“First Trip to Barcelona”

Hotel SB Plaza Europa
Glasgow
“First Trip to Barcelona”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had a fantastic time at this hotel. It is modern has an amazing roof top space with good seating and tables and a pool which has views over the city, airport, hills etc. The rooms were lovely and modern with hairdryer, safe, tv, fridge and complimentary toothbrush, comb, razor, etc. We could not fault anything about this hotel. Staff were very friendly and reception staff were great at answering anything you asked them. The breakfast had good variety and something for everyone. The hotel has a sauna and steam room and gym. This hotel is less than 5 mins walk to the bus stop where there are numerous, regular buses (L94, L95) which take you to Placa Espanya (Magic Fountain) and Catalunya (to the top of La Rambla) which you can then easily access either by metro or foot to the other attractions. No. 46 bus runs from airport Terminal 2 to the Gran Via stop at the shopping mall Gran Via 2 (we had T10 tickets (book of ten - 10 euro 30) so all our journeys were around 1 euro, so really cheap. The shopping mall is lovely with loads of shops, H&M, Hollister, Nike, Sephora, etc and the biggest supermarket I have seen which sells just about everything over 2 floors. Drink prices for beer, coffees were really reasonable in the hotel as was food, pizza, burgers which were very nice. Free wifi and computer use. We had to wait a couple of hours for my daughter's room which was not an issue as we sat up in the roof terrace while we were waiting, and in compensation a nice bottle of champagne was sent to the room as compensation. This was our first trip to Barcelona, we loved it and will definitely be back at this hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Debra81

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ga
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I LOVED this hotel - It is very modern/stylish and practical - the room was quite comfortable - we even had an extra rollaway bed in there and it was still fine (ok, yes, it restricted space a bit - but it fit and we could still walk in the room - my 4 yrs old son and husband even played a bit of soccer - so that's pretty good!).

The bathroom was great! Very clean, comfortable and also stylish! The shower is huge and has a rain shower-head and also a wand. The *only* issue we had with the bathroom (in fact this was the only issue we had at all the entire trip) one night was a strange smell, this after they had cleaned. When I reported the problem they promptly sent someone up to investigate (hard to tell where it was coming from, so even she didn't really know) who immediately sent the cleaning person back up - She was EXTREMELY nice, and immediately knew that it was coming from the pipes and thus rather unsolvable - *but* she recleaned and freshened it up such that it was not noticeable even through the following morning - so I was pleased.

Transportation: it's quite far from all the tourist locations, for sure - the reason I picked it is that the hotels that ARE in near the tourist attractions are VERY expensive - from this hotel a 10 euro cab ride took us to the attractions and then we walked from one to the next until we took a cab back - it worked very well. There is also a metro station nearby, and had I not been toting a 4 year old I might have gone that route, but for the price difference, it just didn't really make sense - our time was better spent taking a quick cab, which enabled us to also see whatever was on the ride to where we were going.

Front desk was very helpful - they quickly gave me the info on the metro versus the cab and always helped with anything I needed. My first language actually is Spanish, so I didn't need them to speak anything other than their own language, but I heard them handling English very well, and also several other languages. They will hand you a map as soon as you ask about locations of anything, and that map was quite handy as I chose to walk once I was in the middle of the city.

The hotel breakfast, to me, was well worth it! They have a great selection of eggs (fried and scrambled), meats (two types of ham (pork and turkey) and bacon and something else, the little hot-doggy looking things - I'm not a meat eater so I trip on the terms, but my husband is a huge meat eater and he loved it all :), cheeses, breads, yogurt, cereal, fruit, croissants (the yummiest chocolate croissants - I do wish they had also had large plain croissants, but hey...) and a machine that will make you different types of coffee, tea and hot chocolate - my son loved the hot chocolate (I tasted it and the 'chocolate fuerte' WAS qutie yum), and my husband approved of the coffee (he's picky), although it wasn't his favorite he said (but I noted he took seconds one morning :) - all I ever drink is water and I was happy that they let me take a huge bottle of it to the table!

Room service, I thought, was well priced and the food was unexpectedly good! The salad I ordered was fresh and delicious - my son's pasta bolognese was a great portion and looked delicious, he ate up the whole thing, and my husband was pleased with his sandwich - and it was not overpriced at all - it was as if we had gone to any other random place on the street (plus a moderate service fee)- I really, really appreciate that.

