“Nice location, lovely staff - shame about the pool”

Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Garforth
Edinburgh
“Nice location, lovely staff - shame about the pool”
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Paid a really good price for a double room for the family and it was lovely and clean and comfy, with reaqlly great and friendly staff. However the whole thing was let down by the leisure pool. Our 2 young kids were excited at the prospect of having a swim every morning, and the pool was ideally suited for them. What ruined it was the fact that both mornings (Sat and Sun) the pool was also used by professional swimming instructors to give private lessons. The whole time we were in the pool we continually got daggers from the instructor and just felt like we were intruding. Why do a big chain like this feel the need to squeeze every drop of profit from their facilities to the detriment of their guests!

Room Tip: The place is a rambling building. Once you find your room go back and move the car to an exit neare...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 24 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for choosing our hotel for your recent visit to the area. I am delighted that you found the room to be clean and comfy and the staff great and friendly. I take on board your comments about the swimming lessons. We do only do lessons at traditionally quiet times in the pool and swimming lessons are to be the subject of a review in the near future so we will take your feedback into account when this takes place.

We hope it will not put you off staying with us again on your next visit to the area and we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Suzanne Bush

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 May 2014

we recently had a naming day celebration ,the carpets were badly stained as was the chairs,the room set up for the buffet was the same with the added bonus of the left over bits all over the floor from a previous party,they were under staffed the bar was poorly stocked and we had to ask for it to be opened,the food was late coming out and did so in dribs and drabs.there were plugs with bare wires showing.this venue needs a refurb.and some good cleaners.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. I greatly appreciate your feedback as this gives us the avenue to improve on our guest satisfaction. I apologise for the areas that we may have fallen short particularly with the timing of the buffet and service received at the hotel bar. I have taken note of these issues and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

I know you resolved any issues you had on the day with the manager on duty and I can assure you that this is also not the standard I expect of the team and that actions have been taken.

Prestwick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Room was great, very clean and tidy. Room keeping staff 10/10! My rant begins. Bar serves warm beer. Stella is sold in an Asda pint glass. Hotel is under staffed as you need to wait a long time for your warm beer. Dinner services was terrible, almost embarrassing!! Food not the greatest either. Had to send back pasta dish as pasta hadn't been drained properly, so I had a lovely puddle at the base of my plate. On my 2nd night I gave the benefit of the doubt and ordered a pizza. I ordered a pepperoni pizza, without looking at the menu. Obviously my fault. Waiter took my order, and my pizza came. Wasn't a pepperoni. It was a ham and mushroom pizza. I politely asked the waiter if a mistake had been made. He grabbed plate away and marched up with a menu. He asked me 'please point to pepperoni on the menu? We don't do pepperoni' luckily I was in a good mood or that guy wouldn't have a job, lol. Anyway, nice clean hotel. But if your staying, avoid bar and restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you found your room and the hotel to be clean and I am very sorry that you received such poor service. It is not our usual standard and our Food and Beverage Manager will look into this shortfall. I've checked the beer and it seems to be back to normal and cold. We had no other reports of the beer being warm, so I have been unable to get to the bottom of it but I apologise sincerely that this was your experience.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to restore your faith in the hotel once again in the future.

Paisley
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Stayed here for third time as it is close to Leeds. The foyer is attractive and nicely set out. The rooms are basic but clean and the breakfast is ok but not exceptional. .Make sure you ask for non smoking room as others reek of smoke and are unusable. The swimming pool is small and used by in house gym club but acceptable with steam room and sauna.
Overall acceptable for one or two night stay but no longer.

Room Tip: Must be non smoking
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Thank you for your review and for being a loyal customer. I am glad you enjoyed many apsects of your stay and found your room to be clean. We have many improvements in the pipeline so we look forward to welcoming you back so you can experience them and I'm sure you will find the hotel will have improved in some way on each visit.

