“Basic Hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Garforth
Paisley
“Basic Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here for third time as it is close to Leeds. The foyer is attractive and nicely set out. The rooms are basic but clean and the breakfast is ok but not exceptional. .Make sure you ask for non smoking room as others reek of smoke and are unusable. The swimming pool is small and used by in house gym club but acceptable with steam room and sauna.
Overall acceptable for one or two night stay but no longer.

Room Tip: Must be non smoking
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review and for being a loyal customer. I am glad you enjoyed many apsects of your stay and found your room to be clean. We have many improvements in the pipeline so we look forward to welcoming you back so you can experience them and I'm sure you will find the hotel will have improved in some way on each visit.

Yours sincerely

Suzanne Bush

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent 3 nights in the hotel in April 2014. An average Holiday Inn that could do with a little refurb!
We chose this hotel for its location and the pool. We always stay in Holiday Inns and because of the ridiculously low price offered to IHG Reward Club members. We used the hotel as a base to visit York (less than 30 minutes away).
A nice friendly welcome but brief as the kids were more interested in getting to the room and finding the swimming pool.
The hotel does have a very strange layout. From the lobby you head down a couple of steps, round a corner, down a few more steps, along a corridor (with windows overlooking the pool), turn the corner and up a flight of stairs, then along another corridor, another corner and finally reach a long corridor of hotel rooms. As I am always the family "pack horse", I was relieved to get to the room!
On the second day I discovered that the additional parking area was just next to the room.
The room itself was standard. Could do with a couple of extra plug sockets (but that is just being picky). Decoration was okay, cleanliness fine, bathroom functional - but it felt like it could do with a little sprucing up - but nothing you could actually quantify. My only gripe about the room was the beds. The sofa bed was very lumpy, even the children could feel the metal bars through the mattress. The double bed was really not comfortable and I had a terrible night's sleep.
The gym and swimming pool are good, but again the layout seems a bit weird. The pool is smaller than many Holiday Inn pools and there is no jacuzzi.
The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast and as usual was one the highlights of our stay. The evening meals were a little disappointing (too salty and too ambitious). The steak house across road got our custom on the last night as we would have been unable find a 3rd meal from the menu.
The hotel is well located, close to the motorway, Leeds and York.It is in a quiet location (very little in the immediate area).The rooms were quiet, even with a wedding reception going on in one of the function rooms. Generally an "ok" hotel, but needs some work or could easily slip to "poor" hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to write us a review. The hotel has new owners and has a great deal of investment planned in the next 12 months including all bedrooms and bathrooms being completely refurbished. In the meantime, we aim to offer clean facilities, as you found, and great service. I appreciate your feedback and I will share it with the team.

We hope you will stay with us again soon.

Staffordshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Garforth as part of a coach tour to York. The hotel is quite adequate. The menu for evening meals was a fixed one but the food was very nice. Breakfasts were very good indeed. The room was clean and tidy and was perfectly adequate for our needs. The room had functioning air conditioning which makes a pleasant change, most hotels seem to have poor imitations of air conditioning. The staff were generally pleasant and helpful. The one downside was that on the Saturday evening a wedding party was in and there seemed to be a lack of organisation at the bar, there seemed to be no order and you could wait ages to be served but then someone just walk up and be served immediately, that was the only down side of our stay. We would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed all the key elements of a good coach tour stay - clean room, pleasant staff, nice meal and a great breakfast. I will pass your feedback about the bar on to our Food and Beverage Manager so we can address this. All events and weddings have their own bars and only use the pubic bar whilst we refresh their room from day time to evening. I apologise that your experience was impacted by this and we will do what we can to improve this in the future.

Yours sincerely

Bridlington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great,staff friendly,food was good,we had room 122 it was very clean,TV worked,bathroom was spotless..would stay again next time were in Leeds ....only down point even though bar is open 24hrs,after 11pm you can only pay with credit/debit card, which no member of staff told us this,maybe when people check in they should be told ...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great 5 star review of our hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and found your room spotlessly clean. I will pass on your suggestion to our Front Desk Manager so that this can be explained better on check in.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

