“Tired, Shabby and Dirty”

Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Garforth
Swansea, United Kingdom
“Tired, Shabby and Dirty”
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Reception was welcoming - and I was upgraded to an executive room.

Lounge and bar areas have been recently refurbished , and are by far the nicest part of the hotel.

The corridors to the rooms are dark and shabby - with lots of stairs -down 3 sets then up 2? There are several wheelchair hoists - but it would take an age to navigate through them all.

The room itself was OK - much nicer than the standard room I stayed in last time, but didn't compare with executive rooms in other Holiday Inns.

The pool was closed to guests when I tried to go for a swim - there was a ladies aqua size class in progress....

Food was good - but room service was expensive (£24 for Burger, Chips, Garlic Bread and a Pint).

My early morning call at 630 was the sound of a vacuum cleaner in the room above me... A bit early to start the cleaning my opinion.

Breakfast was excellent - hot and a good selection.

Check out was poor - I think the receptionist was new (and had no support). I originally received the wrong bill (4 times the cost of mine).
I had to wait 10 mins whilst it was sorted - and another 10 mins when I returned to get the car park code..

All in all, not a fantastic experience

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Dear No1WelshFamily,

Ben J
IHGCare

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Brighton , East Sussex
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Room was disappointing , not very clean, bathroom needs to be decorated and updated. The TV must be the oldest I have seen for a long time with poor picture quality. When I arrived at 5.30pm there were numerous room service plates outside rooms along the corridor . Bar staff were good but only one person on , so long line on people waiting to get served. Bed was uncomfortable and not a good night sleep, did mention this when checking out but just got a blank stare.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Dear rhodesiabill,

Thank you for your review. I greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. I apologize for the areas that we may have fallen short particularly with the room accommodations and service received at the hotel bar. I have taken note of these issues and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We would hope that you would give us another chance to meet your expectations next time and to provide you with a wonderful experience.

Zelyn N
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

It is with sincerest regret that I write this complaint, but I have to state that from start to finish my recent stay at holiday inn in Garforth was extremely unenjoyable to say the least.
Upon booking the room the person taking my details was an embarrassment to the business to say the least, she was incapable of taking my correct details which result in my booking being under Beverley Craven even I I had repeatedly stated my name , I had to repeat myself frequently throughout the entire booking to the point it became exasperating. This does not give any hotel a good impression.I was also talked into some Rewards scheme however I am still unclear as to how I benefited from it as it was not explained, nor did I see any example of any "rewards" throughout my stay.
Upon arrival I told the receptionist that my name was not Beverley, to which I received a snort!
I was then given a key for my room which did not work and after several tries I gave up and trailed my heavy bags to the nearest phone to get help. The young lady who helped me stated that in fact the key I had been given "did not work!". This did not get my stay off to a relaxing start!
I found the room disappointing especially at £49(even thought the website stated it was £44-yet another frustrating area during my conversation upon booking) and unfortunately was not as clean as one would naturally expect, countless hairs in the bathroom, and a bath that was filled had some kind of tape or packaging floating around in the bath that I had to empty and refill.
I ordered room service where upon I was served cold chips, my husband later ordered room service and commented that's chips were also cold. Needless to say we didn't eat them. The next point indeed maybe deemed as trivial but I must say that the hair dryer provided in the rooms is useless and gave my thumb cramp! Most in-affective and irritating to say the least, surely at your prices a more advanced and user friendly hair dryer could be provided. Trivial I know, but added on to the other issues it was yet another factor.
As soon as I woke up I left to go home, extremely disappointed and irritated instead of refreshed and relaxed. I did not wish to speak to any staff member about my experience, I simply wanted to leave as I was so upset.
I find complaining such a waste of time and energy however I was presented the "dear guest" letter at reception which clearly implies you care about your clients experience.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 17 February 2014
Dear Emily C,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at our hotel. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to Leeds.

Karen G.
Earth
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights recently. Getting into the hotel car park is the first difficult bit as there is no lighting to guide you to the entrance of the car park. If approaching from the M62 side you will see the Holiday Inn sign ahead and to your right, keep going past the hotel and go to the roundabout to do a 360 and head back to the hotel which will then have the entrance to your left.

Checking in was ok and I was assigned room 180. This proved to be a long long way away (not quite in a different time zone but it may have a different postcode) from reception. If you have heavy luggage and or mobility issues you will struggle to get to the higher number rooms. To get to the room there are numerous flights of stairs and no lifts (except for wheelchair lifts for small stairs).

