that it's taking too long, she said her system was slow but on the other side, the other check in staff checked in 3 different people whilst I was still checking in. I was getting impatient and annoyed after our flight.

Room is superbly clean. House keeping does a great job. We didn't order any room service to try that. We didn't book the rooms with breakfast so we always mentioned that to staff when my wife and I went for breakfast as our sons were making use of time to sleep in before walking and touring all day. For 4 days, every time we got to the breakfast hall, I always had to tell mainly the same person that we want the breakfast billed to our room. This I had to mention always abt 3 times before they understood me.

Breakfast was spread all over the hall. It was on our last day that we found out where the yoghurt was placed. It could be placed all closer to each other instead of spread sparingly all over.

The pool at the 8th floor is very basic. 9am deep. In April/May, the water is too cold to be used.

The gym at -1 level and Sauna is good enough. You can have a good jog on the 2 treadmills and a workout at the work station. Didn't try the sauna but it looked great.

One set back is that even though wifi is free, the Internet speed is rediculously slow.

In general, it's a great place as for us, cleanliness is our top priority and we got a room for 4 people.

To the management, keep up the good work and look into the small matters I've mentioned and others have mentioned as well.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Ghanaresident
SBHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Plaza Europa, responded to this review, 2 May 2014
Dear Ghanaresi,

Thank you very much for leaving your comments about our hotel.
I'm glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that your family found our facilities. I have taken note of both your positive feedback and how we can become better.
I hope to see you again in Hotel SB Plaza Europa.
Kind regards

Gemma Fradera

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Vaasa, Finland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed for a week with my girlfriend and we were both very satisfied with everything. The hotel is modern and in good condition. My girfriend pointed out that the interior design was very european and pleased the eye. Some sounds from the other rooms could be heard but the hotel seems to be quite popular among business people so the hotel was peaceful during the nights.

The hotel is not located in central Barcelona (technically in a different city), but the closest metro station is less than 300 metres away. A bus to and from the airport also stops within 300 metres of the hotel. We loved the peace of not being in the centre of town 24/7.

Breakfast was served for quite a few hours every morning so sleeping in was possible. The breakfast included the normal eggs and meats of different sorts, plenty of sweet baked goods (donuts, cakes etc.), a good sortment of fresh fruit, yogurt and the works. We eat gluten free and we were completely satisfied with the amount of choices available.

The only negative experience during the whole week was the shower in the gym's changing room. The builders had done a poor job with the floor and the water went literally everywhere, including the hallway that leads to the gym.

I loved the place, will definately come back if I come to Barcelona again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Andy B,

Thank you very much for your nice comments about our hotel.
We work very hard to be able to offer the best service and facilities to all our guests. I inform you that some improvements in the fitness are planned for this year to improve the water drainage system.

I hope to see you back soon,

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

The hotel is stunning and by that I mean just the building. It's a few months old, ultra clean and an ultra modern design. We stayed in a superior jacuzzi room and paid £635.00, room only, for 4 nights.

The only plus point is the hotel design. The rest is a disaster if you're looking to enjoy good service and good food.

Rooftop Pool Bar
The pool bar looks amazing on the hotel website with stunning pictures. If you book here you'll imagine yourself on the rooftop enjoying a cool drink and soaking up the atmosphere with other guests. What the hotel website fails to advise is that the bar is closed until the 1st May. The hotel website states: A menu with teas, coffees, soft drinks and mixed drinks is complemented with a wide range of sandwiches and snacks that can bring you that little extra bit of energy that will allow you to carry on with all your programmed activities" None of this exists either during the day or in the evening at the rooftop bar as it was closed for the entire duration of our stay.

You can still access the roof but there's nothing going on which was disappointing.

It would have been nice to know in advance.

It cannot be due to lack of staff. On one evening I went to reception to find 5 members of staff standing around.