At the start of our stay we were checked in by a receptionist that gave us our room keys, we weren't asked if we had stayed in the hotel before, we weren't advised of the facilities available, we weren't told what time meals were served and when I asked if there was a lift available as one of our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs we were told no there wasn't a lift in the hotel. Upon finding our 1st room we found it to be in a tired state and I found it poor value for money. My 7 year old son and I headed off to find our 2nd room which was located on the next floor, upon entering the room it became apparent that this room was already occupied. Thankfully there were no other guests in the room; I would hate to imagine what we could have walked into. I went straight to reception to resolve the problem, when I explained what had happened to the manager he approached the receptionist that checked us in and she point blank denied giving us the room key. We had been in the hotel less than 20 minutes and I'm not sure where the receptionist thought we had obtained the room key from but I was less then amused at being called a liar. The manager of course apologise to us in the way that they are trained to do so, robotically and not really bothered about the inconvenience it had caused us. I asked again about a lift, explaining again that one of the guests in our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs and again I was told no there wasn't a lift in the hotel. Upon entering the 2nd room we found it to be in an even worse state than the 1st room, there was dust on the lamp, no working light bulbs, holes in the window coverings and mould around the taps on the bath/shower. I didn't report it to the manager. After being called a liar to my face by the receptionist and already having dealt with a manager that was as much use as a chocolate teapot, I had resided to the fact that I would be wasting my breath. When parking my vehicle for the evening at the rear of the hotel, I discovered 2 unsecured doors that were signposted by hotel room numbers. After investigating where they lead to, it became quite obvious that they lead to the floor that both of my rooms were located, so after explaining to 2 members of staff (1 being a manager) that one of the guests in our group has walking difficulties and struggles with stairs not once had they said "we don't have a lift but you could use the doors off the car park which avoids all of the stairs". Most of the guests within our group had a disturbed nights sleep due to other guests shouting, doors banging and children running up and down the corridors throughout the night and into the early hours. When it was time to check out and return the room keys I was faced with the same 2 members of staff that I had encountered the previous day. The receptionist asked me for my room numbers as I passed over the room keys and just simply said to me "that's fine". There was no have a nice day, did you enjoy your stay or have a safe journey home. Surely these are the basics of being a receptionist??? As you can probably tell that my stay was less that average, I wasn't happy with the way I was treated, I don't think the staff on the reception area that day gave a damn about my experience as a guest and as the 1st time I had stayed in an Holiday Inn, I can honestly say that I would not stay in one of your hotels ever again.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank joanne_james81
I apologise that you had such a bad experience in our hotel. I was quite horrified when I read your review and looked at your photos, so I did a considerable amount of investigation into the issues you raised, as this is not our usual standard. I am very sorry that this was your experience. It has highlighted some further training needs with our trainee receptionist and this has been addressed. The final room you were allocated, which was in a very poor condition, was out of order and not supposed to be in use at all. All the other issues you have raised have been brought to the attention of our Front Desk Manager.

Your feedback is appreciated. We made mistakes and there is no excuse for that but i can assure you the issues you have experienced have been addressed.
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times now. This last visit has convinced me to try elsewhere when I am next in Leeds. The onsite parking is good however from then on it's not so good. For some reason the smoking area is in the entrance to the hotel? As a non smoker I hate walking through a wall of smoke on entry and exit of a hotel or restaurant. The reception staff were polite and courteous. This may just be me but I was put in the room furthest from civilisation. The hotel had a gym and pool but thanks to the walk back and forth I didn't need it! The rooms are at best dated and tired. Perhaps it's time for a refurb? Breakfast was ok but again the restaurant manager put me on a table furthest from the food. I am sure there is nothing about me that warrants this treatment??? Perhaps a coincidence. So the stay was ok but not good enough that I will stay on my next visit to Leeds though I will try again in the future.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
MGRROTH, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your feedback. The hotel has recently been taken over by new owners and there is major investment in the pipeline over the next 12 months throughout the whole hotel. In the meantime, with a new management team recently put in place, we are improving many aspects of the hotel and we will also look at alternatives for a smoking area. I am sure on future visits to the hotel you will notice improvements each time and I assure you throughout we will always aim to provide friendly, attentive service and high levels of cleanliness.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon and restore your faith once more.
St Helens
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

My one and only negative comment can come first but it is only a minor point and general accepted - Severely over priced bar! I know hotels have notoriously over charged in their bars but this one has to be the most expensive I've come across so far, it just puts a dampener on your stay when you know your being fleeced. Anyway, the hotel reception is very pleasant as are the staff, very welcoming and efficient. Our room was surprisingly nice, I'd booked a smoking room and in fairness did expect it to be a little grubby because of the nature of the room, however I was pleased to find a lovely clean room with an enormous bed plus a nice clean bathroom (toilet seat was a bit loose but not wobbly so no great shakes). You can smell that this is a smoking room but as we both smoke it was not something to put you off, a little extra freshener may improve that a little. Although we didn't use the gym or pool (forgot my bikini) they did look fine from the window so can't really review on that facility. We didn't have dinner in the hotel but the buffet style breakfast was plentiful, no-one should go hungry there, again with pleasant helpful staff attending.

We had hoped to venture into Leeds City Centre for a night out but the Leeds-Garforth is a bit out of the way and I felt a taxi would of been quite pricey both ways. Instead we opted for a bit of a scoot around Garforth village; the Hungry Horse pub seemed to be the main hub with a couple of other pubs around and only £3.50 each way in a taxi which reception sorted for us.

Overall a pleasant stay but not much to do nearby without using the car or taxis.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to the area. I was delighted that you found your room and bathroom clean and the staff pleasant and helpful. We believe our bar prices are in line with all the hotels in the area and in many cases we offer better value for money, however, we will review this again in the coming weeks.

We hope to welcome you back to the hotel on any future visits to the area.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garforth
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
Leeds Marriott Hotel
Leeds Marriott Hotel
#24 of 86 in Leeds
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,917 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth? Share your experiences!