One last thing abuot location - also nearby (as in, with an entrance practically across the street) is a mall! And in it there is a great selection of eating places! The front desk was so/so about it, instead recommending an eatery up the road the first night - which I did like!- but I wish they had been more complimentary of the 'food court' at the mall, as I think it was great! They have an italian place (that opens only at 7pm- for dinner at least, don't know about lunch), a place that's kinda like a Panera (for US folks) basically a chain sandwhich and salad place, and also a tapas place (probably also a chain, but with quite the local flair), which we really liked! There's also an ice cream/coffee place which my husband (and son, of course) loved - it is actually a chain throughout Barcelona at least, since we visited it twice near tourist attractions, and it really is quite good. They also have some american food palce, which we avoided, a ... I think it was KFC? - we also avoided :) and they had a subway and one more fast food. so OK, lots of generic fast food you don't want to eat as a tourist, but the tapas place was GREAT and the itialin place looked good! They have another floor with another italian place and a brasilian place (one of those that brings the meat to you, I think) and something else I can't remember - my point: lots of variety and great to have nearby for a quick dinner after a long day, especially, in my opinion, if you have kids, or a large group with different interests. The mall itself was pretty great with lots of stores at many different price points and lots of locals doing their shopping - there's also a Carrefour in the mall, which is pretty handy and there was a CVS-type pharmacy store as well if you need anything (these types of needs can also be taken care of at Carrefour). There is another, more local, super market down the street near the dining place that front desk recommended the first night. All in all - this was a fantastic hotel that was quite well situated, although no, it's not in the middle of the city and it's not on a 'quaint' Barcelona street with tons of cute cafes and whatnot - but for the price, I was more than pleased with what it had to offer!

oh - my husband said the gym was good :)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Hornchurch, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 June 2014

There was three of us on our trip, when we arrived the receptionist told us we had two rooms instead of one triple room (we informed her we only had one room but she insisted that it was fine & we can have both rooms) So we unpacked our clothes went to the mall opposite (which has many shops, restaurants & a great hair salon) came back to the hotel & our room card was blocked? Went to the reception to be told we have an hour to pack our stuff & stay in one room (what we said from the start) we stated this was poor customer service & after a 5am flight this was very frustrating. The receptionists were very rude & not apologetic we asked to speak with the manager who's apology was 'I can give byou hour and half' Was disgusted. We then went for lunch in the restaurant where the waitor was a yes man & didn't have a clue what we were saying. Ordered a chicken ceaser salad€12 came with no dressing, just leaves & croutons no chicken in sight! 3 mains took 3 hours & was sent back twice it took 4 waitresses/waiters 2 hours to get us a drink. This is not an exaggeration & the hotel was empty!!!! The food was the worst food I've ever seen aswell & I am an easily pleased person so that is saying something! The rooms are a lovely décor, not spacious, no long length mirror, sink in the bedroom not in the bathroom. 10 sunbeds at the pool area so you have to fight for a sunbed. View from pool is all industrial. Never will I be staying here again! La rambla is €10 in taxi- 10 min drive, beach is €20- 20 min drive. €21 from airport to hotel. Have to get taxi's everywhere due to location. This hotel is good for business people as very industrial. Definitely not 4* at all. Absolutely loved Barcelona though fantastic place & fabulous weather.

• Stayed June 2014
SBHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Plaza Europa, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear chelseaella1,
we take very seriously the feedback from our clients, it is very important to us.

We do make a mistake with your reservation as one of the rooms was already cancelled ( as you said us ) and when we realised that, we spoke with you inmediately. We gave you and hour and a half to change room which I find enough but as you were not happy at all with the person at the Front Desk, the Manager on duty offer you a complimentary meal at the restaurant and asked you to please change room when you finish.

I found your comments about the restaurant service very exaggerated, however I am sorry the meal didn't leave up to your expectations.

