“Dirty and dingy!”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Garforth
Bury, United Kingdom
“Dirty and dingy!”
Reviewed 20 April 2014 via mobile

Wish we had read the reviews before booking! The main reception is nice but it ends there. The corridors had ripped wallpaper, holes in the ceiling, signs of damp. Our room was filthy but due to lack of time we couldn't do anything about it. Carpet was filthy, windows were full of black mould, bathroom was dirty, pubic hair on the floor, rusted fittings, black grout, shower leaked the whole time. Serious redecoration needed as well as a hoover as under our bed has not been done for I dread to think how long!!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank AllyEndyKey
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your review. Please accept my sincere apology that you found the room and corridor below the standard that should be expected. There is no excuse for poor cleanliness, this matter has been addressed and it is not the standard throughout. The hotel is very recently under new ownership and will see major investment throughout the hotel in the next 12 months. In the meantime, we will strive to ensure all our guests receive great customer service and high levels of cleanliness.

I'm certain that, should you choose the hotel again in the future, you would see notable improvements and we hope to welcome you back to restore your faith once more.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
Huddersf
Reviewed 19 April 2014

Having been to this hotel many times I think this could be our last,for the second stay running our heating wasn't working,we phoned to complain and got the same excuse as our last stay,the said they would bring a heater to our room which they never did,there was half a toilet roll so we had to ask for more,the soap ran out in the dispenser on our 1st night plus the complimentary milks were off like they had been in there for ages,at breakfast the next morning we had to ask twice for tea and coffee and the food took a long time to come out,we've enjoyed this hotel in the past but standards have definitely slipped now

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your recent review and for your loyal custom. I am sorry that your most recent experience was below expectations. The hotel is recently under new ownership and new management and I'm sure each visit in the future you will see more notable improvements throughout on each visit.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel in the future and retain your loyal custom.
Cuffley,Hertdordshire
Reviewed 18 April 2014

We stayed here for two nights to attend a family gathering in the area....we were given a very warm welcome and the reception staff were extremely helpful....as smokers we really appreciated the added facility of 'smoking rooms'...something that is becoming a rarity...we had breakfast on both days which was very pleasant...Sunday was much busier than Monday but that was to be expected..didn't have evening meals there as we were meeting up with family on both days....would definately recommend to anyone who wants to stay in Leeds and not be too far from the centre and A1....

Room Tip: Most of the rooms seem to be of the same standard...our rooms were quite a walk away from reception
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely 5 star review. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and would recommend us to others. I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.
Wrexham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 April 2014

I haven't stayed here for quite a few years and I must admit room 54 was compact and dark,the bathroom was looking very dated. I had Chicken Caesar salad for dinner and the chicken had been burnt on the outside by the grill. How ever the staff were excellent and offered me a free desert to compensate.
The biggest let however was the WiFi, not quick enough to catch a cold!!!
I even tried to use the personal hotspot on my iphone but I couldn't get a 3G or 4G signal, one day hotels will wake up to the fact that people want and need to have fast internet access. Thankfully because I am a priority club member I didn't pay for the WiFi, good job really.
As a business traveller I won't stop again because of the internet access.

Room Tip: Upgrade the room as the standard room is just average.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review and for choosing our hotel for your recent stay. Please don't let the wifi put you off future stays. We are currently awaiting the installation of superfast fibre optic wifi which will be able to deal with the high demand for wifi we are currently experiencing much better than the current system. It should all be in place very soon. We are making improvements in many areas of the hotel and this is one of them.

We hope to welcome you back in the future and I am certain you have a much better experience.
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Myself, wife and two young children stayed for 1 night in a family room. It cost £64 for bed and breakfast. The reception and restaurant area of the hotel are very nice and modern. The corridors and rooms however are a little dated.

The family room was a double bed and sofa bed. A little small but clean and tidy. We had room service - club sandwich / veggie burger which was nice enough. Under 12s ate free which was a nice bonus. We didn't use the health centre but it looked nice with a smallish pool. Breakfast the next morning was all you can eat and was very nice.

Unfortunately what let the whole place down was as it is facing a waste management centre was the awful stench that lingered around the hotel. Outside, in the corridors and around your room. Now I don't know if it was an isolated incident or a particularly bad day but it has definitely put us off from staying again.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Dazbooter
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and found your bedroom to be clean. The kids eat free certainly makes dining with us as a family great value for money and I am delighted you enjoyed both your room service and breakfast dining experience.

The smell you mention from the time of your stay was not from the waste recycling plant, which causes us no issues what so ever. We have a farm close by and very occasionally the farmer has to conduct a farming procedure which can cause that "country" smell. It lasts about 6 to 12 hours and then disappears without trace.

The chances of it happening on your next visit are remote, so we hope it will not put you off visiting us again in the future.
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Bit of pain booking on line but that's sorted now
Great welcome on arrival, felt like I was the favourite returning customer, big smile from receptionist. Booked in efficiently, and had my request for room close to reception was met, though don't think I'll have this room again, yes it was comfortable, but no wireless reception, nor any radio reception (I like to listen to radio as I fall asleep)
This time it was a standard room and it was a 'basic' room, never the less I had a great sleep both nights, facilities were as you would expect ..table under a mirror, wardrobe with built in trouser press, and tea and coffee facilities (no biscuits)
It was a very quiet room, despite the carpark out side (as opposed to inside ha ha) seriously though it was very quiet.
I wasn't impressed with the bathroom in fact the opposite, it was very tired looking and had paint over the sealent were it was missing, , but the room was fit for purpose, it was just a couple of nights and was out all day.
On my first night I went to the bar for some food, I only had a burger but it was one of the best I've had, it was a proper meaty burger, not a thin frozen burger company one.
For the first time in this hotel I used the pool it was before breakfast and very quiet, again the staff here were great
I don't know if it was the swimming but I went for breakfast and I really enjoyed the food, and probably ate too much
The receptionist was very good finding me a local hairdresser for me even making the appointment for me
For the price I paid you couldn't really go wrong .. Apart from staying in a different hotel
I'll be back next month

Room Tip: I've stayed several times at this hotel and I did request a room close to reception so not comp...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for our hotel and for being a loyal customer. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and that the burger was one of the best you have had.

I am delighted you will be returning to us soon and I am certain that on each return visit you will notice improvements to the standards and facilities. We will soon have superfast fibre optic wifi all around the hotel and brand new equipment throughout the gym. Over the next 12 months there will be a considerable amount of investment in the hotel including complete refurbishment of all the bedrooms and bathrooms.

We look forward to welcoming you back next month.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014

We booked the room 10 days before and got it for £0 which was brilliant (2 adults & a child). Room was warm, comfortable, good tv, tea and coffee making facilities etc. The swimming pool really excited my daughter which was a great bonus. Free parking and easy to get into Leeds and nearby attractions. Will be returning.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank m.obrien83
Thank you for your great review of the hotel. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and found us to be great value for money. It's always nice to know that guests will be returning and we look forward to welcoming you back.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garforth
Leeds City Centre
Novotel Leeds Centre
Holbeck
Clayton Hotel Leeds
Clayton Hotel Leeds
#13 of 87 in Leeds

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth? Share your experiences!