Check In
Slow. Either the check in software is complicated or the staff are untrained. It takes forever to perform a simple task and annoying if there's someone in front of you.

Make a point of asking for two room keys as you are only given one key by default. It's essential if you're a couple to have two keys. You cannot access the lift without a key and the electricity in the room is powered by inserting your key in a slot by the light switch.

I had to go to reception one evening and subsequently left my wife in the dark as I needed to take the key to access the lift.

I mentioned this and reception told me all I had to do is ask.

I'm quite sure if I ask for two keys I'll get two keys but why not issue them in the first place as it's clearly an essential requirement. No one should have to ask, the hotel should have the forethought in the first place to ensure guests have a pleasurable stay.

I had to ask for towels on our 2nd night as the cleaner forgot to provide them and of course they were provided eventually but it would have been nice to have towels without having to ask.

The staff wont look after you unless you ask!

Rooms
Our superior room was stunning and very clean with lots of added extras. However, be aware that the toilet door is full glass (no frosted privacy screen) so if you're not comfortable with doing your business while your partner can see you in full view you may wish to reconsider when booking a superior room.

The room also has a mirrored ceiling that extends across the jacuzzi and over the double bed which is a fun addition to the design. However, someone thought it would be a good idea to fit the smoke alarm right in the centre of the mirror above the bed which spoils the affect. What's more, the smoke alarm has two green LED's that flash every 5 seconds. At first you wont notice it but if you wake up at 3am and your eyes have adjusted to the pitch dark room (thanks to the blackout curtains) you'll notice a green searing light flash across the room every 5 seconds.

The Bar
Again the staff are slow and distracted. It takes ages to even be acknowledged which is very poor for a 4 star hotel - not because there are lots of people at the bar (the hotel was quiet) but because yet again the staff, all 3 of them, are standing around a computer terminal discussing far more important things than serving guests. On two occasions I eventually got to order drinks, after placing the order I had to wait for another guest to pay their bill before my drinks were poured, once they were poured I then waited for yet another guest to place a food order before I was asked to pay for my drinks. The whole process of ordering drinks at the bar takes about 10 minutes despite no other guests at the bar when you first approach. No way can this be considered 4 star service. The staff at KFC across the road are friendlier and more attentive.

Room Service
AVOID !!!
Our first experience was to order a pizza. An hour after ordering the pizza it had still not arrived. I called room service again; they had forgot to process our order. After a further 30 minutes a cold pizza finally arrived.

On the Saturday evening we tried room service again. My order was the Fillet Steak. Both meals arrived cold. There seems to be an issue with delivering food to the room - I suspect the food is ready but it sits on a tray in the kitchen waiting for someone available to deliver it to the room.

Despite both meals being cold I expect a fillet steak by definition to be a very lean cut of meat. I was served what looked like a very cheap, fatty, thin cut sirloin. It was absolutely not a fillet steak and quite frankly disgusting!! I wouldn't serve something like that to my dog.

By this time it was around 10:30pm. We were hungry and I decided to do the best I could and attempted to eat the steak. Half way through trying to chew on this awful piece meat I'd had enough and took my plate to reception to show them what the kitchen had the nerve to call a fillet steak.

Initially the response was reasonable. I was offered a refund and asked if I wanted something else. I declined the offer of any more food from the kitchen but was happy that I at least didn't have to pay for what they'd served up. I should have mentioned my wife's cold meal but already felt that things were slowly being spoiled without causing any more hassle.

Now here's the best bit....

Having been offered a refund for the awful food I went back to the room and updated my wife. In the meantime my plate was moved from reception back to the kitchen. When the kitchen noticed that I had attempted to eat half of the steak I received a call to my room:

"MR FRANCIS, WE HAVE CHANGED OUR MIND. WE WILL NOT GIVE YOU A FULL REFUND FOR YOUR MEAL. YOU HAVE EATEN HALF OF THE STEAK SO YOU MUST PAY HALF!!!!!!!"