Yours sincerely,

Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 20 June 2014

The hotel has a good location for visiting Barcelona, it's only 2 metro stations away from Barcelona (plaza Espagna). If you're purpose of your stay is to explore Barcelona (sight seeing) than it doesn't really matter where you sleep, because all the highlights are spread throughout the city. The design of the hotel it's great and it has good facilities (rooftop pool, turkish bath, sauna, fitness). The daily breakfast buffet is also perfect.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Budapest, Hungary
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Location:
Its only a few stations from Plaça d'Espanya with the fast, modern FGC train. The stop is Ildefons Cerdá where you have to get out and walk like 5 minutes to the Hotel. From the airport its also easy access with FGC trains. As its not in the center you have a quiet neighbourhood and friendly prices per night. Just across the street and find yourself in shopping paradise Gran Via 2 where you can buy everything you need.

Hotel:
It opened last December so it still has that great "new smell" if you walk around. I love the design of the modern, clean rooms. Lobby with the massive book selection is amazing!
Order a beer sit down relax and enjoy the view of the design of the Hotel.

Room:
Clean modern design with nice furniture and great bed. Really great that they tried to use a lot of wood in the room. It makes you feel warm like at home. You have a small mini bar with snacks and drinks. You can also put your own drinks in the bar to keep it cold.
The LCD TV is on the wall with USB connection. Dont forget to bring your portable HDD with films and music. Mosly all formats are known so i could enjoy my own series on my own language whats a big plus if you dont find anything in the TV.

Bathroom:
Love it! The shower with the "rain" effect is just what i love and the glass wall. The soap machine on the wall gives you foam if you press it.They well equip they bathrooms with all things you may need (soap, comb, toothbrush, showercap etc)

Facilities:
There is a small GYM, Sauna and Turkish bath, Ice machine on every floor. Small fridge in your room with mini bar. Restaurand and great lobby at the entrance!

Staff:
Speaks english and always very friendly and ready to help you!
Maybe at the pool bar they were in bad mood or just dont wanted to work that day.

Pool:
They have a fantastic pool on the top of the Hotel whats perfect to refresh yourself on a warm sunny day. You can enjoy the view from the roof while swimming, drinking spanish beer or just sunbathing. Drink and just write all the stuff on your room.

Roof:
One info for airplane fans! Bring binocular with you as you have a prefect view from here on all landing planes on El Prat. Almost every minute a plane is approaching on the sky and begins landing!

As you cant get enough from Barcelona the next time i visit this great city i will book here again.
I can just only recommend everyone this great hotel!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SBHotels, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Hotel SB Plaza Europa, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dera Venom_six,

thank you very much for all your comments about our property. I am sure they will be very useful for people looking for a hotel in Barcelona.
Looking forward to seing you next time you visit Barcelona.
Kind regards,

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Hotel has both negatives and positives so it depends what you are looking for, location for Barcelona centre was not great however there is s tube you can catch just across the road, it takes around half a hour with stops and the underground in Spanish can be confusing. Another thing we found was the drink prices were expensive and outside the hotel was a school! Positives were the rooms, good air conditioning, clean, modern and the pastries at breakfast were some of the best i have seen.

Would not return to this hotel, as location was not practical for my needs however if you need to be in this area it is a great choice.

Oh and we were charged a unexpected 'tourist fee' each before leaving the hotel! Not a great end to our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Samantha,
thank you for reviewing our property in Tripadvisor. As you said we are not in the centre of Barcelona but well connected by public transport. There are some clients who prefer not being in the city centre and having instead the quietness of our neighborhood.
Anyway I am happy to read that you enjoyed the hotel for its rooms, the cleanliness and our super buffet breakfast.
About the tourist tax that every tourist who visit our country need to pay, that is a state tax payable on any tourist accommodation and is always informed once you book a room .
Best regards,

Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We were very happy with the location, also how clean & modern the hotel is.
Check in & check out was fast .
The hotel staff are friendly & polite.Rooms are very modern, but smallish.
We only stayed here one night on our way to Singapore.
If you are looking for a hotel not too far from the airport I would recommend this hotel.
The price is reasonable, & the breakfast is acceptable.
The taxi from the airport was 20 Euros, but on the way back it was 29 Euros, very strange

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Rickberge,

thank your comments about our property, I am sure they will be very useful for next clients.
I hope you choose again Hotel SB Plaza Europa when you visit again Barcelona.
Kind regards,

#8 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat
Hotel Fira Congress
Hotel Fira Congress
#5 of 10 in L'Hospitalet de Llobregat

Been to Hotel SB Plaza Europa? Share your experiences!