“absolutely fabulous, will definitely go back” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lough Rynn Castle Estate & Gardens

Lough Rynn Castle Estate & Gardens
Monaghan, Ireland
“absolutely fabulous, will definitely go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

We had a wonderful time, when we checked in we were upgraded to a suite which was stunning and pure luxury, views of the lake and gardens were beautiful , service was excellent, staff very friendly and helpful. Very impressed.....would definitely recommend lough rynn

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank fordey500

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
Galway
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

This isn't a hotel stay but an experience. Lovingly restored to it's former glory you can just imagine those walking around it a century ago. The gardens are gorgeous for walks, the staff were lovely, the breakfast delicious!
Our room was amazing with a door on to the hotel corridor and another large door onto a cute courtyard.
If I were to find one negative I guess there is the absence of a spa or pool but I did see mention of a sister hotel where you could use their facilities.
We really enjoyed our stay and if we can will visit again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Charlottesville, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

We visited several gardens in Ireland, but Lough Rynn has one of the best! I stayed there as part of a group. We stayed in one of the "houses". Very comfortable room, and bath had heated floor. Fabulous beds! A little trouble with dim reading light and getting room temperature adjusted. Most meals were outstanding! Final breakfast was shaky as they were short handed due to a wedding the previous night. Many steps are marked with signs, but they missed one outside our room and my travel companion tripped and hit the stone wall with her head. They were very attentive and provided ice bags.
this was the "treat" hotel of our trip. Great hotel, but not perfect.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jmoore964
Galway, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2011

On arrival we were told that we would be waiting in the courtyard rooms which is basically another buiding which is about a 5 min walk from the actual castle itself. We actually drove over to this building from reception as it was raining. The staff were excellent and very friendly, however they did get my order wrong, which can happen anywhere though. The room itself was spacious, however there was no bottled water in the room which I thought would be provided and we ordered breakfast to the room as it would have been a nice walk in the rain to it otherwise! The gardens are lovely and it was a nice peaceful stay, but would I come back, no.

4 Thank brookieireIre
Roscommon, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2011

Having booked my room over the phone last October for my May stay I have to say I was extremely disappointed to be put in the lodge which was outside the hotel & a good 5 minute walk from the function room. The walk is very dimely lit & it was raining so I got soaked. I was never told when I was booking the hotel that this was the case which if you have to leave the hotel should be a requirement. Having paid €175 for the pleasure of staying here in the current times I feel I was duely ripped off & would not recommend staying here, considering I could have rented a house in the grounds for the same money & the same walk & could have slept 6 people. But as a treat & a well deserved break we said we'd book a room in the hotel. HOW WRONG WE WERE.....My husband is recovering from an accident & in his condition the walk to the room was extreme.

7 Thank jc050173
Roscommon, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2011

I booked the hotel 2 months before the wedding and was quoted €175 for what I thought was a hotel room. I also enquired about the houses but went with paying extra for the convenience of the hotel room. After checking in, I discovered our so called hotel room was in a lodge a 3 min walk down the road. Adding further insult, the room was at the top of a lethal 2 story spiral stair case and the room was so small, there was nowhere to even put my case. There was a smell of sewage in the bathroom too. After trodding back in the pouring rain to complain. I was met with little sympathy only to be told "they must have forgot to inform me the location of my room" but they also forgot to inform my sister and mother who were also put in the same building. I was not happy to pay full price for what the others guests paid for the luxury of bigger rooms within the building and was not offered a discount as requested. In all my travels this hotel was the biggest let down and I feel utterly ripped off and feel I was fraudently sold this room.

6 Thank Rossie25
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2011

It was my daughter's First Holy Communion day & we booked Lough Rynn for the meal. The staff were so helpful & made our day so special. Big big thank you to Ciaran Reidy, Catherine, Ashling, Pamela, Angela & all the other staff. The meal was out of this world, very generous portions. Everyone was so happy with it. The gardens are a must too. We had a lovely walk after the meal. We will be back very soon.

Room Tip: Speak to Ciaran or Catherine