I was utterly stunned that a hotel could treat a guest in such a way after serving such appalling food. Yes I may have attempted to eat half their terrible steak but both meals were stone cold anyway.

I went straight to reception and handed over half the money which they happily accepted. I asked if it was some kind of joke and was told "no, we don't do jokes here"

After spending over €1000 at this hotel during our 4 days is it really that important for them to extract a further €7.50 for half a rotten cold steak?

I requested to speak to the manager. Not available at weekends.

We agreed that the manager would come and see me on the Monday. The manager clearly didn't get the message.

We checked out at Midday on the Monday and waited at the hotel until 3pm - no sight of the manager whatsoever.

I was fully paid up by this point - accommodation, room service including my half of the steak, bar bill etc. So I guess they got what they wanted so no need to speak to an unhappy guest if the bill is paid in full.

It's interesting to note that hotel staff used to comment on reviews made on TripAdvisor but have not done so for about 6 weeks. They have some very good reviews and this hotel has great potential but I suspect they have become complacent.

Overall it's a stunning hotel but massively let down by the people running it. Give it a go if you're not bothered about customer service and you're happy to eat elsewhere. If you dare to complain be prepared to be treated by people who care little and focus on revenue only. Don't bother asking to see the manager, you'll have a long wait.

In summary, disappointing.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Damon F
Dear Mr. Simon,

I am sorry to read your review about our establishment. Be sure the feedback from our clients are very important for us and we have taken note of your suggestions for future.
In our website it is advised that our pool Bar Paréntesis is only open during the summer season ( from the 1st. of June ) even if our guests can enjoy the terrace and the pool out of these dates.
Once again, as we already wrote you answering your complain personally, it is not pleasant to read reviews like yours and it would have been a pleasure for us to clarify the issue personally with you.
Kind regards,
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The hotel is really Nice, comfortable and clean. It's close to airport(25 euros by cab) and close to Barcelona City(10 euros to La Rambla by cab). The staff are very helpful and nice. I loved the jacuzzi room, perfect for couples. The only negative was they forgot to clean our room first day, but when we told them they said that they will come with new sheets, towels and anything we needed :) Good service, We'll be back.

Room Tip: Jacuzzi hotel is really nice, perfect for couples

Thank misssharareh .
SBHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Plaza Europa, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Dear Nusssgaram

thank you for taking your time in reviewing our hotel in Tripadvisor. I'm glad to see that you really enjoyed your stay and specially the Jacuzzi Suite. A room thought to surprise our clients and make their stay unforgettable.
I hope you choose again Hotel SB Plaza Europa in your next visit to Barcelona.
Kind regards,

Ensenada, Mexico
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

We were just passing through so didn't get to try out the pool, restaurant, etc. but everything looked great! Our room was comfortable, clean, and well-equipped (loved the bunk beds for the kids! They were so excited!) Staff was friendly and helpful. Fun and stylish!

Stayed April 2014, travelled with family

Dear Alexis,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel in Tripadvisor.
I'm glad to read that your family enjoyed the room and that you also find our staff very friendly and helpful.
I hope you had more time to enjoy our facilities next time you visit us!
Best regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

Hotel was very good: easy to reach from the airport, accesible from down town, very close to Gran Via 2. Also the breakfast served in each morning is very rich.
On SB Plaza Europa we found also a good service provided both by reception staff and restaurant waiters. I'll be back ....Great choise for Barcelona...

2 Thank GeoIvanovici
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014

The hotel might not be easy to locate for first timer and travelling via the metro/train required transfer which takes a little bit more time.

However, the excellent service makes up for the frustration in locating the hotel.

A recommended stay away from the city centre if you preferred quiet and quality rest.

Room Tip: SB is the name of the hotel instead of looking for the name of the plaza.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo

#4 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Hotel Fira Congress
Hotel Fira Congress
#5 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Been to Hotel SB Plaza Europa? Share your experiences!