Ipswich, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We spent 3 nights in the hotel in April 2014. An average Holiday Inn that could do with a little refurb!
We chose this hotel for its location and the pool. We always stay in Holiday Inns and because of the ridiculously low price offered to IHG Reward Club members. We used the hotel as a base to visit York (less than 30 minutes away).
A nice friendly welcome but brief as the kids were more interested in getting to the room and finding the swimming pool.
The hotel does have a very strange layout. From the lobby you head down a couple of steps, round a corner, down a few more steps, along a corridor (with windows overlooking the pool), turn the corner and up a flight of stairs, then along another corridor, another corner and finally reach a long corridor of hotel rooms. As I am always the family "pack horse", I was relieved to get to the room!
On the second day I discovered that the additional parking area was just next to the room.
The room itself was standard. Could do with a couple of extra plug sockets (but that is just being picky). Decoration was okay, cleanliness fine, bathroom functional - but it felt like it could do with a little sprucing up - but nothing you could actually quantify. My only gripe about the room was the beds. The sofa bed was very lumpy, even the children could feel the metal bars through the mattress. The double bed was really not comfortable and I had a terrible night's sleep.
The gym and swimming pool are good, but again the layout seems a bit weird. The pool is smaller than many Holiday Inn pools and there is no jacuzzi.
The restaurant serves an excellent breakfast and as usual was one the highlights of our stay. The evening meals were a little disappointing (too salty and too ambitious). The steak house across road got our custom on the last night as we would have been unable find a 3rd meal from the menu.
The hotel is well located, close to the motorway, Leeds and York.It is in a quiet location (very little in the immediate area).The rooms were quiet, even with a wedding reception going on in one of the function rooms. Generally an "ok" hotel, but needs some work or could easily slip to "poor" hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
SuzanneBush, General Manager at Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth, responded to this review, 4 May 2014
Thank you for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and for taking the time to write us a review. The hotel has new owners and has a great deal of investment planned in the next 12 months including all bedrooms and bathrooms being completely refurbished. In the meantime, we aim to offer clean facilities, as you found, and great service. I appreciate your feedback and I will share it with the team.

We hope you will stay with us again soon.

Staffordshire
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Garforth as part of a coach tour to York. The hotel is quite adequate. The menu for evening meals was a fixed one but the food was very nice. Breakfasts were very good indeed. The room was clean and tidy and was perfectly adequate for our needs. The room had functioning air conditioning which makes a pleasant change, most hotels seem to have poor imitations of air conditioning. The staff were generally pleasant and helpful. The one downside was that on the Saturday evening a wedding party was in and there seemed to be a lack of organisation at the bar, there seemed to be no order and you could wait ages to be served but then someone just walk up and be served immediately, that was the only down side of our stay. We would stay here again.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel. I was pleased to read you enjoyed all the key elements of a good coach tour stay - clean room, pleasant staff, nice meal and a great breakfast. I will pass your feedback about the bar on to our Food and Beverage Manager so we can address this. All events and weddings have their own bars and only use the pubic bar whilst we refresh their room from day time to evening. I apologise that your experience was impacted by this and we will do what we can to improve this in the future.

Bridlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

Hotel was great,staff friendly,food was good,we had room 122 it was very clean,TV worked,bathroom was spotless..would stay again next time were in Leeds ....only down point even though bar is open 24hrs,after 11pm you can only pay with credit/debit card, which no member of staff told us this,maybe when people check in they should be told ...

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your great 5 star review of our hotel. I'm delighted you enjoyed many aspects of your stay and found your room spotlessly clean. I will pass on your suggestion to our Front Desk Manager so that this can be explained better on check in.

We hope to welcome you back soon.

Suzanne Bush
Also consider these accommodations in or near Garforth
Best Western Plus Milford Hotel
#23 of 86 in Leeds
Oulton Hall & Spa
Oulton Hall & Spa
#1 of 1 in Oulton

Been to Holiday Inn Leeds Garforth? Share your experiences!