The room itself was an absolute joke. 1. This was supposed to be a double room but actually had a single bed with another half a single bed tacked onto it. Totally unsuitable for a couple to sleep on. 2. The heating such as it was consisted of a hot water pipe running through the room and air blow heating which was incredibly noisy and didn't work even when I turned it up to 27 degrees. 3. Dated CRT TV with poor channel selection. 4. No laptop safe. 5. Absolutely dismal lighting which was certainly not good enough to read by and the light by the door randomly turned itself off and on.

The bar was ok and not overpriced. I ordered pizza on the first night which frankly was not very good and came with an unexpected extra topping of tomatoes which I didn't want and hadn't asked for. The toppings I had asked for were smothered with so much cheese that I couldn't actually tell what was what. It really shouldn't be too hard to make a pizza correctly.

On the second night I tried the beef chilli which was actually really nice (must have been a different chef). However, the bar ran out of most draught beers and the staff were either unwilling or unable to change barrels which shouldn't exactly be too hard for bar staff to perform.

Breakfast was ok with a reasonable selection of items although the croissants were too small and overcooked. On my second morning I was asked to sign for my breakfast -why? I guess it was just to make the waiter happy.

Checkout presented another issue when I needed to have the address changed on the invoice. The receptionist told me that it couldn't be done. Presumably this was because she didn't want to be bothered with the hassle. It turned out that it was very easily possible to change the address as it is easily possible to do so at evey other Holiday Inn I've ever stayed at.

Overall put this hotel down as an avoid unless you like poor service and poor cold rooms which take an age to get to.

Room Tip: Ask for lower number rooms as they are easier to get to.
1 Thank Des_Gruntled
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 8 February 2014
Dear Des_Gruntled,

Regards,

Karen C
Bellshill, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights whilst working in local area.

It is in a great location for motorway and very easy to find with or without a sat nav.

Room: The room itself was ok but slightly dated. Daft things like old fashioned box tv instead of flatscreen but that is nothing major.

Bathroom: I created seperate heading for this as it was very poor. It is requiring money spent on it urgently. Mouldy silicon all round bath, not hot water in morning but I had good temperature at 6pm both nights. Please fix this as it puts me off coming back.

Bar: Bar manager was very helpful and the selection of beer was excellent. (Becks, Stella, Strongbow, Guiness and Boddingtons all on draught)

Wifi: Not the greatest but better than a lot of hotels as I could get a reasonable connection in room.

Restaurant: Bit slow for service as it took 50 mins for main meal to come but food was ok.

Reception: Very helpful and done good job.

Overall it was not bad stay, just a shame about bathroom.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Dear rangersgary,

Thank you very much for your feedback. We value your comments, as they enable us to further improve our services and to surpass the very high standards our guests expect. I certainly appreciate the compliments on the staff and the level of service provided. It encourages our team members to work even harder and consistently delight our guests. However, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the bathroom conditions may have caused you. Rest assured that the issues you have raised have been documented and will be forwarded to the appropriate departments for necessary actions.

Thank you again for your comments as this is very helpful to us to ensure we are able to meet our guests expectations. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the near future.

Janice A
United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We got a really good price on this hotel as a last minute deal.

The hotel is quite standard but has all of the basics expected. The staff were friendly and welcoming. The fitness and swimming facilities were good.

We have since unfortunately fallen out with Holiday Inn due to extremely poor customer service prior to another hotel we stayed in. If you do experience any issues, don't expect them to resolve it or even apologise.

This hotel however was good and we didn't need to complain about anything. We really enjoyed the breakfast and our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Katelios, Greece
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed hear for the new years eve gala night last year and a wonderful time food and everything, but unfortunately this time new year 2013 we were looking forward to the evening but the food was terrible, and very small the 3 roast potatoes were warmed up and the veg was so hard it was uneatable, if it wasn't for the people on the next table it would have been a total wash out plus children running around at breakfast in there night clothes. The breakfast was very good as we were very hungry not even any biscuits in the room only tea and coffee, I hope this will change as I think they will be loosing a lot of custom.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank christinelaine
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 25 January 2014
Dear christinelaine,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. I apologize for the areas that we may have fallen short particularly with the quality of food items that was served during dinner. Your review is very important to us which will help us improve our service and products for each guest. Thank you so much for your time. We hope to serve you again in the future.

Zelyn N
IHGCare
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garforth
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
Thorpe Park Hotel & Spa
Holiday Inn Express Leeds East
Premier Inn Leeds East Hotel
Leeds Marriott Hotel
Leeds Marriott Hotel
#23 of 86 in Leeds
Hotel ibis budget Leeds Centre

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth? Share your experiences!